Lenovo Legion 5 Pro

Soldato
I’m still waiting for a Legion 7. I keep getting updates from Lenovo but it’s not been in stock yet or not that I have seen.

I had the 5 pro for review for a few days and it was a very nice machine a tad noisy under load but they all are really. Been some great prices….

Soldato
Cheers mate. Thought I'd be ok with notification email. Will keep checking mornings.

How do you get 20% student discount? I've got student email, all setup through student beans and lenovo education, get to checkout and no discount on the pro?

Not sure, I only used the 10% newsletter one.

Associate
UNIDAYS discount not working anymore. Says expired, despite unidays still showing it valid until end of May.

I'm going to hang on for a top spec pro - 5800h + 3070... Its disappointing to see them available but not in the top spec :(

If anyone see's any availability I would be much appreciated if you post it on here. Thanks to the guys who noticed it was "back in stock today"

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I feel like 1080p is probably the better option at 15" paired with a mobile GPU. You'll be able to enjoy higher frames and increase graphical settings.

Associate
Lenovo website now has the legion 5 pro configurator live but only lets you have the 3060. OC UK selling the 3070 but with the 1080 screen not the 2560x1600
I feel like 1080p is probably the better option at 15" paired with a mobile GPU. You'll be able to enjoy higher frames and increase graphical settings.
I see your point dude, but NVIDIA specifically said the RTX cards were meant to push the resolutions higher than 1080 gaming. They are capable, least the 3070 is.

Associate
Damn! Also had the notification set up but missed it until I checked back here... Anyone have any thoughts on taking the 5600/3060 that's available versus waiting for the 5800/3070? How much of a performance hit is it likely to be?

Man of Honour
How much of a performance hit is it likely to be?
Heavily depends on the cooling setup. If you see Hardware Unboxed mobile 30xx video, the 3060 isn't much slower than the 3070... probably due to thermal constraints (though it's a different laptop they're benching - so results may vary).

Edit: oh wait hang on, just looked at the video again...it was the low wattage mobile 3060/3070 that were broadly similar...the full flesh mobile 3060/3070 still had some margin between them.

Last edited:

ljt

ljt

Soldato

That's another reason why I went for the none pro model with 1080p screen in the end.

Now I have it in the flesh so to speak, it's more than enough on a 15.6" screen. Windows has to scale to 125% even with just 1080p.

As its only really used for gaming on the go and not for any productivity purposes the extra resolution of the Pro screen would be wasted on me and mean the GPU having to work harder to get the desired frames in games unnecessarily.

Soldato
Just got a Legion 5 to add to the collection... I think I'm officially a laptop addict... (I bought the GE66 as it was the only high-power 3070 in stock at the time, but I wanted the Legion).

Much prefer it to the MSI GE66 - same performance, better thermals, less noisy, less bloatware, fewer cheesy LEDs.

Love it!

The GE66 does seem to peak at 130W on the GPU, whereas I've not seen this one go above 115W, despite it being rated at 130W.

EDIT - nVidia driver update sorted the power limit, so now I see 130W when the total power isn't being limited by heavy CPU use. i.e. just like the GE66.

Last edited:

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Just got a Legion Pro to add to the collection... I think I'm officially a laptop addict... (I bought the GE66 as it was the only high-power 3070 in stock at the time, but I wanted the Legion).

Much prefer it to the MSI GE66 - same performance, better thermals, less noisy, less bloatware, fewer cheesy LEDs.

Love it!

The GE66 does seem to peak at 130W on the GPU, whereas I've not seen this one go above 115W, despite it being rated at 130W.

Have you put it into performance mode? (fn+q until the power light is red) otherwise in balanced (white light) it won't use the full wattage of the GPU.

Soldato
Ah right you said Pro originally :p

Quickest way to check is try it in the gsync pendulum demo with a performance overlay on showing the wattage, with me it shows 130w in that

Actually, the problem was drivers. I'd not updated to the latest drivers and was just using the ones that came installed, since they were quite new.

Installed latest nVidia drivers and now I'm seeing 130W in everything (except when CPU usage very high, which I'm aware of).

Associate
Would appreciate some advice on best screen option.

Looking at the Legion 5 pro 16" or the std Legion 5 17.3" (if/when available).

Prefer the size of the 17.3" but the higher resolution, contrast and brightness of the Pro 16" is very tempting. In gaming the 16" would clearly be the winner but in std use the native resolution would require scaling up to 150% or 200% and/or by dropping the resolution to 1920 x 1080 so in any of those configurations would the Pro's 16" screen be any better than the 5's std 17.3" screen?

What have those of you you who have the Pro's found or can advise?

Caporegime
Would appreciate some advice on best screen option.

Looking at the Legion 5 pro 16" or the std Legion 5 17.3" (if/when available).

Prefer the size of the 17.3" but the higher resolution, contrast and brightness of the Pro 16" is very tempting. In gaming the 16" would clearly be the winner but in std use the native resolution would require scaling up to 150% or 200% and/or by dropping the resolution to 1920 x 1080 so in any of those configurations would the Pro's 16" screen be any better than the 5's std 17.3" screen?

What have those of you you who have the Pro's found or can advise?

I've got the Pro and use 100% scaling. Love the extra res.

Associate
I have to use 125% on my existing 17.3" so don't I will be able to get away with 100% on the 16" with native resolution? You clearly have better eyesight than myself.

Back
Top Bottom