1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Legend, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Born_2_Kill_83

Underboss

Had this once yesterday as well, just thought it was a game doing it maybe rivatuner but now I'm not so sure

2. Vega

Wise Guy

Could be the cable. I had issues with the OEM one and swapped it out.

I use 1,600 DPI. I grew up on higher sensitivity and can't do these crazy low DPI/huge mouse pad whole arm movement settings the "pros" use these days.

3. maddogstu

Associate

Many Thanks Vega & Born 2 Kill 83 - appreciate it - thought there was something wrong with my monitor or graphics card.

I will see if it happens again, if it does - i will swap with another DP 1.4 cable i have; however my original cable only ever gave me 85Hz, and that is why i went with the DP cable that came with the monitor.

4. Born_2_Kill_83

Underboss

My cable boast's a tag saying "5K", could it be a cheap one?

5. maddogstu

Associate

yep; the cable that came with my LG has a tag on it stating "5K" as well

6. narrn001

Associate

Man this monitor is so much better than my old Asus XG438Q!

Colors just pop and are more vivid and the image looks alot better even though the contrast ratio is much lower than that Asus XG438Q I have. And the best part is the response! Omg this monitor is blistering fast, it leaves the Asus for dead with all the bloody black smearing the XG438Q has!

Very happy with the upgrade.

Also, people having issues with the monitor switching to 85hz 422, I think it happens when the monitor has been idle for too long and goes into standby from windows. When it comes back on, it does so at 85Hz. Probably just a bug and not any fault to any hardware. Anyways, this is how it happens for me, I can avoid it by making sure the monitor does not goto standby mode. Always stays at 160Hz 444 in that case.

7. Born_2_Kill_83

Underboss

That make sense and proved it to be true earlier, although still a bit annoying. I've turned off full power down mode off or whatever it was called

8. maddogstu

Associate

Many thanks; I can confirm the above; the monitor switching to 85Hz , 4:2:2 and Limited; is when the monitor has powered off. Then when your monitor itself powers off the monito; For me it seems to be around 30minutes of inactivity - i.e. Windows setting 15minutes power off Monitor setting; and then whatever the setting is in LG Monitor settings etc..

I don't get the monitor going into 85Hz, if I move the mouse say between the 15-30min mark.

What settings are people using here to stop this slightly annoying behaviour of switching to 85Hz please?

9. Baddass

Don

Pretty sure you’re the same person who emailed me at TFTCentral pondering this upgrade. I’m pleased to hear you were happy with the change! :)

10. faxfan

Gangster

How's the brightness on this? I work in a quite a light room and have a PG348Q (older 100Hz model) and end up using gamma correction quite a lot in games which makes them look washed out.

11. narrn001

Associate

Bahaha, that sure is me! I went ahead and pulled the trigger immediately after that e-mail. Thank you very much sir! :)

Definitely a worthy upgrade over the Asus!

12. maddogstu

Associate

13. Vega

Wise Guy

That is strange. I've been using the monitor for over three weeks now and this 85 Hz thing has never happened to me.

14. x3sphere

Associate

Haven't experienced that issue myself either. FWIW, I'm using a USB-C to DP cable to connect to the monitor. The USB-C port on the RTX graphics cards works fine for driving the monitor. I don't think there would be any advantage to using USB-C, but it's easier for me to swap the cable between my PC and MBP if I need to, so that's the only reason I did it.

15. Baddass

Don

If it’s a bug with the screen then I’m sure they will fix it with a firmware update. That’s a good thing about having user updates via the software :)

16. maddogstu

Associate

re: the Monitor going into 85Hz, Limited Range etc.. after it has gone into deep sleep etc.. \ powered off due to inactivity. I decided to raise a speculative ticket with LG customer services; and they have responded with the below. I have given permission for VOC and said I would share their response so that others having this issue can also do the same with LG to this niggle \ problem fixed.

hope the above is of help to people.

17. JediFragger

Capodecina

LG rep @Alice Gibbs seems to be about as useful as a condom machine in the Vatican, but might actually see the above at some point and prove otherwise.

18. JediFragger

Capodecina

38GL owners, do you have to re-set the Hz every time the monitor goes to sleep? Or are their 2 modes of sleep etc? I often just put my computer to sleep for an hour or so, just wondering if I'd have to manually turn the monitor off every time in order to avoid re-setting for 160Hz.

19. Born_2_Kill_83

Underboss

Yeah read a page or 2 back buddy, we've been talking about it

20. JediFragger

Capodecina

Just wanted to be clear about it, but thx anyway.