laser 3d budget £750. gaming build spec advice

Merry Christmas all

I went for the 1000w variant in the end as it worked out the same in cost as the 850w one/gives that extra headroom for future gpu upgrades.
I also received a £10 Amazon gift voucher from Santa this Christmas....yippee

My current specs(future upgrades in bold):

Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Lazer3D LZ7 Mini-ITX Case
SF450 — 450 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GPU

AMD Ryzen 5 Six Core 2600 3.90GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail
Team Group Vulcan Z T-Force 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit
TeamGroup 480GB L5 Lite SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 3D NAND Solid State Drive
MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC (Socket AM4) Mini-ITX Motherboard
32" 2560 x 1440 LCD monitor
Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex Fan - 140mm
Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 Low Profile CPU Cooler - 92mm

So far I've purchased the following for the upgrade:

Lazer3D LZ7 XTD Upgrade Kit (GPU Compatibility: Dual Slot, up to 280mm in length, up to 125mm in height )

Lazer3D LZ7 Case Stand​

Corsair SF1000L Fully Modular Low-Noise SFX Power Supply - ATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 Compliant - Quiet 120mm PWM Fan - 80 PLUS Gold​

I'm waiting a few more weeks (seeing how the new nvidea RTX40 series super gpu's pan out) to buy this gpu as it should fit nicely in the case and should give a big jump in performance:

Zotac GeForce RTX 4070 Twin Edge OC 12GB GDDR6X PCI-Express Graphics Card (Length: 225.5 mm Height: 123.2 mm Width: 2.2 slot (40.1 mm) )​

My 480GB SSD is getting low on space (370gigs used) so will factor in another one to sit along side it. I think that 1tb should be more than enough for my use. Any recommendations?

Many thanks

Last edited:
Have you got a drive in your m.2 slot @Slap ?
No dfour I haven't. I've never used an M.2 drive, but that would make good sense! It would also save on space and another cable to power it right?

I could use it to store films videos and pictures etc freing up loads of space on my main ssd drive where my windows os resides.

Any recommendations on what to go for?

Cheers dfour! :)

Specs on storage on my mobo says:

1 x M.2 ports (M2_1, Key M)
  • Supports PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA 6Gb/s 2280 storage devices (1st, 2nd and 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics and 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Graphics)
  • Supports PCIe 3.0 x2 and SATA 6Gb/s 2280 storage devices (AMD® Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics)

for a few quid more

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £93.95 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

I would also swap drives so the much faster m.2 drive is your boot drive. WD have a free to use disk cloning program for just that.

for a few quid more

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £93.95 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

I would also swap drives so the much faster m.2 drive is your boot drive. WD have a free to use disk cloning program for just that.
Thank you for the info dfour.
A 2TB SSD should be good for the rest of my life :)
I didn't realise I could clone the OS drive and copy it over to the new one. It makes good sense to utilise the extra drive's speed, thx.

It does scare me a bit if it went wrong tbh, but reading up a little on the WD cloning site, they strongly recommend making a back up of the source drive first (that would mean purchasing a external drive of sorts that would take my 400gigs of data on my pc)

A few other points where:
  • Source and target disks must have equal logical sector sizes.
  • Create a backup of the entire original disk before starting the cloning process.
  • Check the original drive for errors and bad sectors using the appropriate Operating System tools before starting the cloning process. The cloning process will fail if the original drive has errors or bad sectors.
A few more questions please:
How would I check the logical sector sizes of both drives?
My windows os is a once only install variety, could this cause any issues?

Cheers

Marc

On a side note I remember many moons ago feeling like the "main man" when I upgraded my Ram from 4 to 8 mb and splashed out well over a grand for a 21" crt monitor (curved screen, but the wrong way) to play my flight sims.... :D

I think they mean the drives muct be of equal or bigger destination size in that you cant clone a 400 gig drive to a 256 gig drive.

I have dont it a few times and never had any problems. It pretty simple.

For £33 you could buy a crucial 500 gig mx500 sata ssd and back up your original OS drive to that using windows and then just put it away for safe keeping.
Cheers dfour, much appreciated

I just gounf a 1T usb ssd disk whilst cleaning out drawers! I bought for my drone with an idea to start making videos etc.
I'll give a go at cloning my pc drive and report back

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom