Landis & gyr 5246C Economy7 meter manuals ?

I used to test the firmware and write the config files for these meters :p Was quite a while ago though. What you see in the display cycle is set by the config file. To change that, you'll need an app called meter utility and a flag probe. Also the config file sets whether the meter clock adjusts to dst. Regarding the led, it will pulse while the meter is registering energy, but will come on solid after a while of non registration.
Hi Ivan
I know this is an old thread but I can't see a way to message you direct. I have the same meter and the clock is over 3 hours out meaning the economy 7 is well off. If the clock is that far out what are the chances the configuration has been lost and the meter is reading wrong? I am not getting anywhere with Scottish Power and I am currently paying them over £550 a month just for electric!
Hopefully you see this message

Hi Ivan
I know this is an old thread but I can't see a way to message you direct. I have the same meter and the clock is over 3 hours out meaning the economy 7 is well off. If the clock is that far out what are the chances the configuration has been lost and the meter is reading wrong? I am not getting anywhere with Scottish Power and I am currently paying them over £550 a month just for electric!
Hi seby
The meter configuration and calibration are two separate things. The clocks on these meters had a habit of drifting over the years though unfortunately. Again you need the meter utility software to correct the RTC (real time clock).

Hi Ivan

I have this meter as well, and our clock is about 15-20 minutes off what should be the the off-peak hours [in our case Economy 10] but just because the time is out, it doesn't actually affect the 'off peak' charges it's just that the loads on our off peak circuits [heating and hot water] come on 15-20 minutes later [but they also go off 15-20 minutes later] so there is still the same amount of 'off peak' time.

On our 5246C, it's very easy to know when the 'off-peak' clicks in [or out] as the meter under the stairs gives a loud audible click, which we can hear almost anywhere in the house!

The only problem, I'm currently having is that my electric company keeps wanting to change me to a smart meter [which I don't need or want] as I can see my electric usage through my solar+battery system which shows both real time generation/battery charging and load use in the house. The electric company has even sent me a message recently stating my 5246C will stop working when the BBC turns off the RTC signal but I'm pretty sure the 5246C doesn't rely on the RTC signal, it controls everything internally.

So, if you are concerned that your meter may be incorrect, you can always get your electric company to install a smart meter, as they are doing this for free as all the electric companies are well behind their UK Government set targets for smart meter installation.

I have this meter as well, and our clock is about 15-20 minutes off what should be the the off-peak hours [in our case Economy 10] but just because the time is out, it doesn't actually affect the 'off peak' charges it's just that the loads on our off peak circuits [heating and hot water] come on 15-20 minutes later [but they also go off 15-20 minutes later] so there is still the same amount of 'off peak' time.

On our 5246C, it's very easy to know when the 'off-peak' clicks in [or out] as the meter under the stairs gives a loud audible click, which we can hear almost anywhere in the house!

The only problem, I'm currently having is that my electric company keeps wanting to change me to a smart meter [which I don't need or want] as I can see my electric usage through my solar+battery system which shows both real time generation/battery charging and load use in the house. The electric company has even sent me a message recently stating my 5246C will stop working when the BBC turns off the RTC signal but I'm pretty sure the 5246C doesn't rely on the RTC signal, it controls everything internally.

So, if you are concerned that your meter may be incorrect, you can always get your electric company to install a smart meter, as they are doing this for free as all the electric companies are well behind their UK Government set targets for smart meter installation.
The RTS signal switch off will not effect your meter, as it does not have a Radio Tele Switch (the signal that is being turned off) that makes the load switch happen.

The RTS signal switch off will not effect your meter, as it does not have a Radio Tele Switch (the signal that is being turned off) that makes the load switch happen.
Thanks for confirming that, it's just my electric company sent out an email to me, saying my meter would be affected, looks like 'scare' tactics to try and help them reach their Government smart meter target..

So Energy
Poor workmanship on communications, supplier obviously not doing the homework required. EDF (my employer) have done a huge amount of work to identify customers who do and don't have RTS installed. A simple meter serial number check will show if RTS is installed! So frustrating.

Who is your supplier?
You seem knowledgeable therefore I will pose this - hopefully simple - question. With an E7 program which is peak and off-peak? R1 or R2? I am confused because the former resident of my property - now deceased - left a note in the meter cupboard stating 'R2 is Day' which I have my doubts about. I think my off-peak times - at least during the week - are 11pm to 7am (by finding someone in my supplier's HQ who knows anything is rare!) but do you think there would be a change to the mid-week rule at weekends. I say that because I my statements off-peak consumption is referred to as 'weekends/other'.

You seem knowledgeable therefore I will pose this - hopefully simple - question. With an E7 program which is peak and off-peak? R1 or R2? I am confused because the former resident of my property - now deceased - left a note in the meter cupboard stating 'R2 is Day' which I have my doubts about. I think my off-peak times - at least during the week - are 11pm to 7am (by finding someone in my supplier's HQ who knows anything is rare!) but do you think there would be a change to the mid-week rule at weekends. I say that because I my statements off-peak consumption is referred to as 'weekends/other'.
It depends on the Tariff you are set to, E7 traditionally is 12:30-7:30am 7hrs off peak. But there are variations with split off peak and afternoon boost, you need to investigate your tariffs SSC (probably 151, 244 or 349 as these are most common) it should be on your bill. If you can provide me your SSC I can tell you your off peak load times.

R1 is usually your day rate and R2 is the off peak/night rate.

Last edited:
It depends on the Tariff you are set to, E7 traditionally is 12:30-7:30am 7hrs off peak. But there are variations with split off peak and afternoon boost, you need to investigate your tariffs SSC (probably 151, 244 or 349 as these are most common) it should be on your bill. If you can provide me your SSC I can tell you your off peak load times.

Thanks for your reply. I downloaded a copy of one of my statements to my desktop but couldn't figure out how to attach it to a message on this site.

I replied to you but something happened. I downloaded a statement on to my desktop but I cannot see a way of attaching it to this reply.

Can you tell me what the SSC number is?

Back
Top Bottom