LG 34GK950G, 3440x1440, G-Sync, 120Hz

Stu

Stu

Soldato
OP
7. Effects of Cancellation
7.1 If you cancel this contract, we will reimburse to you all payments received from you, including the costs of delivery https://www.overclockers.co.uk/terms-and-conditions

not really "shrug" man. its serious to me, because no other shop does this. every shop orders their couriers to your doorstep. its a small amount to pay for them, but it would cost me around 100 euros to send back a box like a monitor back to uk

For distance selling, EU law says that if you cancel an order within 14 days of receipt, and then return within next 14 days, you should be refunded the cost of the item and the delivery charge. However, the seller does not have to cover the cost of return shipment... this is where PayPal's offer of paying return postage up to £15 is very useful... can you pay with PayPal on OcUK?

Associate
For distance selling, EU law says that if you cancel an order within 14 days of receipt, and then return within next 14 days, you should be refunded the cost of the item and the delivery charge. However, the seller does not have to cover the cost of return shipment... this is where PayPal's offer of paying return postage up to £15 is very useful... can you pay with PayPal on OcUK?
i pay for everything with paypal. always.
never knew they do that thank you stu. LETS HOPE I WONT NEED IT :D i really need this monitor to be perfect.

also let me just say that every store i ever purchased from, ALWAYS covered postage.. ;d

Soldato
i pay for everything with paypal. always.
never knew they do that thank you stu. LETS HOPE I WONT NEED IT :D i really need this monitor to be perfect.

also let me just say that every store i ever purchased from, ALWAYS covered postage.. ;d

It won't be perfect, you need to lower your expectations, it WILL have some backlight bleed and probably some minor problems. From the very limited things I have seen this monitor looks like the best UW IPS so far though.

Associate
However, PayPal don't offer the same level of protection that paying on credit card offers, at least in the UK.
what do you mean by that? paypal has literally the best protections ever :p
It won't be perfect, you need to lower your expectations, it WILL have some backlight bleed and probably some minor problems. From the very limited things I have seen this monitor looks like the best UW IPS so far though.
i know im prepared for blb/glow that is visible in dark scenes.

but not like that polish guy's monitor, where glow was obnoxiously visible in witcher 3 etc.

also minor issues depending on what. if the monitor has issues it is therefore faulty

Soldato
what do you mean by that? paypal has literally the best protections ever :p

i know im prepared for blb/glow that is visible in dark scenes.

but not like that polish guy's monitor, where glow was obnoxiously visible in witcher 3 etc.

also minor issues depending on what. if the monitor has issues it is therefore faulty

Hm well just some minor issues probably, I am just trying to help you. According to what you said there probably 95% of consumer monitors are "faulty".

Soldato
then there might be a problem with the industry as a whole :D

Yes well my advice to you, would be get one that has faults you can live with, and just keep it. The quest for the "perfect" monitor would be a very painful journey which would end up with you doing what I said in the first sentence.

Associate
Yes well my advice to you, would be get one that has faults you can live with, and just keep it. The quest for the "perfect" monitor would be a very painful journey which would end up with you doing what I said in the first sentence.
oh i know for sure, thank you. i allready had aw34 but i was unhappy with it. refunded it and waited for lg 950g, and ehre i am.. waiting for them to ship it out :D

Associate
My 34GK950F arrived today so I spent about 6 hours testing and calibrating it. I have minimal BLB and normal IPS glow but there's one major issue(for me) that I haven't seen documented anywhere. The issue is that running "Extended Freesync" mode with DisplayPort limits the gamut to less than what LG claims. This results in about 75% coverage of sRGB with the sRGB profile and about 99% coverage of sRGB with any of the Native gamut profiles(Game mode). Running "Basic Freesync" mode, disabling Freesync, or using HDMI on any Freesync setting returns the correct gamut coverage for Native gamut profiles and the sRGB setting. For example, running any non "Extended Freesync" setting provides about 130% sRGB in the Native gamut profiles and about 99% sRGB with the sRGB profile and calibrates/profiles very very well.

For my testing I used DisplayCAL and an i1Display Pro with offsets(meter corrections) created with an i1Pro 2. I was able to verify these results with DisplayCAL and roughly in Calman Colormatch but I was having issues with my license so I was only able to use Colormatch in Calman instead of my full version. Most of my testing was done at 120nits, although I also tested Game and sRGB modes after a full result with default brightness and found the same results.

If anyone else has the gear to test their Freesync model, it'd be much appreciated. You don't need the spectro like me for offsets, I was just trying to get the best results I could. Any decent colorimeter should be fine. I suspect this isn't an issue with my unit but rather something LG is doing with their Freesync implementation. I've never seen anything like this with any other Freesync monitor. @Baddass I suspect you don't have this panel anymore but thought I'd tag you in case.

Man of Honour
My 34GK950F arrived today so I spent about 6 hours testing and calibrating it. I have minimal BLB and normal IPS glow but there's one major issue(for me) that I haven't seen documented anywhere. The issue is that running "Extended Freesync" mode with DisplayPort limits the gamut to less than what LG claims. This results in about 75% coverage of sRGB with the sRGB profile and about 99% coverage of sRGB with any of the Native gamut profiles(Game mode). Running "Basic Freesync" mode, disabling Freesync, or using HDMI on any Freesync setting returns the correct gamut coverage for Native gamut profiles and the sRGB setting. For example, running any non "Extended Freesync" setting provides about 130% sRGB in the Native gamut profiles and about 99% sRGB with the sRGB profile and calibrates/profiles very very well.

For my testing I used DisplayCAL and an i1Display Pro with offsets(meter corrections) created with an i1Pro 2. I was able to verify these results with DisplayCAL and roughly in Calman Colormatch but I was having issues with my license so I was only able to use Colormatch in Calman instead of my full version. Most of my testing was done at 120nits, although I also tested Game and sRGB modes after a full result with default brightness and found the same results.

If anyone else has the gear to test their Freesync model, it'd be much appreciated. You don't need the spectro like me for offsets, I was just trying to get the best results I could. Any decent colorimeter should be fine. I suspect this isn't an issue with my unit but rather something LG is doing with their Freesync implementation. I've never seen anything like this with any other Freesync monitor. @Baddass I suspect you don't have this panel anymore but thought I'd tag you in case.

that is strange, and not something i tested as i had no real cause to. wouldn't have expected the FreeSync setting to impact the colour space. when you select Freesync extended mode, does the preset colour space in the OSD menu also switch to the sRGB mode as well? i'm trying to recall where i had information on the basic vs extended mode too - will dig out

Soldato

Sounds similiar to something I've observed on Samsung models before. Try this:

Open ‘Radeon Settings’, navigate to ‘Display’ – ‘Color’ (little icon towards the top right) and press the ‘Color Temperature’ toggle so it reads ‘6500K’ instead of ‘Automatic’.

Associate
when you select Freesync extended mode, does the preset colour space in the OSD menu also switch to the sRGB mode as well? i'm trying to recall where i had information on the basic vs extended mode too - will dig out
No it doesn't, it stays in the mode you have selected when you enable it.

I noticed something was up almost immediately when I first set the sRGB mode with Extended Freesync running because everything looked muted, sort of like I was running limited signal instead of full range. Testing it showed it was only 75% of sRGB which launched me into hours of testing to try to get similar results to your review. Once I disabled Extended Freesync it gave me good gamut coverage. This behavior translated over to other OSD profiles as well.

Sounds similiar to something I've observed on Samsung models before. Try this:

Open ‘Radeon Settings’, navigate to ‘Display’ – ‘Color’ (little icon towards the top right) and press the ‘Color Temperature’ toggle so it reads ‘6500K’ instead of ‘Automatic’.
Mine is set to 6500k. White point is fine with Extended Freesync enabled though, it's the entire gamut that shifts(well, shrinks).

Soldato
For some reason the setting I mentioned hugely changes saturation levels on some Samsung models when using the 'Ultimate Engine' (highest FreeSync range) setting. So it isn't specifically about the white point. But if things look exactly the same regardless of what you set this to, it's obviously a different issue you've got, hopefully you can get to the bottom of it.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
OP
However, PayPal don't offer the same level of protection that paying on credit card offers, at least in the UK.

I'm not entirely certain on this... I know it is often said that you lose Section 75 protection when using PayPal, however, I've had confirmation from MBNA that using PayPal with their credit card gives the exact same level of protection as using the card direct... maybe it depends on the card issuer (or MBNA lied to me)

Man of Honour
i definitely remember reading somewhere about what the two FS settings do on the 950F, but can't for the life of me find it. I do wonder whether perhaps the basic mode is most suitable and adequate, if the extended mode is forcing a smaller gamut for some reason - although i can't really think of a reason it would do that

Associate
i definitely remember reading somewhere about what the two FS settings do on the 950F, but can't for the life of me find it. I do wonder whether perhaps the basic mode is most suitable and adequate, if the extended mode is forcing a smaller gamut for some reason - although i can't really think of a reason it would do that
Oh, the difference between extended and basic is the range. I don't have the monitor connected right now but I believe Extended gave me a range of 50-144 and Basic was 120-144. For my use Basic is virtually useless.

Back
Top Bottom