LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Soldato
Just received my 38GL950, ordered from the B-Grade section after making an offer to Nik (as per his thread in the deals section on the forum).

Was a bit worried because it's obviously been sent back by somebody and I've read all the stories here but so far everything is perfect... I've been using it for about 6 hours with a mix of web browsing, gaming, youtube and tested some 4K HDR content. The screen has no dead or stuck pixels and so far I have not been able to hear the fan unless I put my ear against the top vents. The only sound I can hear when doing this is a very gentle whoosh sound, but I can't hear anything at all once I move more than a few inches away.

I will mention that I am not sat in a silent office, but my house is generally quiet and my PC is near enough silent. I am normally quite sensitive to high pitch noises and coil whine, for example, I had to set the pump on my Galahad 360 to 50% otherwise that whine annoyed me too much and if I have a can of fizzy drink on my desk for too long the sound of the fizzing starts to bug me. I'm not sure why this unit was sent back but so far, so good and definitely worth what I paid :)

Date on the back of the monitor - 07/20
Power brick version 1.4

Associate
Whats the firmware for everyones monitor. Mine has been on 1.2 since last year. i an concerned that I am behind

It seems the only place to update it is from the lg control center.

Associate
Hi guys! Need your help. Does anyone know or able to check if the auxiliary fan (the small on the side) runs all the time? The problem is when my gpu fan kicks in, the small fan stays off. And while running my monitor, I have never noticed that fan running.

Associate
In case anyone is wondering what my temps are after watercooling. Service menu says die temp 40C but it also says self check pass/fail FAILED maybe because it knows a fan isn't plugged in. My water temps are 25C.

Associate
Does anyone know how to exit service menu? I've just finished my fan-delete project but I'm stuck in the service menu!

edit: I think I'm in the AGING screen, the one that walks around the border of the screen showing the temp and fan status. I can't escape.
Here you go AlexTNZ

And to exit it's:
You need to move the cursor down to the bottom of the service menu where there isn't any option (blank) then power cycle.

Associate
Does anyone know who to enter the engineer (service) menu on this monitor?
These were the instructions I found on the web - search <lg monitor service menu>

These instructions are at your own risk - please don't blame me if you accidentally activate a setting in the menu and break something

To access service menu:

Via Joystick
Power off monitor - wait 5s
<L><L><L><R>
Power on monitor
When display is on - briefly press in joystick to bring up normal control menu (power off, input, settings, etc)
<R> for settings

The service menu should pop up now
To exit menu press <L> on joystick

It might take a few attempts get the sequence right - you'll know if it just brings up the normal settings menu instead of the service menu

Once you've got it though, you'll need to power off the monitor to get the normal settings menu back again

And to exit:
You need to move the cursor down to the bottom of the service menu where there isn't any option (blank) then power cycle.

Associate
These were the instructions I found on the web - search <lg monitor service menu>

These instructions are at your own risk - please don't blame me if you accidentally activate a setting in the menu and break something

To access service menu:

Via Joystick
Power off monitor - wait 5s
<L><L><L><R>
Power on monitor
When display is on - briefly press in joystick to bring up normal control menu (power off, input, settings, etc)
<R> for settings

The service menu should pop up now
To exit menu press <L> on joystick

It might take a few attempts get the sequence right - you'll know if it just brings up the normal settings menu instead of the service menu

Once you've got it though, you'll need to power off the monitor to get the normal settings menu back again

And to exit:

Thanks!!! That perfectly worked, I would only point one thing, after switching off the display, wait about 10sec before starting the procedure. I actually hoped I can replace factory (default) brightness and contrast with my preferred settings. My logic board died, and I got a new board, however it wasn't calibrated to my display, but I had my previous settings recorded, so was hoping to replace default settings with the previous one. Do you know by any chance what can do the trick?

Hello guys, I just went through a 4 month nightmare with LG repair and their RA department and they will no longer speak to me and sent back my faulty monitor. They ignored my case for weeks and told me they can't refund my device. That aside I really didn't want a refund just the bad g sync module fan replaced which they can't fix apparently. I bought a new fan that was linked in this forum but it did not come with a connector attached. Do you guys know what connector I need to purchase and crimp tool? I want to keep the old fan intact for the future lawsuit against LG. Any help finding this connector would be appreciated. Thanks

Associate
Hello guys, I just went through a 4 month nightmare with LG repair and their RA department and they will no longer speak to me and sent back my faulty monitor. They ignored my case for weeks and told me they can't refund my device. That aside I really didn't want a refund just the bad g sync module fan replaced which they can't fix apparently. I bought a new fan that was linked in this forum but it did not come with a connector attached. Do you guys know what connector I need to purchase and crimp tool? I want to keep the old fan intact for the future lawsuit against LG. Any help finding this connector would be appreciated. Thanks

yo if your lawyer actually thinks you have a chance. Make it a class action suit. Ill join in.

Associate

Do you mean the fan doesnt work or that it does work and is loud ?

Soldato
Just received my 38GL950, ordered from the B-Grade section after making an offer to Nik (as per his thread in the deals section on the forum).

Was a bit worried because it's obviously been sent back by somebody and I've read all the stories here but so far everything is perfect... I've been using it for about 6 hours with a mix of web browsing, gaming, youtube and tested some 4K HDR content. The screen has no dead or stuck pixels and so far I have not been able to hear the fan unless I put my ear against the top vents. The only sound I can hear when doing this is a very gentle whoosh sound, but I can't hear anything at all once I move more than a few inches away.

Glad your B grade one is good, I've just emailed offers over for a couple of monitors - the 38GL is one of them (would have preferred the GN, but none in stock), hoping it gets accepted :D

Soldato
I've had this monitor for a while, are there any recommended settings? be that on the monitor, drivers, Nvidia etc? I've never really played with the settings so pretty sure I'm missing out on something.

Back
Top Bottom