Knife Thread

Soldato
Those 2 are quite different, from the steel to the handle.

Do you prefer a hidden tang - traditional Japanese, or Full tang - Western style?

The £130 would require more care and more traditional in more aspects from the steel to the finish to the handle. The £45 is a western take on a Japanese knife.

Hidden tang.

You know I really (really) like the look of this one: https://cuttingedgeknives.co.uk/collections/all-knives/products/muneishi-aogami-nakiri-165mm

And its a tad cheaper, seems to be a higher maintenence but I am not concerned about that. Reckon that would be a good knife?

I have a 1000/6000 wetstone and I am realistively confident with it, I am getting another set so I will have a fuill range of 400/1000/3000/6000/8000 and a leather strop. I do a lot of cooking and whilst I like my procook one you can tell its a £12 knife. You see, I am basically trying to convince myself here, not you hahaha!

Soldato
Turned up already

IMG-20220705-083616.jpg

Soldato
Those are nice. Is it something he could do on something like etsy to make himself some money ? Covers tend to be horrible plastic - so a market for something premium like those may be out there. I guess the hard part is the sizing as knives are all different.
Not a bad idea.
I suppose you could make them semi universal so you'd only have to make, I don't know, 5 to 8 different size templates to accommodate most knife sizes.
But then you wouldn't get that bespoke fit unless you can access the knife dimensions or the customers measure the knife themselves and you just make them to spec for an extra charge.

Soldato
Soldato
I'm not sure they are legit - I can't find them when going to the procook website independently from that link, and they look like cheap knock-offs of thier Nihon range.

I might be mistaken, but it's a bit sus, mean what kinda kitchen knife has loads of holes in it? lol!

Swiss cheese knife.

Soldato
It’s on Hot UK deals like so I doubt they would be pushing counterfeit stuff?

I've been watching the procook website for knife bargains, for quite some time and they don't look like anything i've ever seen them sell. And as I said, if you go to the procook website independently rather than following that link, they are just not there.

Soldato
Swiss cheese knife.

A set of 4 'japanese' 30cm long cheese knives, hahah!

Even when on offer the procook nihon knives are a tenner each, there no way your gonna get 4 for £20. And even then they are labled as German steel, but in a japaese style. These dont seem to list what kind of steel they are made from, which again, is highly sus.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm not sure they are legit - I can't find them when going to the procook website independently from that link, and they look like cheap knock-offs of thier Nihon range.

I might be mistaken, but it's a bit sus, mean what kinda kitchen knife has loads of holes in it? lol!

Just search for "Japanese" on the ProCook website. They'll be **** because they're Pro Cook and cheap, even their highest end stuff is only OK.

Soldato
Just search for "Japanese" on the ProCook website. They'll be **** because they're Pro Cook and cheap, even their highest end stuff is only OK.

I stand corrected..you are right. My apologies. They don't seem to be listed just browing the site though, hence my suspicion.

Anyway, with the best will in the world a £5 knife is gonna be pound shop junk anyway, they dont even list what steel it's made from.

Associate
How many ProCook knives do you own?

I've bought two, one was an x30 for me and the other an x50 for my brother. Neither were great.

I also own a couple handmade Japanese knives, one is a VG10 Santoku that I've had for about 15 years and the other an Aogami Blue gyuto, as well as some other Victorinox, Henckles etc. I often use Mercers and Globals in my job, as a chef.

Globals are pretty naff too, for the price.

I'd suggest getting Tojiros for similar money and much better kit.

Associate
Not great... for what reasons?

Very soft, lowish quality steel. Fit and finish was fine but they don't hold an edge for long. 54-56 rockwell is great for a cleaver, but for a general purpose knife it's not ideal.

A Victorinox fibrox would be similar or better than the x50 range but half the price. Uglier for sure, but more usable.

Soldato
Very soft, lowish quality steel. Fit and finish was fine but they don't hold an edge for long. 54-56 rockwell is great for a cleaver, but for a general purpose knife it's not ideal.

A Victorinox fibrox would be similar or better than the x50 range but half the price. Uglier for sure, but more usable.
Softness aside, what are the characteristics that showed it to be a lowish quality steel?

Back
Top Bottom