LG 2021 OLEDs (C1, G1 etc)

Soldato
Spoke to Richers Sounds this morning and they said John Lewis seem to have snapped up all the 48" C1's (still pre-order). They have the 48" CX in stock for £1199. Do you think it's worth waiting or the C1 at a £100 extra or just go for the CX?

Soldato
I have a 55" C1 coming soon for testing as part of a panel thing I'm in. Don't think it's going to be big enough to replace our laser PJ as the main unit. Will give it a try for a few weeks maybe or just punt it on as I think I would ideally want something up towards 70+

Associate
Spoke to Richers Sounds this morning and they said John Lewis seem to have snapped up all the 48" C1's (still pre-order). They have the 48" CX in stock for £1199. Do you think it's worth waiting or the C1 at a £100 extra or just go for the CX?

I ordered the 48" C1 from JL at Easter and received it two weeks ago. I thought it was worth the extra over the CX for the better gaming performance. It's a big improvement over the Samsung QLED that I had previously.

Soldato

Costco now have the 48 CX for £998. Costs £15 for membership if you don't have it

Soldato
On the soundbar topic, the 2019 model LG SL8YG is available in store at Costco for £330 at the moment, which is a decent discount from the £449 RRP Richer Sounds and others have been asking

Soldato
OLED55C15LA looks great but deffo too small trying to find the 77" ideally at a decent price or at the least the "65 but I think if I cannot find the 77 at a decent price might need to look into other models.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It depends on what set you've come from and what you're used to. Some people don't like watching dark scenes if they can't see every detail but if you have your set calibrated you'll realise those details aren't always meant to be seen.

Have you changed picture modes or any settings yet?

Soldato
Thanks guys. This is for bog standard TV, by that I mean HD Freeview, player etc. I've set it to Film maker mode, Gamma 2.2, brightness to 50, OLED brightness to 70, turned off the compression stuff, ECO mode off, colour temp Warm 20, (everyone recommends Warm 50 but looks very yellow to me). I guess it's getting used to it but I'm not overly impressed with it, I'll have a look at the black equaliser thing as the filled in blacks thing is fairly miserable.

It looks much better whilst gaming on the series x. The HDR needed a bit of tweaking through the xbox calibrator tool but I'm very happy with it game wise, 120hz in Cold War is lovely, as is the low lag.

I'm sure it'll take a few weeks to adjust it to how I want it.

Associate
Picked up a 55 C1 for a decent price (15% off rrp) , unfortunately its getting replaced as its a bandy piece of crap :D

Soldato
So the latest firmware (27) has added dolby vision @ 120hz on the xbox series x and the new gaming dashboard. When I launch COD Cold War I now get a dolby vision icon instead of an HDR icon. The colours have changed drastically so I guess that the difference between the two formats is large?

I think it's too dark and yellow compared with how it was in HDR, I assume it's supposed to look like this bit it's fairly horrible to my eyes.

VTR

VTR

Soldato
My 48" arrived on Friday, spent the weekend getting used to it. I'm finding it a little dark? The shadow detail seems really lacking to me?

Got mine yesterday, coming from a Samsung KS7000 I'm not that impressed at the moment. Picture seems washed out? Need some help on the best settings to use. Game mode looks really washed out playing PS5, changing it to Standard makes the colours a lot better. Is there a definitive guide for the best settings out yet?

Soldato
There's a few out there. I followed Vincent Teoh on HDTV Test, RTings and AVforums videos on Youtube. They all said pretty much the same thing really. For me I used Film maker mode, Gamma 2.2, brightness to 50, OLED brightness to 70, turned off the compression stuff, ECO mode off, colour temp Warm 20. Adjusted the black stabiliser thing in Game mode to make the shadow details less "filled in".

Back
Top Bottom