Laurence Fox

Soldato
I suppose anyone can start a political party. What makes it a populist party though?

It's just a propaganda technique, you call something a "populist party" with the intention of suggesting that it has no legitimate points and is just appealing to mass hysteria. It's this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysphemism

I'm not crediting stockhausen with doing this intentionally, it's just a learned behaviour

Soldato
I suppose anyone can start a political party. What makes it a populist party though?

a dictionary said:
populism
/ˈpɒpjʊlɪz(ə)m/
noun
a political approach that strives to appeal to ordinary people who feel that their concerns are disregarded by established elite groups.

"Over many years it has become clear that our politicians have lost touch with the people they represent and govern. Moreover, our public institutions now work to an agenda beyond their main purpose." — it's literally the dictionary definition of populism.

Populism = anything the left dont like.

It's entirely possible for a party to be both populist and left-wing.

It's just a propaganda technique, you call something a "populist party" with the intention of suggesting that it has no legitimate points and is just appealing to mass hysteria. It's this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysphemism

I'm not crediting stockhausen with doing this intentionally, it's just a learned behaviour

It's hardly propaganda in this instance, it's a perfectly valid description.

Soldato
You could apply that definition of populism to the Labour party just as easily ("For the many, not the few"), but most people wouldn't do that.

It's actually happened enough that the Labour party under Corbyn are a highlighted example of a UK populist party on Wikipedia.

The UK Labour Party under the leadership of Jeremy Corbyn has been called populist,[281][282][283] with the slogan "for the many not the few" having been used.[284][285][286] The United Kingdom Independence Party (UKIP) had been characterised as a right-wing populist party.[287][288][289]

Soldato
You could apply that definition of populism to the Labour party just as easily ("For the many, not the few"), but most people wouldn't do that.

I would say that Momentum absolutely is a populist wing of the Labour party. However, as a whole, Labour is far too 'establishment' to be classed as populist.

You could argue that time was a left-wing party actively sought to be populist.

Sorry, I don't understand.

Soldato
Well the Labour parties founding purpose might be paraphrased as supporting/representing the common people over the elite. But there have been times recently when that has been a questionable proposition.

So your first post should have read "You could argue that, at one time, Labour was a left-wing party that actively sought to be populist"?

In which case, I entirely agree.

Soldato
Surely tyranny of the majority suggests no checks and balances about net social harm and other thresholds. It does not equal populism. Populism can still produce just outcomes without tyranny of the majority. Or can only the elites save us? Sounds like aristocracy.

Also you do love that Women's Own quote and every time you misrepresent it.

Soldato
https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1314935151789563905?s=20

I actually find myself agreeing with Fox's comments. Having a black history month just serves to divide people rather than bringing us together. Doesn't that mean we need an Asian history month, Indian history month, Arabic history month, white history month, etc if this is genuinely about "equality"?

Why not just have a British history month we can all celebrate given that's what we all are rather than dividing everyone based on their skin colour and ethnicity!

To be blunt there's no such thing as "black" history in the same way there's no such thing as "white" history. To suggest your heritage and history is somehow purely related to the shade of your skin is ridiculous.

Countries, people, ethnicities, cultures, etc have histories. Skin colours do not.

#DontDivideUs

Last edited:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1314935151789563905?s=20

I actually find myself agreeing with Fox's comments. Having a black history month just serves to divide people rather than bringing us together. Doesn't that mean we need an Asian history month, Indian history month, Arabic history month, white history month, etc if this is genuinely about "equality"?

Why not just have a British history month we can all celebrate given that's what we all are rather than dividing everyone based on their skin colour and ethnicity!

To be blunt there's no such thing as "black" history in the same way there's no such thing as "white" history. To suggest your heritage and history is somehow purely related to the shade of your skin is ridiculous.

Countries, people, ethnicities, cultures, etc have histories. Skin colours do not.

#DontDivideUs
It is absolutely ridiculous the nonsense flooding our media in these modern times. It has even infested CBEEBIES for crying out loud, not CBBC but cbeebies, the BBC channel for young children!

My 2 and 3 year old were sitting confused whilst the presenter spoke about Harriet Tubman and slavery(!!), another time confused when they discussed her elder sister being bullied because of the colour of her skin (not an issue for young children these days due to the levels of integration). They've been doing it everyday, speaking about their "heroes", in a completely inappropriate place to a completely inappropriate audience all because of... why?! Misplaced arrogance?

I've ranted about this previously, we all know every single race should be treated equally, don't shove it down my throat like I'm an oppressor - and definitely don't use your own insecurities and weak intelligence to corrupt my children.

In terms of Lawrence Fox - arrogant, shady, power-hungry with an already established donor money tree.... could only be good news for the people I'm sure :rolleyes:

However, he does appear to have a brain on him, so wouldn't be worse than our current crop.

Soldato
It's quite weird seeing some of my left leaning friends have a meltdown over what I consider to be a perfectly reasonable polite man trying to have sensible discussions in an environment that is increasingly difficult to do so. It's becoming more and more apparent that the more people try to silence and berate normal opinions, the further to the extremes people will be pushed. But fine carry on and lets see where we end up.

Back
Top Bottom