Knife Thread

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I'm a Wusthof fanboi, but I use their stuff a lot and it's quality. That's the Classic Ikon range which is a lot more than you want to spend, but it's made me trust the brand so I'd probably try something like,

https://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/pt/-gourmet-chef-s-knife-8.htm

NB. I've only used the Classic Ikon knives and have not used the one I've linked to.

Got treated to one these at christmas

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZELITE-INF...5&keywords=zelite+infinity+alpha+royal+series

Really nice, a great weight to it, doubt i will ever need to buy another knife again apart from the bread knife, boning knife, paring knife. Oh and if they invite light sabre knives which is no brainier tbh.

Associate
I got a Flint and Flame 6" santoku for Christmas. It's my first decent knife so all I can say is that it's miles better than the set I had before. I've managed toslice through my thumb already so it looks like I'll have to start looking up vids on how to use a knife properly!

upw3Rdj.png

I've got the 5piece set and a kitchen knife of the Flint and Flame - Love em :)

Soldato
I'm still unconvinced by santoku benefits, other than asthetics .. now on my 2nd, more expensive zwilling pure, following victorinox,
scallops don't release onions, say, and also blade is less curved than chef knife so a rocking action is difficult. ... but maybe I got it wrong

Does anyone know where I can buy a carbon steel meat cleaver in the UK or EU?
I'd go, but have not yet gone, alibaba, I posted some contenders way back.

NOTE; can we avoid v high res bitmaps, in this thread, or spoiler them .. previous pages take so long to load I stopped looking

Soldato
I've had my Wusthof Classic Ikon Scalloped Santoku for about a year now. I think I asked here when I first got it what I should use to keep the edge :o It's my birthday coming up so wondering if I should ask for something. Just get a steel? Or anything more complicated?

Soldato
I've been using a steel for mine and it's done the job well keeping a good edge, watched a couple of YouTube videos to get a better idea.

I also watched a couple using a sharpening stone to sharpen the knife, the video I watched was by Babish and it doesn't look too difficult a process, however I'm sure there are better videos out there.

Edited - worded things incorrectly.

Last edited:
Soldato
A steel is for honing the knife, not sharpening. It will help keep a sharp knife sharp, but won’t make a blunt knife sharp.
Thanks. Relatively easy for me to get to places that will sharpen it I think, so if I do that once a year perhaps a steel is all I need?

Soldato
I had re-posted the same link ..but if you look at that manufacturer they have a genuine cleaver;
UK samuel staniforth seem to have stainless ones...

Associate
Any recommendations for a decent gardening knife? Gf's dad just recommended a Stanley knife which is the default but something with a 2-3"ish blade that I can keep sharp with my Lansky kit would be good. Not fussed about having one with a hooked blade, does having a bit of an inward curve really make a difference? It'll mostly be for slicing ends off lettuces and cutting up brassica stalks or a bit of light pruning.

Soldato
Any recommendations for a decent gardening knife? Gf's dad just recommended a Stanley knife which is the default but something with a 2-3"ish blade that I can keep sharp with my Lansky kit would be good. Not fussed about having one with a hooked blade, does having a bit of an inward curve really make a difference? It'll mostly be for slicing ends off lettuces and cutting up brassica stalks or a bit of light pruning.

I don't use it for gardening but I have a Victorinox Alox Farmer on my keyring. The Alox ones have a slighly thicker/better blade than the standard Swiss Army Knives, it's a really nice quality multi tool with a decent 2.7-3" knife that's easy to keep sharp.

Failing that Opinel do great little knives (including ones specifically for gardening) for less than a tenner.

Associate
I don't use it for gardening but I have a Victorinox Alox Farmer on my keyring. The Alox ones have a slighly thicker/better blade than the standard Swiss Army Knives, it's a really nice quality multi tool with a decent 2.7-3" knife that's easy to keep sharp.

Failing that Opinel do great little knives (including ones specifically for gardening) for less than a tenner.

Thanks, I might treat myself to one of those and post obligatory pictures. Need to decide which first, the opinel 3"one does look the one.

Soldato
Hey all,

Been considering my options for my first "all purpose" knife, and having always liked Japenese knives I ended up having a chat with a lovely bloke at a local shop. Narrowed it down to these two knives on the left, one on the left is carbon with layered stainless over it which he said would age better in terms of not marking etc and being less brittle, but that the middle on which is pure carbon is a better knife though will need more TLC to keep nice and will develop its own patina. Apparently the sticker means something too?

Is anyone familiar with these knives, or "Kitchen Provisions" in London? I was in the Stoke Newington branch and the guy (Tom, I believe the owner) seemed extremely knowledgeable and helpful, and the few reviews I can find seem to indicate that they're well regarded.

Bp0bGy1.jpg

£170 for this type of knife SEEMS like the going rate, and he'd include a free sharpening in the future as well as teaching me how to use it and care for it etc..happy to pay a little more to get it from a shop like this than the internet so as long as it's not an order of magnitude out! He goes over to Japan a few times a year and imports them directly.

Any thoughts?
gTU7uQ4h.jpg

gTU7uQ4

Soldato
Looks wonderfull, great support as well, only real way to tell is to use it anger so go for it.

Do you think the full carbon is the one to go for Vs the stainless with a carbon core ?

I'll be the only one using it and will look after it meticulously so I'm leaning towards the carbon.

Also can anyone recognise the brand?

Cheers !

Back
Top Bottom