LG 2021 OLEDs (C1, G1 etc)

Soldato
I think all you get in terms of picture improvement is ~10% increase in peak brightness and I guess there’d possibly be improvements to uniformity and out of the box picture accuracy. You’d need to be extremely sensitive to all those sort of things to really notice it I suspect...

I’d say go for the CX rather than the G1 most definitely considering the price difference.
There’s a review on AVForums I believe.

Here we go:

https://www.avforums.com/reviews/lg-g1-oled65g1-oled-evo-tv-review.18618

maybe that’ll help :)

Soldato
I think all you get in terms of picture improvement is ~10% increase in peak brightness and I guess there’d possibly be improvements to uniformity and out of the box picture accuracy. You’d need to be extremely sensitive to all those sort of things to really notice it I suspect...

I’d say go for the CX rather than the G1 most definitely considering the price difference.

Here we go:

Getting the CX would be the sensible thing to do indeed yet I still find myself stuck. I've seen a lot of reviews, general consensus is it is an improvement, the best LG have made, just an evolution nothing revolutionary.

Man of Honour
Sorry to post across threads but it may be of relevance noting the previous posts:

The 55” [CX] is currently down to £1110 at most retailers (with a code entered at checkout, set out on the retailer product pages - easy as pie), although do bear in mind the colour differences in the models - the darker stand version seems less available.

RS and JL only seems to have the lighter coloured ones.

Soldato

Here we go:

I got it in the end. Coming next Tuesday! :D

The G1 will be a decent buy towards the end of the year, around black Friday.

At the moment it's too much money

Black Friday always optimal. I suspect this time round the drop may be a bit less as it started from a lower base price than last years GX and the LG OLED product line is more congested this year with the A, B and C line vs B and C last year. Would guess G1 will be £400 cheaper at £1600 6 months from now.

Associate
If I'm not buying until later in the year should I wait for prices on the G1 to come down?

I was looking at the CX in advance while planning what to get.

Or if the only difference is the size, the room its going in is too narrow for a 65". I dont know what a G1 is or if theres a 55" one, I've not really bothered about TVs before.

Last edited:
Soldato
If I'm not buying until later in the year should I wait for prices on the G1 to come down?

Or if the only difference is the size, the room its going in is too narrow for a 65". I dont know what a G1 is or if theres a 55" one, I've really bothered about TVs before.

If you're not buying until later in the year, you probably won't be able to get the X series anymore and will only have the varying range of 1 series TVs to choose from (within LGs own OLED lineup) by then. They come in a variety of sizes and generally speaking, the 'higher' the letter, the better or more feature filled the TV is, so a G1 is a more high spec offering than a B1 or C1 etc.

Soldato

Or if the only difference is the size, the room its going in is too narrow for a 65". I dont know what a G1 is or if theres a 55" one, I've not really bothered about TVs before.
If you buy a CX you won't need to upgrade to G1 I don't think. If you buy later in the year CX will be discontinued by then probably.

Associate
So if I'm reading what everyone is saying in this thread, if you're looking for a good new TV for a long term basis, it's either the new G1, or go with an older CX model?
And that the 55" CX is currently going around the 1100-1200 region right now, which is cheaper than the 48" one?
Is there a reason why the 55 is cheaper? Different panel? Tech? Or should I just jump on it right now? Need one for my parents place (old one has a terrible Ghosting effect that plunges half or all of the screen in delayed darkness, so need to sort that out for them).

:: edit ::

Ah, I see it's a recent new offer for them, so get them whilst you can type of thing I imagine. Cool. :)

Last edited:
Associate
So if I'm reading what everyone is saying in this thread, if you're looking for a good new TV for a long term basis, it's either the new G1, or go with an older CX model?
And that the 55" CX is currently going around the 1100-1200 region right now, which is cheaper than the 48" one?
Is there a reason why the 55 is cheaper? Different panel? Tech? Or should I just jump on it right now? Need one for my parents place (old one has a terrible Ghosting effect that plunges half or all of the screen in delayed darkness, so need to sort that out for them).

Ah, I see it's a recent new offer for them, so get them whilst you can type of thing I imagine. Cool. :)

The C1 is a very marginal upgrade over the CX for 50% more money. There's a slightly better processor, and a few minor software improvements, but that's about it. The G1 is the same as the C1 but with a new "Evo" panel, that aims to improve brightness and colour accuracy, but your now looking at £2k, that's almost double the price of a new CX. Definitely not worth that imo.

As for why 48" is the same price or more expensive as the 55"? Well it's basically because OLED panels are made from one large "mother" panel that gets divided up in to smaller ones. I can't recall the exact numbers, but I believe from one mother panel you can either get 6 55" panels, 4 65" panels or 2 77" panels and 2 48" panels. As demand for 77" OLEDs is small, not many 48" panels get made.

However, with the 2021 range of OLEDs, due to the popularity of the 48" model, there have been some changes made to the fabrication process that allow mass production of 48" panels. This is why the 48" C1 has a much lower RRP than the 48" and 55" CX. There's also been rumours that this also allows production of a 42" panel, but I'm not sure whether this has been confirmed at all.

There's a few youtube videos and stuff out there that explain better than I probably have, if you want to learn more.

On a final note though, you mentioned the TV being for a long term basis for your parents. Whilst OLED tech is pretty good now, is the content your parents watch going to put the TV at risk of burn in? If they watch a lot of news, or anything with static images, I'd definitely consider LCD depending on their circumstances.

Associate
The C1 is a very marginal upgrade over the CX for 50% more money. There's a slightly better processor, and a few minor software improvements, but that's about it. The G1 is the same as the C1 but with a new "Evo" panel, that aims to improve brightness and colour accuracy, but your now looking at £2k, that's almost double the price of a new CX. Definitely not worth that imo.

Aye, the price to tech received ratio is too high for the other ones (G with Evo). And the C1 update isn't enough of one for me to justify the purchase of them considering the sale price on a larger model too at the moment. So CX it is (hopefully before stocks run out and prices return upwards). Thanks. :)

On a final note though, you mentioned the TV being for a long term basis for your parents. Whilst OLED tech is pretty good now, is the content your parents watch going to put the TV at risk of burn in? If they watch a lot of news, or anything with static images, I'd definitely consider LCD depending on their circumstances.

Funnily enough (thanks for asking :)), they only watch the news for the weather really, and they know it's around the 25 and 55 minute mark every hour for a certain channel if they want to find out what the weather is like and whats upcoming. The rest of the time they channel hop until something catches their attention that they like, usually shows on kids (You've been framed like stuff), or documentaries on nature and animals. Or they switch to their native language stuff that we PVOD on. So no real risk of burn in (only possibility is if there's any footie on and even then it's only going to be for 2-3 hours at best if a live run). Hence why I was looking at OLED displays this time and this caught my eye. Thanks for explaining the stuff I wasn't certain on. :)

And done, one winging its way here next week also.

Last edited:
Soldato

As for why 48" is the same price or more expensive as the 55"? Well it's basically because OLED panels are made from one large "mother" panel that gets divided up in to smaller ones. I can't recall the exact numbers, but I believe from one mother panel you can either get 6 55" panels, 4 65" panels or 2 77" panels and 2 48" panels. As demand for 77" OLEDs is small, not many 48" panels get made.

However, with the 2021 range of OLEDs, due to the popularity of the 48" model, there have been some changes made to the fabrication process that allow mass production of 48" panels. This is why the 48" C1 has a much lower RRP than the 48" and 55" CX. There's also been rumours that this also allows production of a 42" panel, but I'm not sure whether this has been confirmed at all.

There's a few youtube videos and stuff out there that explain better than I probably have, if you want to learn more.

Yep that's pretty much right. The cost of the panel is less determined by its nominal size and more about how many of that panel can be made from the mother panel - more panels means more cost spread. So when you do the numbers, even if LG made just 48 inch, you can still just get 6 of them like the 55 inch so they cost the same - that's because the cost to LG is the same, LG pays for the entire mother panel, not for each panel that gets cut from it

And because these are not backlight TVs, the amount of electronics behind the panel is pretty much the same between them too - when you break it down like this you can see that actually the 48 costs nearly exactly the same to produce as the 55

Soldato
Got the G1 had it for a few days. Apart from an issue with HDMI ARC with my Sony HT-ST5000 soundbar which I think I've resolved with a setting on the TV it's been magnificent. It's been enough of an upgrade over the C7 that my partner notices it too. Very pleased with it.

Associate
If you buy a CX you won't need to upgrade to G1 I don't think. If you buy later in the year CX will be discontinued by then probably.

Maybe frame it in the light of "Will you keep this for 5-10 years, or will you be upgrading in 2 years anyway when better stuff comes out"?

Every New LG OLED TV starts from April to April then it's discontinued, it depends on website stocks when they're gone:) An OLED panel is 11.4 years if you only watch TV 5 hours a day if game and stream 12hours a day 7 years tops;)

Last edited:
Associate
Do the 2021 models still lack DTS decoding like on 2020 sets?

From reports and posts I've read (so not confirmed yet, but apparently), they still lack DTS decoding and passthrough.

---

Incidentally, I've got the CX setup at my parents full setup now. I'm wondering if it's OK if I just junk (recycle bin) the container it came in? Since the TV works flawlessly right now, and any returns (John Lewis) I won't be able to safely dismantle and put back into the box anyway.

Actually, come to think of it, how does collections of a large TV on RMA even work? Do you need to dismantle it yourself and repackage? Or do the retailer come and pick it up (without the packaging?), since it would be silly to try and repackage a large TV that's (apparently) so easy to break (even further if it needs to go back). Anyone know what happens there?

Back
Top Bottom