Lets see some of your Fiddy shots (50mm)

Kei

Kei

Soldato
Some nice examples there...especially the person with the camera and the candle. The 'bokeh' is definitely what makes those stand out. I never liked the 5 blade diaphragm of the canon, it’s been like that since the original FD 50mm f1.8. I must say though that in this instance I can see that the pentagonal shape works nicely here I don’t think my Nikon with 7 blades would have looked quite as pleasant. :)

Just received my nice new nikon 50mm f1.8 AI-S, to superceed my olympus OM 50mm f1.8. The nikon is a tad larger with a 52mm thread rather than the 49mm of the oly, but i dont mind.

heres one taken this evening with the nikon.

IMG_1196-.jpg

Downtown Newport. 1/60s @ f1.8 ISO 1600 hand-held.

Last edited:
Caporegime
With the 1.8 version you get a lot of sharpness, when stopped down a little anyway, and of course the DoF. But the Brokeh is not that pleasant really. I've been comparing Canon and Nikon 50mm 1.4 and 1.8, the 1.4s do seem much much better in out of focu areas, and much sharper up to F/4or so. After that its mixed, if anything the 1.8 are sharper f/4-f/11 .

Think I will upgrade my Nikon 1.8 to the 1.4. to enjoy the wonderful 1.4-f/4 range.

Soldato
OP
Cheers Steve! What's the thing in your shot?

I agree with Kai - the DOF/bokeh on these lenses is great. I'm amazed how sharp they are too.

I didn't think my kit lens was particularly soft, but everything looks so much more crisp with the 50mm.

It's from the Tate Modern on Southbank in London. They're on the pillars in the turbine hall - very much like little bugs. I thought it was an interesting perspective.

Back
Top Bottom