1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Legend, Dec 19, 2018.

1. deadrom

Associate

Go here (Amazon Germany) and scroll down to the reviews section, there is a picture attached on one review that shows the shadows the tile based edge lighting caused on the 38WK95C. The photo is enhanced in contrast because the camera does not catch it.

https://www.amazon.de/LG-Products-38WK95C-W-Monitor-inches/dp/B0798RDFK7/

(Does this forum have a picture service?)

2. akaRonin

Associate

...after seeing the video I wonder how much will this monitor cost... because the video is completely geared to 14 years old kids... will 14 years old kids be able to afford this monitor ?
    Also the HDR 400 is a massive disappointment... but more important than all this... will there be a Free Sync 2 version of this monitor ?

ps: 21:9 !? Really LG !? Really !? LOL

3. Legend

Soldato

Safe bet you won't get much change from £2K. What gaming oriented product ISN'T seemingly targeted at 14 year-olds these days though? The marketing departments know it's the parents who have the money. That is one GOD-AWFUL video though to be fair. Those SDR/HDR comparisons are just laughable. It actually feels like it's been created for another country (Asia/Far East maybe) and English text laid on top.

4. muSashisf

Associate

5. JediFragger

Capodecina

Yeah I can see them trying it on with £2k, nothing like it is gonna be out there.

6. Legend

Soldato

With G-Sync and the fact there is no other monitor like it, I can see £2K+ being a possibility, but that will be a hard sell if the 4K 43" 144Hz Acer/Asus monitors come in well under that figure (and they both have VESA 1000/600 HDR). They are VA panels, but I'd question how many prospective buyers of the 38GL950G are really DESPERATE for a colour critical IPS monitor with these gaming features... plus VA does get very close these days (and will have better blacks). Not to mention the low odds bleed/glow lottery you enter into buying any IPS monitor!

I'm on the fence with them all really, eagerly awaiting reviews, but at £2K and no HDR, the LG will be a big fat NO for many I think.

7. Born_2_Kill_83

Sgarrista

Wanting this monitor but I won't go to £2k, no chance, £1300 on a GPU/monitor is around my limit maybe 1400 at a push

8. muSashisf

Associate

Just found out that this monitor got G-sync certified by Nvidia. Looks like the monitor is not using the G-SYNC ULTIMATE module.

It says the monitor got G-SYNC, and not G-SYNC Compatible, so I guess that means it is using a G-sync module.
    Variable Refresh Rate Range: 1-175Hz
    Variable Overdrive: Yes

Source:
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

You can also read more about the different categories of G-Sync here:
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/g-sync-ces-2019-announcements/

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 10:45 AM
  9. VitaminD3

Associate

Does that mean there's a new update to the G-SYNC module? Previously it couldn't handle that resolution and refresh rate together, so it has to be different from the one used in the 34GK950G surely?

10. JediFragger

Capodecina

I don't think this will be made for the masses, more like a willy waver halo product.

11. JediFragger

Capodecina

You may be able to get the upcoming Acer 43" for that.

12. Legend

Soldato

I'm not entirely sure what they'll have to wave about though. It feels like this is just a bigger version of the 34GK950G, which was OK, but nothing amazing and rather overpriced for what it was. No HDR and the good chance of glow/bleed issues (which I've yet to see an IPS monitor without), and it seems like LG could be waving around an overpriced lemon more than anything else.

Price given as $2000 here... says rolling out next month, but that may just be 27" version...
    https://www.morningstar.com/news/pr...ches-worlds-first-ips-1ms-gaming-monitor.html

13. Howling

Wise Guy

Yup, I was down for this as an upgrade to my xr34 but that was assuming similar launch price, maybe as high as 1200.. I got the xr34 for like 850 quid FOUR years ago, when the ultrawides were brand new to market... so here we are 4 years later and a slight improvement is looking to cost 2-3x? No thanks.

14. Born_2_Kill_83

Sgarrista

Yeah same bought mine on release for £950, still on the same panel now. I really want an upgrade to something but that's just silly money.

15. MikeLoader

Associate

LG went total cazy with this it seems. Not that fantastic tech they make it sound like, and that price uuh. They should just take AMD who also went fully retard with their upcoming Navi. No ratracing support and about the same prices as nVidia RTX. They better join hands. No sane persson will pay for that crap :/

16. Legend

Soldato

Were it not for relatively affordable 144Hz HDR-1000 4K now very much on the horizon (which will be cheaper than the LG it seems), this would have been a very exciting monitor release... 2 years ago!! Bit late to the party with a HDR-400 monitor circa £2K, unfortunately.

17. MikeLoader

Associate

Yeah it's a big disapointment really, crazy price. But I was thinking about RMA my new 32GK850G for the 27 incher, but no g-sync and also overhyped tech and no deliver, makes me wanna keep my monitor. The only thing I would benefit woul be higher PPI. The rest seems like a downgrade; okey it will be slighlty faster but this VA is good enough. And what fun is to downgrade in size plus most probably get IPS glow and also lower contrast :/
    It seems like my GK850G is a keeper for a long time forward!

18. WhiteSkyMage

Associate

Why is there NO company out there to challenge LG in ultrawide? Why does Samsung or Asus or Acer not make a 38GL950G equivalent with HDR1000 and FreeSync 2? It's like LG is putting NO effort whatsoever in their Ultrawide monitors anymore. Shame. If you can't do something right, just sell the freaking IP to someone who can do it and focus on whatever you can do, like phones or TVs.

19. JediFragger

Capodecina

Must admit I had the LG 38UC99 and tbf it's a really really epic size and form factor. Def gives something extra over a 34in 21:9 and I regret selling it now (for a silly reason!) :(

20. Legend

Soldato

Yeah I've seen one of those... it's a very nice screen and impressive when sat in front of I must admit. It's just the price tag attached to this LG, more so in light of what you'll soon be able to get for less with 43" 4K 144Hz (which will also have that visual wow factor of course). It just feels it's coming too late and at too high a price... but will see what reviews say of course.