Largish Family Car - SUV?

Soldato
Hi folks,

Tempted to swap the E43 in. I've had a good time with it, and I am happy to keep it - just testing the waters on larger cars. The boot became a limiting factor on a large road trip even with 1 kid; so with two I could do with "stacking ability" [i.e. hatchback shape]. Just browsing AT and can see some quite fun ideas...

E.g.
Maserati Levante

Range Rover Mid-Fat (2.0 PHEV)

Range Rover Velar

Stelvio :cool:

X3M (not sure it is big enough?)

F-Pace SVR (front runner so far?)

GLE

XC90

Edit: X5 45e

Any thoughts? I don't really want to pay more than 15k over what I can get for the E43 which is approx. 25k according to Motorway. Insurance on the E43 is creeping up for some reason, too.

Reliability is my number 1 - although I mainly/almost exclusively do motorway miles. I use the Pug e2008 for around town.

Last edited:
Is there really much space in these? They are usually shorter than the equivalent estate car.
That's kind of a perk though, the E43 is like a yacht on my tiny drive.

Whys the x3m on that list? Smaller than what you have now.
Fun factor + couldn't afford X5m and the only ones in my price range were 45e's and 50ds. I do like the look of them though.

Edit: Insurance on the XC90 is pretty low. This may be a winner as I hear they are pretty reliable too?

Edit2: I also always liked the Lexus Rx but think the CVT may be a deal breaker. Is it as bad as I think it may be?

Last edited:
Edit2: I also always liked the Lexus Rx but think the CVT may be a deal breaker. Is it as bad as I think it may be?

I wouldn't rush at CVT personally (Even Lexus) - if you've got an engine with a decent amount of power it isn't too bad to live with but then you have the other downside of CVT in that it can wear quicker and result in an expensive bill. Also personally I've not driven or been a passenger in a car with CVT where I can't hear the whine at least at some points like going up a hill etc., though it is fairly easy to drown out with music and doesn't bother me too much but other people's tolerances will vary.

Last edited:
Are Volvos still reliable these days, cost cutting from new owners? Are any of the cars in OP actually reliable? Alfa, Range, Jag, Maserati, surely a case of when not if they need attention?

Last edited:
I wouldn't rush at CVT personally (Even Lexus) - if you've got an engine with a decent amount of power it isn't too bad to live with but then you have the other downside of CVT in that it can wear quicker and result in an expensive bill.

Aren't Lexus known to run for 250k+ miles if looked after?

Last edited:
I mean, they all have big brutes of engines there. But I would be most tempted by the Volvo despite probably being the least exciting on that list. I do also like that Range Rover though.

I mean, they all have big brutes of engines there. But I would be most tempted by the Volvo despite probably being the least exciting on that list. I do also like that Range Rover though.
Yeah it's annoying but that's the way* I'm leaning too. Cheapest insurance, too...

Panamera? Too expensive? Macan? (Audi in a frock?)
Macan in budget but too small. Pana too long.

Last edited:
Ah fair. Pana doesn't fit the bill at all. As long as they aren't longer than the e43 I'm happy.

Going to try and get a seat in an XC90 I think. Hoping it's gash as I'd rather the SVR, but if it's nicer and substantially cheaper to run, it could be a winner.

Although I was thinking X5 is a bit easier to find. Most XC90s seem to be across the border in the frosty norffff.

Personally I've been very unimpressed with the boot space in SUV's unless going for the huge ones like the XC90. The boots on then tend to be tiny and don't even stack that well

Estate cars seem to have better load carrying abilities.

In terms of reliability the top 4 & the svr of your choices in the first post should probably be disregarded

XC90 is a good shout, nearly bought one had it not been for a terrible dealership experience. The T8 has a tendency to suddenly fail depending on the year of manufacture so make sure it’s got a decent warranty if you go for one. D5 pretty solid, though it’s a big car to push around for any of the 2.0 motors in my opinion.

We’ve got a full size Discovery 5 HSE (SDV6) and love it. Marmite looks of course, but to live with I think it’s the best of the JLR bunch short of a Defender which is just LOL money. Biased as we do actually use the off road capabilities on a farm occasionally. Approved used and then extended warranty a must have course but we haven’t had any major issues with ours, touch wood.

SVR is a hoon but to live with on a day-to-day is going to bite with fuel costs. Wouldn’t be my first choice for a family car.

X5 I would have had but none in our price range at the time.

Tesla Model Y? £30k gets you a very decent one now and it’s peanuts to run if you’re charging at home etc. Big boot and easy to live with.

Back
Top Bottom