Landis & gyr 5246C Economy7 meter manuals ?

Just one thing I should mention: Currently I am being charged the same tariff over 24 hours. So you may ask why am I bothered about establishing what the off-peak times of the E7 program are? Answer: intellectual curiosity! Given that I am on a standard tariff, will it make sense to my supplier to ask about the SSC of my tariff?

Just one thing I should mention: Currently I am being charged the same tariff over 24 hours. So you may ask why am I bothered about establishing what the off-peak times of the E7 program are? Answer: intellectual curiosity! Given that I am on a standard tariff, will it make sense to my supplier to ask about the SSC of my tariff?
You've joined the forum to task up other members to satisfy your curiosity? Yeah I'd say you're wasting a lot of people's time.

Your SSC will be 0393 this is a flat rate tariff code, means you are paying for one rate of electricity. You are probably on a totaliser tariff. This means you either read the Total import or add R1 and R2 together to creat your reading.
You've joined the forum to task up other members to satisfy your curiosity? Yeah I'd say you're wasting a lot of people's time.
100% this start the conversation with all the information or you are just talking with no true reason!

Last edited:
The RTS signal switch off will not effect your meter, as it does not have a Radio Tele Switch (the signal that is being turned off) that makes the load switch happen.
Hi I've got Economy 7 and a 5246C meter and my electric supplier has today told me "
RTS meter is the 2nd name for the meter that you have type 5246C single phase watt hour meter solid state digital with an internally switched 100A contactor.

Once BBC turns off the signal , it will lose its functionality and also effect the ECO7 rate you are on."
All I want is a definitive it will stop working or it won't - I've even contacted Landis & Gyr but they won't talk to a member of the public.

So is there anyway I can get a definitive answer from someone - I'm a pensioner and I don't know anyone who has a smart meter that actually works so that is
why I am reluctant to go through all that hassle. thank you for your time.

Hi your meter DOES NOT RELY ON THE RTS SIGNAL. It will still function as expected once the RTS has been switched off.

That said your meter will be nearing the end of its certification life I would suggest having the meter changed. I have worked with Smart meters for over 5 years both in the field as an installer and now as a technical operator in the back office fixing issues as the arrive. Smart Meters have come along way since my employer started using them back in 1995, my employer was one of the first to offer smart back way before the government got it's mits into it.

As long as your property is not in the middle of nowhere with no mobile signal there should be no reason a smart meter does not function as smart. If there is no signal then the meter will still function as a traditional meter..

Hi your meter DOES NOT RELY ON THE RTS SIGNAL. It will still function as expected once the RTS has been switched off.

That said your meter will be nearing the end of its certification life I would suggest having the meter changed. I have worked with Smart meters for over 5 years both in the field as an installer and now as a technical operator in the back office fixing issues as the arrive. Smart Meters have come along way since my employer started using them back in 1995, my employer was one of the first to offer smart back way before the government got it's mits into it.

As long as your property is not in the middle of nowhere with no mobile signal there should be no reason a smart meter does not function as smart. If there is no signal then the meter will still function as a traditional meter..
Thank you so much for your advice. It's very reassuring. According to neighbours the mobile signal is useless but if it functions as a traditional meter that's great. Should I tell my supplier that their information is incorrect?
Once again thank you so much.

Hi I'm new to this type of chat/thing i just have a query about my Ampy 5245C Meter which i'm hoping one of you can help me with and as you seem to know the unit i have issues. My provider removed a smart meter that wasn't smart and replaced it with a second hand Ampy 5245C Meter. As a result I no longer had any Off Peak Power. After a lot of arguing they changed the meter for another Second hand Ampy 5245C and i still have no Off Peak Power. Everything was fine until they removed that smart meter but not any more. Should there be a separate timer unit? is this a common fault? Has the engineer done something wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Off you press the test button and release so the screen shows all zeros with stars inside, then press and hold the button till it goes thunk (you will feel and hear it). That will put it into test mode and your off peak will be live for 5 to 10mins. You can then test and see if your heating and hot water come on.

If it does come on then there should be no issue.

Second thing to check, how many wires come out the underside of the meter? Should be 5 if E7 is wired correctly.

Off you press the test button and release so the screen shows all zeros with stars inside, then press and hold the button till it goes thunk (you will feel and hear it). That will put it into test mode and your off peak will be live for 5 to 10mins. You can then test and see if your heating and hot water come on.

If it does come on then there should be no issue.

Second thing to check, how many wires come out the underside of the meter? Should be 5 if E7 is wired correctly.
Hi Thanks for that.
'Test Button' is that the blue button with 'CYCLE DISPLAY' next to it.
When you say, 'if it comes on there should be no issue' do you mean Off Peak power will now come on every night without me having to touch anything.? Only this meter is at a holiday let and we've had to ask every guests since May to manually turn on a hot water timer which is connected to Peak Power.
The wires coming out/in the unit are, from right to left Brown, Blue, Blue, Grey, Brown.
Wish i could send you a pic.
Thanks

Hi Thanks for that.
'Test Button' is that the blue button with 'CYCLE DISPLAY' next to it.
When you say, 'if it comes on there should be no issue' do you mean Off Peak power will now come on every night without me having to touch anything.? Only this meter is at a holiday let and we've had to ask every guests since May to manually turn on a hot water timer which is connected to Peak Power.
The wires coming out/in the unit are, from right to left Brown, Blue, Blue, Grey, Brown.
Wish i could send you a pic.
Thanks
Sounds like it's installed correctly.

Yes the cycle display function button press it the press and hold it

Sounds like it's installed correctly.

Yes the cycle display function button press it the press and hold it
Really appreciate your help, thank you, I'll have to try that tomorrow when we are there servicing it between guests.
The engineers who put the meters in both said there was no way to test the Off Peak Power without coming back after midnight!!
I assume the unit has a clock in it with a battery. Is there any way to see what time the Off Peak should come on and go off.?

You should be able to see the current time when cycling the display.
Yes i can see the current time i was hoping to see the time the off peak power is supposed to be available from and until. I have a wifi switch connected to the off peak supply that connects automatically when it's powered up, then i can turn on or off the immersion heater from home. It saves having it on when the property is empty and saves me having to driving into town just to flick a switch.
Thanks

The switching times are set by a config file that is flashed to the meter by IR programmer, very few people would even know what it was if they tripped over it let alone know how to use one.

The tariff should be set by your service provider, there will most likely be a sticker on the meter saying something like SSC0151 or SSC0244 or potentially SSC0349

they are all Economy 7 tariffs switching times should be as follows

SSC0151 0030-0730
SSC0244 0000-0700
SSC0349 split E7 tariff 2200-0000 0200-0700

there are a few other split E7 Tariffs but these three are the most common.

Back
Top Bottom