Lenovo Legion 5 Pro

Associate
Has anyone picked up the Legion 5 17" variant? (with the AMD 5800H + 3070) just wondering what your thoughts are on the 1080p 17" screen and the cooling of the slightly bigger chassis?

Associate
Doesn't work at the rated speeds on the Legion 5 Pro as it doesn't support XMP. Drops to something like 2666mhz CL22.

Oh damn, that's kind of annoying but glad I asked beforehand. Assume that's why most previous posts mention the Kingston Fury Impact instead. Thanks for the reply.

Soldato
I've been burrowing on Kingston's web shop which says the dual-rank CL20 is no longer available. :(
However, CL17 is available but looks like it ships from the US so there's a slight delay in delivery.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
is dual rank really needed? From the JT Youtube video, he swapped from the default single rank Rx16 to some Crucial Single rank 1-Rx8 and that made quite a considerable jump in performance due to the tighter sub-timing alone.

I've just bought some kingston impact 2 x 8gb 3200Mhz Rx8 Single rank which should mirror what JT did with his crucial ram he used. I'll do some benches before and after and see what's what.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Has anyone picked up the Legion 5 17" variant? (with the AMD 5800H + 3070) just wondering what your thoughts are on the 1080p 17" screen and the cooling of the slightly bigger chassis?

Sorry I've taken so long to reply, but I wasn't too good last week.

Anyway I've had a play about and the screen seems good to me. I can only compare it to the 15" 1080p 165Hz Legion 5 screen I used briefly and as far as colours and response go - I couldn't tell any difference. The drop from 165Hz to 144hz wasn't noticeable to me, but the bigger screen is definitely noticeable and more useful and doesn't need windows scaling (as the 15" was using 125%) which is a bonus. You do lose G-sync with hybrid mode off, but you do still have freesync with hybrid mode on (i believe this is on the AMD CPU/iGPU combo only though), so that's the only loss for me personally.

Cooling seemed about the same, maybe 1 or 2 degrees cooler, same noise profile as the 15" from what I can remember. The cooling system is identical bar a slightly longer heatpipes going to the one fan/hsf. I have mine on a cooling pad anyway so temps aren't too bad. I think the CPU topped out at 85c under multi-core cinebench test. If I'm just browsing, doing light tasks etc then I pop it into quiet mode and the temps never go above about 55c and fans barely ever come on at all. Clock speeds seem to top out at 4.45Ghz Single core and around 4Ghz multi core full load (CB r23)

I'm interested to hear your results

Unfortunately I didn't get to do much benchmarking prior to the new ram being installed, but I can say the timings for the Hyper Impact single rank ram (1xR8) are just as good as the dual rank. The only real benchmark I ran with the old ram was 3dmark Timespy. I ran this again after and my CPU score went up by 10% and my GPU score increased a little too.

I then checked out benchmark scores for the CPU on reviews using the old default ram and by the looks of it, pretty much all CPU scores with the new Hyper Impact single rank ram have improved by at least 10%, so outside of a few specific benchmarks it seems even the single rank Hyper ram is just as good as the dual rank, which is great news considering how difficult it is to find 2 x 8gb DR modules now.

Associate
Lenovo cares about you and your Legions. Really. Take a look at the Windows Task Scheduler and you will find these three tasks:
DailyTelemetryTransmission
HeartbeatAddinDailyScheduleTask
LenovoSystemUpdateAddin_WeeklyTask

I thought since General Data Protection Regulation they have to ask for phoning home.

Associate
I'm looking to pick one of these up after my current laptop just died. is there a general consensus on which version is better, AMD/Intel? really don't understand why the 17" versions are 1080p only. really need 2k ideally.

I have been looking at the intel version for £1200 11th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-11400H / 3060

Mainly for 3d/ unreal engine development.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
The Pro version has 1600p 16" screen if that's any use?

I find 1080p at 17" fine for me. It also means games are easier to run too and allow the GPU more headroom in the future. It's why I avoided a higher res screen.

I think intel will give slightly higher fps in games over AMD but at the cost of significant shorter battery life if used when not plugged in.

You also lose freesync with hybrid mode on as the Intel igpu doesn't have the option in control panel like AMD igpu does.

Back
Top Bottom