Legacy G Suite users - what are you going to do?

Soldato
Right, the next issue I've found with Apple iCloud Mail.

My wife has her own domain, I started the process of adding that domain to iCloud Mail and when I put her email address in, it told me that address is already is use by another AppleID. Interesting. Checked her own iCloud settings and it's correct, her domain email had been added as a contact for recovery, FaceTime, Messages, etc. That's fair enough but I figured I could remove it, add her domain, add her email address and then re-link it back.

Removed it, tried to add to her account and I still get the same message. It turns out that if you remove an email address from someone's iCloud account, it can't be added elsewhere within the entire Apple ecosystem for an entire year!

So I tried to put it back. Nope, Apple won't allow that either. It says it's not available and going by the above, it won't be allowed for a year. It's a bit crazy, it's just taking an email address from one account and adding it back to the same account.

This isn't going to be as straightforward as I hoped.

/multiple edits for clarity

you might be able to add it back using the following notation...

[email protected]

substitute 'something' for whatever you want but you must keep the '+'.

Probably better would be to create a new email account on your wife's domain so you can have something that doesn't need the '+' in the user name part of the address. Then migrate all her emails over from her original email address to the new one. Perhaps you can then create an alias address on the new account which relates to the old address.

Last edited:
Commissario
Probably better would be to create a new email account on your wife's domain so you can have something that doesn't need the '+' in the user name part of the address. Then migrate all her emails over from her original email address to the new one. Perhaps you can then create an alias address on the new account which relates to the old address.
I don't think there's any way I can assign her email address back within the Apple ecosystem for a year.

j0s

j0s

Associate
I'm going to attempt to set up Amazon AWS and work mail, and play around with it as i just basically need an email client and not the extra stuff

Soldato
I don't think there's any way I can assign her email address back within the Apple ecosystem for a year.

Can you opt for an apple based address account and then use the DNS for your wife's domain to forward emails to the more generic email address supplied by Apple. Not sure if Apple allow someone to then set up their from address to use their own domain? If not then you'd only have incoming email customised to your own domain.

Or

Buy a new domain and add that to your wife's apple account. Then use the DNS for the old domain to forward all her email to her new domain.

Last edited:
Soldato
Subbing to this thread as I have had my own domain and email for yonks now and a bit lost on what to do here. I have the following;
- Domain via 123-reg and website hosted via Smugmug
- GSuite Gmail ([email protected]) together with a few aliases like [email protected])
- That main Gmail account also checks email from a free [email protected] account, plus [email protected], [email protected] and a couple of other Gmail variations I nabbed
- Google Drive on my domain 100GB (£1.59/month)

I use at least 3-4 of those addresses for different things so really need to keep them active. Long story short, what are my options? If the new Google Workplace lowest/budget offering includes Google Drive, maybe I could pay a little more to make things easy? :confused:

Or are Google providing any options to migrate my GSuite account into my free Gmail account?

I'm rather peeved by all this, I've had that GSuite account since the beginning and have a lot on at the moment so I can't dedicate much bandwidth to finding the right solution :(

Soldato
Subbing to this thread as I have had my own domain and email for yonks now and a bit lost on what to do here. I have the following;
- Domain via 123-reg and website hosted via Smugmug
- GSuite Gmail ([email protected]) together with a few aliases like [email protected])
- That main Gmail account also checks email from a free [email protected] account, plus [email protected], [email protected] and a couple of other Gmail variations I nabbed
- Google Drive on my domain 100GB (£1.59/month)

I use at least 3-4 of those addresses for different things so really need to keep them active. Long story short, what are my options? If the new Google Workplace lowest/budget offering includes Google Drive, maybe I could pay a little more to make things easy? :confused:

Or are Google providing any options to migrate my GSuite account into my free Gmail account?

I'm rather peeved by all this, I've had that GSuite account since the beginning and have a lot on at the moment so I can't dedicate much bandwidth to finding the right solution :(

Although you appear to only be using the equivalent of one paid Google G Suite user account, you'd still be better off switching to Microsoft even without their offer of 60% off for the first year. Link to that is in my earlier post. If you are more driven by the custom domain name email requirement than desktop apps then the entry level tier from MS (Microsoft 365 Business Basic) would do you. It also includes 1TB of storage. The entry level tier from Google is Business Starter at £4.14 per month and only includes 30GB storage.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/mic...65-business-products?&activetab=tab:primaryr2

https://workspace.google.com/intl/en_uk/pricing.html

Commissario
I've discovered that both wife and kids have set up aliases for messages/FaceTime etc using their @theirdomain email addresses so this is making things a little trickier.

It also doesn't help that my very original AppleID was set up with my main feek@mydomain email address. I use that one for App Store stuff and then I have the second one I set up with the @mac email addresses.

So it's a bit of a mess.

What I've just done is set the MX record for my @mydomain back to tsohost and have set up forwarders for my email address and aliases. It means I won't be able to email from that address but it's not a problem for me, I haven't really used them for outgoing email for years.

I will do similar for my wife, I'll put her MX record back to tsohost and set up a forwarder. It means that for a year, all emails she sends will be from her @me account but then when @herdomain becomes available to add back to Apple iCloud Mail, I'll do that. I'm reading things where some people are saying that it's become available after thirty days rather than the year so I'll keep checking.

Same for my daughter.

Soldato
You can probably set up a reply-to address to be the one that you have the forwarder set up on. Then even though the recipient will see the temporary address, when they hit reply it will at least prefill their email message with the better address.

Commissario
You can probably set up a reply-to address to be the one that you have the forwarder set up on.
Nope, not in Apple mail, it's not supported.

However, I'm testing with creating a mailbox at tsohost, leaving the divert on for incoming emails and setting it up to be able to send. I think that's going to work.

Soldato
Am just running through these instructions (Gmail migration) to begin the process of consolidating some of my standard email user accounts.

https://www.cubebackup.com/docs/tutorials/transfer-gsuite-data-to-another-account/

You might want to think about where an email has been used before eliminating it's account so you can log in to such services and change the email used for those accounts whilst you still have access to the email for them in case you find you need to recover a password for a third party service. Later you can set up aliases for these which is fine if you're staying put with Google or for the short term but if you're migrating away from Google the service you choose may not allow for aliases. If the latter is the case then you will have to say goodbye to those addresses.

+ Logging in first as an G Suite Admin user so I can make an additional user an admin as the original admin user is one of the accounts that needs to bite the bullet in my case as I separated out that responsibility so it wasn't my daily use account.

+ Finding the setting for 'Less secure apps'. Google Admin console menu, > Security > 'Access and data control' > 'Less secure apps'. Set this to 'Allow users to manage their access to less secure apps'.

+ Enable IMAP access for all users. Google Admin console menu, > Apps > 'Google Workspace' > Gmail > 'End User Access'. The first option that opens in the table of settings is 'POP and IMAP access', click the pencil icon on the right hand side if IMAP is not already set to 'ON'.

+ Generate an app password if you have 2 factor authentication or SSO enabled, FOR EACH USER YOU WANT TO MIGRATE FROM. This is required later for the data migration service. Each user will need to log in and click their user icon in top right corner > 'Manage your Google Account' > Security > 'App passwords' > confirm their password when challenged > 'Select app' dropdown menu, 'Other (Custom name)' > enter something like 'migration' > hit the 'Generate' button > copy the password for use later / pass it securely to their admin user.

+ Return to your list of users. Think which accounts you could do without, particularly if you have generic ones such as 'noreply', 'webenquiry', 'listbounces' etc, original admin account if you had split that role out into a separate account even though it may still have related to you, hence the first thing I did above was to make my main user that I want to keep for now, also an admin. Google Admin console menu, > Directory > Users. When you've chosen which accounts need to be migrated click on each account in the Directory > Users list and make a note of the earliest account creation date. The creation date will be under their name towards the top left of the screen for each user once you click on each user.

+ At this stage you probably want to use a separate browser so you can log in as the first user who's account you want to migrate mail from or get them to. Log in to Gmail for this first user you've chosen to migrate mail from. Click the gear icon toward the top right of the Gmail screen > click 'See all settings' button > 'Forwarding and POP/IMAP' > 'Folder size limits', select 'Do not limit...'. Ensure 'Enable IMAP' is selected e.g. enabled and click 'Save Changes'. Now move to the 'Labels' tab of settings. Make sure each label that you want to migrate mail for is ticked next to each 'Show in IMAP' setting.

+ Back to the browser that you are logged in to G Suite as an admin user. Google Admin console menu, > Account > 'Data migration' > 'SET DATA MIGRATION UP'. Since the Google admin console home screen describes the service as 'Welcome to the Google Workspace Admin Console', we will take that cue of 'Google Workspace' as the service we want to migrate from. So, under 'Select a Migration Source*' dropdown, select 'Google Workspace' and click the START button. On the next screen under 'Migration Start Date' be sure to use the drop down to select the 'Custom Date' option, otherwise it will likely be defaulted to only 'Past 1 year'. Using the account creation date that you noted two bullet points up, you can now enter a meaningful start date. I personally set it to the 1st Jan and the earliest account creation year from the accounts you want to migrate from. Next, select the 'Migration Options', as you so wish, 'Migrate deleted mail', 'Migrate junk mail' & 'Exclude the following folders from the migration (comma separated list). Now click the 'ADD USERS' button.

+ Now add the first user, the one that you logged into as two bullet points up, or got the user to log into to confirm their IMAP settings were configured correctly. On the 'Data Migration' admin console screen, click 'Add user' > enter the 'Source Email' address for this first chosen email account to migrate from. For password, enter the 'app password' generated earlier. In the 'Google Workspace Email' field, start typing the email address of the destination address that you want as the target address to receive the migrated emails. Finally, click the START button to set the migration service to begin running. The data migration screen will update automatically to update the Status column.

Repeat this last step after each user has confirmed their IMAP settings are configured as detailed in the earlier step. Once you / they have confirmed the IMAP settings and created an app password to bypass 2 factor authentication then you can then add each user to the data migration screen using the above step.

You can leave each entry in the data migration table after the migration has completed if further email may be received prior to proceeding to actually deleting those user accounts.

Last edited:
Associate

Yes. Moved to the cheapest cost for the three accounts I’m using on my domain. Too tied in to it to ditch it, and couldn’t really move to O365 either. 82 year old dad on one of them, no way I can change him over now!

Soldato
Think I will have to pay too :( I only have one user account. It's not clear there is a better / cheaper option elsewhere, and TBH I set the G Suite account up 10 or 15 years ago, don't really remember how it all works "under the hood" and can't be bothered to unpick it all and re-establish it with another provider.

Yet another subscription!

Caporegime
OP
Ugh still don't know what I'm going to do as I'm very much tied into Google services with my account. I think my Dad should be okay with Zoho, he only uses the account for email.

What I find more perplexing is they could just add a custom domain feature to Google One. You can already share Google One with family members so it's perfect really.

Commissario
What I find more perplexing is they could just add a custom domain feature to Google One. You can already share Google One with family members so it's perfect really.
Yeah. that's what's really frustrating. Mine have all been running since 2008 when it was called Google Apps, then it migrated to G Suite and now Workspace. It's just a method of getting money out of people, the only thing mine were ever used for was email, nothing else on the accounts was enabled at all. In fact, I had to go in enable the docs side of it in order to fill out the form they sent a link to earlier this year. No file storage, purely a few Gb of email.

Although I'm struggling a little bit with getting the domains into iCloud Mail, that's not googles fault and my temporary workaround will do the job just fine. However, what's frustrating is now looking at how gmail actually works. Looking at my wife's emails using the web client, she only has a few hundred in both her inbox and sent items but when looking at the 'all mail' thing, there are tens of thousands of emails. Some have the deleted label, some have the archive label but there are also thousands with no labels on them at all. Whether that's down to how badly it interfaces with Apple mail or whether gmail is just awkward like that, I have no idea. As far as she's concerned, anything that doesn't have a label is junk, so I'm not bothering to move them.

What's also giving me the hump a little bit is the amount of emails that are showing in the 'important' folder that's been automatically created in gmail. She says she's never seen it, she's never put anything in it but it appears to have around 15,000 emails in there which aren't in her inbox.

I've moved her inbox and her sent items already from gmail into Apple Mail and now I'm moving this 'important' folder. I started it a few hours ago via her phone and although the phone shows everything has moved, it's taking a lot longer to be reflected on the iCloud mail web client. If it's not finished by the time she goes out tomorrow, I'm not sure whether she should actually take her phone with her or not because I don't know if it'll continue transferring when it's off the WiFi. Hopefully it will have finished.

Back
Top Bottom