LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Man of Honour
Could I request that you test whether you can run 175Hz (or possibly more?) at lower than native or cropped resolutions? For example 16:9 2844x1600?

i've tested this for you. standard recognized resolutions like 2560 x 1600, 2560 x 1440, 1920 x 1080 etc work fine at 175Hz without issue. NVIDIA control panel still seems to force 442 chroma though even at the lower resolutions, like it does at native 3840 x 1600 @ 175Hz. There isn't any standard option to over-ride this chroma drop in NVIDIA control panel that i can see. You can run all those non native standard resolutions at 160Hz though and have full chroma and 8-bit colour so that's one way round it for all those resolutions including the native.

If you create a custom resolution for something weird like 2844 x 1600 then that works fine at up to 160Hz (again you can then have RGB chroma and 8-bit colour). At 175Hz though that custom res doesn't seem to work, it gives a messed up image when testing it.

so recognised non native resolutions = fine at 175Hz if you want
unrecognised custom res of 2844 x 1600 = fine up to 160Hz, not at 175Hz

Associate
I got this monitor in today and it is a blast in Escape from Tarkov. I'll post some thoughts in no particular order:

1. Box is smaller than you would think for such a display.
2. I love curved monitors and it works well with this format display. I do wish it was just a little bit more curved.
3. AR film is great. Definitely on the lighter side, no annoying sparkle or clarity hampering.
4. It does have a fan, but it is definitely the quietest fan I've heard in any DP 1.4 G-Sync monitor.
5. Not a huge proponent of the single middle under-front-lip joystick control. The OSD presets also don't save things like brightness and on-screen cross-hair. You have to manually adjust those things every time if you want to change them, as the four presets don't save their status.
6. The overdrive setting of "fast" is really the only option. They may have well just deleted the others. As we all know, the "Fastest" setting is a overdrive artifact joke and used just to publish a "1ms" marketing blurb.
7. Brightness is great and suitable for a room with a lot of windows. My Mark I eyeball has it around ~500 nits.
8. 160 Hz is basically the refresh rate that makes the most sense. Set it to Full RGB 160 Hz 8-bit color, turn on G-Sync, Turn on V-Sync, Ultra Low Latency mode and FPS cap to 156 and forget about it.
9. HDR as we all know is a "check the box" on this monitor and not really worth using. Locks brightness control and other annoying things.
10. Contrast as expected is pretty poor, in the 700-800:1 range. Associated poor black depth.
11. IPS glow seems to be standard fair for a modern IPS. Back light bleed is minimal.
12. QD film colors are great.
13. The variable back-light settings don't seem to do much. Although, it does make the display slightly brighter so I leave it on the (Faster) setting.
14. 3840x1600 37.5" @ 160 Hz/FPS is a real immersive treat. You will need some serious hardware for this display outside of playing Counterstrike and Overwatch.
15. Whites are actually white with no tinging like on some other LCDs.
16. Motion clarity is excellent for an IPS. Although still noticeably not as clear as something like my 240 Hz TN Lenovo Y27gq-25.
17. As with basically all G-Sync monitors, input lag is virtually non existent.
18. Being an IPS, viewing angles are great. No noticeable gamma shift.
19. My 4K Firestick worked in the HDMI port, but only obviously at 1080p max. It does allow a 16:9 image to be stretched, but missing a "zoom" function that would allow taking advantage of 2.35:1 movies and getting rid of the black bars is a missed opportunity.
20. Having 111 pixels per inch along with typically a slightly further viewing distance due to the monitors size, text and images are sharp and clear.
21. The screen edges do have vignetting. While not readily apparent in normal use and gaming, a solid color easily reveals it.
22. The circle light on the back is a bit of a joke if you wish to use it as bias lighting. Totally diffused improperly and the colors are really bad for bias light use. Just hold down the scroll-wheel next to the OSD joystick to completely turn that junk off and purchase a real bias light.

So who is this monitor for? I'd say someone who has a really beefy PC, who doesn't play or care too much about HDR games and who likes wide-screen/curved immersion. I feel it hits a real "sweet spot" when it comes to the combination of size, resolution, and refresh rate for someone with a 2080Ti or RTX Titan. Since LG OLEDs are still stuck at 4K/60 Hz or 120 Hz 1440p until the next GPU cycle, this is my go-to gaming display for now (quite possibly until the 48CX launches).

Soldato
i've tested this for you. standard recognized resolutions like 2560 x 1600, 2560 x 1440, 1920 x 1080 etc work fine at 175Hz without issue. NVIDIA control panel still seems to force 442 chroma though even at the lower resolutions, like it does at native 3840 x 1600 @ 175Hz. There isn't any standard option to over-ride this chroma drop in NVIDIA control panel that i can see. You can run all those non native standard resolutions at 160Hz though and have full chroma and 8-bit colour so that's one way round it for all those resolutions including the native.

If you create a custom resolution for something weird like 2844 x 1600 then that works fine at up to 160Hz (again you can then have RGB chroma and 8-bit colour). At 175Hz though that custom res doesn't seem to work, it gives a messed up image when testing it.

so recognised non native resolutions = fine at 175Hz if you want
unrecognised custom res of 2844 x 1600 = fine up to 160Hz, not at 175Hz
That's great, thanks for checking that out for me.

Associate
Has anyone that has this monitor experienced any 1-2 second blanking to black screen issues? It's happened to me four times now since I've had the monitor. It could be the DP cable, which doesn't particularly seem to be of any special quality. Especially since at 160 Hz I'm basically maxing out DP 1.4 bandwidth on this display. I have a new cable inbound to test.

Soldato
Has anyone that has this monitor experienced any 1-2 second blanking to black screen issues? It's happened to me four times now since I've had the monitor. It could be the DP cable, which doesn't particularly seem to be of any special quality. Especially since at 160 Hz I'm basically maxing out DP 1.4 bandwidth on this display. I have a new cable inbound to test.

My X34 does the same thing. Hear a "pop" and then screen goes black for a second or so... sometimes it goes black then cycles through all the input sources, which is highly annoying. If you find out why it does it, let me know and I'll check if mine's the same cause.

Associate

nothing this end either, been running at 160hz for everything. had it over a month now enjoying everything about it... games look amazing

Associate
Not experienced that myself and basically running at 160Hz the whole time. Is that during desktop use or gaming or what?

Both. It did it again three times today.

My X34 does the same thing. Hear a "pop" and then screen goes black for a second or so... sometimes it goes black then cycles through all the input sources, which is highly annoying. If you find out why it does it, let me know and I'll check if mine's the same cause.

nothing this end either, been running at 160hz for everything. had it over a month now enjoying everything about it... games look amazing

Gonna suck if the new cable doesn't fix it, may have to send this otherwise good sample back.

Back
Top Bottom