Largish Family Car - SUV?

The F-Pace SVR interior looks like a blood-bath.
Yeah they are proper gash. My boss has a brand new Sport SVR with the white seats. Aweful styling.

Tesla Model Y? £30k gets you a very decent one now and it’s peanuts to run if you’re charging at home etc. Big boot and easy to live with.
Tempted but it feels a bit sacrilege. Disco5 is interesting - I'd only ever buy a JLR new though I think.

Since when did Mazda's have BMW's gear too? Thought it looked familiar. It is even called "Mi-Drive" lol.

Edit: this is the current favourite I think. Slightly out of budget........

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'd want a massive 4x4 with a 2 litre 4 cylinder engine regardless of how much electric assistance there is. This is one you definitely need a proper test drive of to decide for yourself as I just can't see how the power delivery of that will fit the luxury style of the car.

Since when did Mazda's have BMW's gear too? Thought it looked familiar. It is even called "Mi-Drive" lol.

Edit: this is the current favourite I think. Slightly out of budget........
Buy a V90 and use the savings to put solar on your house. Estates are better anyway :p

I'm not sure I'd want a massive 4x4 with a 2 litre 4 cylinder engine regardless of how much electric assistance there is. This is one you definitely need a proper test drive of to decide for yourself as I just can't see how the power delivery of that will fit the luxury style of the car.
Yeah I agree. I convinced myself the F Pace would be a fun thing but it was a wallowy under powered thing, even in the 300hp trim.

What is the go-to six cylinder BMW SUV?

Edit: I see both the 45e and the 40i are the B58. I think that is what I am most interested in now. There is much more stock available vs. the XC90, too. I don't really need the battery component so I am tempted to focus on 40i's. Might take a ride around next week as I am off work.

Would appreciate any instructions on what to look for :D.

Buy a V90 and use the savings to put solar on your house. Estates are better anyway :p
Hah, yeah, my dad would be turning in his grave. He loved a good estate and we had some fun ones over the gears (Focus Estate being god tier; and then he went for a crazy underpowered MG ZT-T for his final car). It was a lovely spacious barge though.

I was tempted by an RS4 but Audi's just seem to really turn me off...

Edit: I think with BMW my budget is landing squarely in COVID-era cars :(

Could push for something like this. Odd options on this one:

Getting too high now:

Last edited:
Why do you insist on a Chelsea tractor? :-/
I've never had one before - and I can see the appeal w.r.t getting in and out easily. I need an estate style-boot, but I don't quite fancy an estate. It may be folly but the lower glass makes them quite an insecure place to leave a bag with a laptop and gear in too. I've had a few colleagues lose their rear windows parked in London in 3 and 5 series estates as it's such a quick grab and run. I'm not saying the X5 is immune but at least height is on it's side.

I think X5 40i is the favourite so far - I will try and get a drive in one. The 45e is more complicated and about £200 more expensive to insure.

cool electric front - ID buzz - renaissance of the MPV, can't get more family / DIY palette in the back at jewsons, friendly
arteon tyoe R estates aren't too long, also exclusive, not a R6 though

.. a tall vehicle like an SUV out front on your house works, though.

cool electric front - ID buzz - renaissance of the MPV, can't get more family / DIY palette in the back at jewsons, friendly
arteon tyoe R estates aren't too long, also exclusive, not a R6 though

.. a tall vehicle like an SUV out front on your house works, though.
Haha I was hoping the Buzz would hit my salsac scheme but it hasn't yet. Master plan was an Alphard.

I'll check out the Arteon, although I am not the biggest fan of VW.

I've never had one before - and I can see the appeal w.r.t getting in and out easily. I need an estate style-boot, but I don't quite fancy an estate. It may be folly but the lower glass makes them quite an insecure place to leave a bag with a laptop and gear in too. I've had a few colleagues lose their rear windows parked in London in 3 and 5 series estates as it's such a quick grab and run. I'm not saying the X5 is immune but at least height is on it's side.

I think X5 40i is the favourite so far - I will try and get a drive in one. The 45e is more complicated and about £200 more expensive to insure.

Well, that does make a little bit more sense than for practical/reliability/space reasons.

What is the go-to six cylinder BMW SUV?

A diesel (Which may itself rule it out for you). The diesel engines suit them really well.

I think X5 40i is the favourite so far

Unless you do very little annual miles I don't think this engine suits the car as well as the 3 litre diesel (And that is despite me having this engine in my own car). In many ways it drives quite similarly to the diesel, but does so whilst consuming significantly more fuel (I think the weight and aerodynamic penalty on the X5 will prevent some of the remarkable efficiency figures you can get out of the smaller cars with this engine) and having less available torque - everything you want to do in the diesel is effortless, but the petrol needs to be worked harder. Even in my car it downshifts on hills my 530d would go up in 8th gear. In a more performance orientated car this isn't a problem - in many cases its actually a benefit - but in something like this I do wonder what advantage the petrol offers over the diesel....

...but then I realise. Everyone hates diesel now, regardless of how good it is. It's quite sad really as they'd got to a point where they were simply excellent and ideally suited for applications just like this one. Loads of power, loads of torque, yet smooth and refined. An X5 40d M Sport is a wonderful car. However, what is the future of diesel? This on its own may be enough to put you off and I can't say I'd blame you.

Last edited:
If you were considering going electric, you've also got the etron in this category. We mainly went for one due to it's size (it's bigger than the F-pace) and it was more like an estate than a 4x4.

Last edited:
Better off with an MPV or estate. SUVs are like a reverse tardis most of the time.

I wouldn't want a large car with a tiny engine either. It's going to be over-worked.

Last edited:
I don't think he's going to rush out and buy a Renault Espace.

Mostly because even Renault have given up on making cars like that for this country now.

Last edited:
Whilst the Quadrifoglio is cool, they are very temperamental cars in regards to their electronics. It's certainly not rare for them to throw check engine light warnings on a whim and whilst it might not lead you to physically breaking down, it does have your heart in your mouth.

Tempted but it feels a bit sacrilege. Disco5 is interesting - I'd only ever buy a JLR new though I think.
Go and check out a Model Y and test drive one. It’s not far off the practicality of our Disco5 and it’s a world cheaper to run. When farming duties stop (if that ever happens) the Disco will probably go and the Y will be our family car. We still use it occasionally but it’s mainly my commute car plus short trips vehicle.

We’ve got a 2017 Disco5, to be fair it’s well abused and has held up incredibly well, despite all the horror stories. The wife would happily keep it forever, or given the choice she’d have a 2020-or-newer one with the Pivi Pro infotainment which is a huge step up.

As long as you’re used approved and pay for the £1k-ish per year extended warranty, you’re good to go.

I own a Volvo and it is awesome for what I bought it for but fun doesn't really enter into the conversation even if it is a rocket ship, its competent etc handling wise but you don't feel any thing, this is both good (if you want a fast wafter) and bad (if you want to B road blaster). If you do look at Volvo, try and push to 18.8 battery, it is the revised drivetrain with superior performance and improved hybrid integration.

From your list Stelvio Quad or Fpace SVR would be my choice. 2.0 Stelvio is OK but engine doesn't like to rev out like the V6.

Last edited:
Was going to suggest looking at a lexus RX as a left field option, they had a face lift in 23 so the 23 and newer ones seem to be out of budget.

The before 23 ones are in budget, but not sure where you sit. The 3.5 V6 hybrid would probably be the one to look for if it was a consideration.

Merc equivalents seem to be a bit out of budget unless looking at COVID era ones

Lexus RX. The cvt drama is from people who read the stories of old Nissans blowing them up. Lexus does cvt boxes well and while they do take some getting used to - aka one gear / the way it drives. It’s a few days and you’re good.

It’ll probably outlast everything on the list too.

Interiors are well built, sound system is good and they’re good value for money.

I’d go and drive one and decide, that’s the best way.

Re Volvos, I recall that the newer ones - s90, v90, xc90 are all a bit average reliability wise. Theres some cost saving going on.

I’d also have a look at Cayenne, you can get a decent spec car for that money.

Maybe an s4 avant the 14-15 plate on with v6 supercharged engine, meant to be reasonably reliable and big inside.

Back
Top Bottom