Levi jeans on Amazon - what's the catch?

Am I the only one who has no clue what jeans people are wearing? I couldn't tell you if people were wearing Levi's or some much cheaper supermarket own brand jeans.

Jeans are jeans, surely?

I don't care what other people are wearing - I don't exactly go around staring at people's lower half either - but no jeans aren't just jeans - some brands/models just have far better fit, feel, durability and I prefer the look, etc. though saying that I can usually tell without giving it any thought and even without examining them if someone is wearing some cheap (like really cheap/noname) brand blue jeans as they tend to just hang limply in a way that better brands don't.

Last edited:
Hey, don't blame me, blame google. I just googled why are jeans so cheap on Amazon and this thread came up near the top. Perhaps google should know that its a sin to revive old threads and make them invisible. :rolleyes:

Not 1st post btw, have a few thousand, don't know where they're gone.
be cool sweetcheeks, i was jesting. no need to get all rolleyes'd. it's all groovy baby

Am I the only one who has no clue what jeans people are wearing? I couldn't tell you if people were wearing Levi's or some much cheaper supermarket own brand jeans.

You can tell when someone is wearing certain brand names, aside from the obvious patch above the back pocket that may or may not be visible, Levis have a distinctive red tag attached to a rear pocket, Diesel have a white label sewn into the little watch pocket at the front etc..

Jeans are jeans, surely?

With regards to the brand names I agree with you in plenty of cases you're probably not getting better quality by spending more (unless perhaps getting some custom size/fit). Though as a general statement definitely not... there are loads of skinny jeans around these days that I've got no hope of fitting into. I just want normal 32 inch waist, regular cut jeans but the majority that I saw on the shelves last time I went shopping were skinny ones. I also can't stand the ripped up ones or the ones with big white bleach-like stains on the front, I'm not particularly fond of the ones that are deliberately too long but have the legs rolled up a bit either. I think some slightly faded jeans look a bit better than some completely plain blue ones but I just want a subtle amount of fading, creasing etc.. to them.

I think regarding the main topic of the thread, bulk buying from the US is probably the answer - Tesco used to do this a few years ago too with Levis - acquire them via unofficial channels in the US and then ship them over and undercut the official prices over here.

Someone mentioned factory rejects but I'm not sure that is necessarily the case here, online clothing retailers already have enough problems as it is with returns without deliberately selling stock with a much higher chance of getting returned.

People should be buying from Debenhams to stop it going under.

Some of the JasperConran/John Rocha stuff is just as good "quality" as those Vietnamese/InsertGenericAsianToiletHere Levi's
Who cares if Debenhams go under? It's not going to push me to spend my money in their store just to keep it open.

I think regarding the main topic of the thread, bulk buying from the US is probably the answer - Tesco used to do this a few years ago too with Levis - acquire them via unofficial channels in the US and then ship them over and undercut the official prices over here.

Someone mentioned factory rejects but I'm not sure that is necessarily the case here, online clothing retailers already have enough problems as it is with returns without deliberately selling stock with a much higher chance of getting returned.

If it was bulk buying, why is the price completely random over different sizes. They do have many full price pairs of the same model, just in different size/colour. I also notice that when the price is particularly low, the stock is very limited. I see some ebay sellers correctly declaring cheap branded jeans as factory seconds so they are being distributed. Flaws can be lose threads, small holes, over dying and so on.

If someone gets something at a cheap price they are more likely to just keep the item rather than hassle with a return over some minor defects.

I think that is a dubious assertion to make, it is very unlikely to be random at all. More likely they have adjusted prices in response to demand.

Well I'm 100% certain Amazon have sent me factory seconds on multiple occasions where I've looked specifically for a very low price. When have you ever bought a pair of adidas shoes in a shop with serial numbers removed and the shoe had numerous defects, sold by Amazon not fulfilled.

I don't think the demand is the reason. Once I bought something with 3 left in stock at a good price, afterwards it immediately went back up to full price. Another time the price never changed again with 3 in stock. There was no demand difference there but price changed very differently after one was bought. To me at least it makes a lot of sense that Amazon would sell factory seconds, people go there to look for bargains. I don't know anything about the consumer laws regarding this, if it needs to be declared if something is flawed but I'm certain they do that. Reviews by other people back up that as well. Look at any jeans listing and you'll see photos of lose threads, small holes etc. Exactly the same as the declared factory seconds on ebay.

My suspicion that amazon sells factory rejects at discounted prices has been confirmed yet again. Anyone know how often something like this would happen in a shop bought pair of shoes?

Your second sentence illustrates why the first sentence is silly, you've not confirmed anything by looking at a single example.

Back
Top Bottom