Levi jeans on Amazon - what's the catch?

I can tell you what the catch is :S

The Levis on Amazon are authentic however... there is a vast quality difference depending on where they are made - I can't remember the exact countries but its something like the ones made in China, Bangladesh or Colombia are lower quality than those made in Portugal, Turkey, United States, Japan or Italy if you buy from say Debenams or HoF, etc. they will almost always be from one of the good factories whereas on Amazon its a complete lottery.

This, plus Feek's post.

The same thing happens with a lot of the stuff for sale in TKMaxx and the like. Branded, but inferior products aimed at a lower segment.

I still remember when Tescos were selling Levis for a massive discount. Levi quickly stepped in to put an end to that.

Selling premium items at a knockdown price damages the image.

Last edited:
Just high street mark-up surely?

Don't know about branded jeans, but I buy my Merrell shoes from Amazon, as they're around £30 cheaper than the shops.

Surprised Amazon have Merrell so cheap (relatively speaking) though quite a few of them on there are 50% off the RRP in a "mid season" sale. Merrell usually try to keep the price up a bit for image reasons.

Bulk buying.

nope

I still remember when Tescos were selling Levis for a massive discount. Levi quickly stepped in to put an end to that.

I'm not sure they bought them directly from Levi in the first place

though this Amazon situation might well be similar to the Tesco one - in that the company has simply found a third party through which to get the jeans(AFAIK Tesco initially got them via some third party in the US) - if it does upset Levi then they might well try to cut off that source somehow, with Tesco they managed to get a court ruiling to stop them from importing from the US

I doubt very much amazon have simply gone through the official distribution channels for the UK at any rate else they'd not likely be offering such a big discount

Last edited:
I loved being stationed in Germany with the RAF as we were allowed to shop in the US Air Force PX, Levi 501's at the time, (1990's), were about $30 Tax Free so £15 :)

Nike trainers were also unbelievably cheap compared to UK or even NAAFI prices.

But using child exploitation and slave labour in third World countries isn't? Gotta love Levis priorities :D

I bought two pairs for £99 in Bicester Village as I just fancied some Levis after not owning any for years. That was a 2 for 1 deal. I was surprised they were so expensive given I don't really consider them fashionable anymore. I've not seen an ad for them in years, but then I don't really stay up to date with these things.

Whenever I'm in the US I generally try to pick up DKNY jeans. I find the fit on them most comfortable for me, and they are pretty cheap. Usually manage them at around £20 a pair or something (usually on a 3 for 2 or something similar).

Not had Levi's in years. Although, again, last pair I had were from the states.

Funny this thread came up as on Monday I went jeans shopping.

Saw a pair I liked in both House of Frazer and John Lewis (Diesel dark indigo). Both shops had them on sale for £90.

Quick search online and m&mdirect had the same pair for £50. That's quite a saving.

Now I am expecting a £50 pair of jeans (if that), and not a £90. I hate RRP prices for clothes. It's totally meaningless.

Pretty sure Amazon sell factory rejects heavily discounted. Looking at a pair of jeans and the price ranges from 11 pounds to 80 pounds depending on the size, all the exact same model/colour. Often if you read reviews people say there was defects or the size was completely off. You see the same thing with shoes and other clothes from Amazon.

Pretty sure Amazon sell factory rejects heavily discounted. Looking at a pair of jeans and the price ranges from 11 pounds to 80 pounds depending on the size, all the exact same model/colour. Often if you read reviews people say there was defects or the size was completely off. You see the same thing with shoes and other clothes from Amazon.
what an excellent thread necro with your first post.....i was getting a weird deja vu-esque feeling reading the first few posts before i checked the posting date. well done.

what an excellent thread necro with your first post.....i was getting a weird deja vu-esque feeling reading the first few posts before i checked the posting date. well done.

Hey, don't blame me, blame google. I just googled why are jeans so cheap on Amazon and this thread came up near the top. Perhaps google should know that its a sin to revive old threads and make them invisible. :rolleyes:

Not 1st post btw, have a few thousand, don't know where they're gone.

You get all sorts on Amazon depending where the item has been sourced TBH - for instance "Fulfilled by Amazon" can be a bit of a wildcard other than you have additional protection as a buyer.

The drop in quality with Levi though I'm pretty sure isn't Amazon selling factor rejects - you see a big variation depending on where they were produced and all the producers are "official".

You get all sorts on Amazon depending where the item has been sourced TBH - for instance "Fulfilled by Amazon" can be a bit of a wildcard other than you have additional protection as a buyer.

The drop in quality with Levi though I'm pretty sure isn't Amazon selling factor rejects - you see a big variation depending on where they were produced and all the producers are "official".

I never buy fulfilled by Amazon, only directly from them and I have seen some dodgy stuff with shoes especially. Got a discounted pair of Adidas shoes and they were most certainly factory rejects, all serial numbers on the box/shoes had been removed and shoes had lots of minor flaws. Not every clothes/shoes item can pass QC for full price in a retail store.

I can't help myself from finding bargains on Amazon but I've learnt to just accept that there's going to be flaws and stopped examining them unless there's a giant hole in the rear of a pants or something like that.

Am I the only one who has no clue what jeans people are wearing? I couldn't tell you if people were wearing Levi's or some much cheaper supermarket own brand jeans.

Jeans are jeans, surely?

Back
Top Bottom