LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Soldato
So, I'm going to be selling this and getting a LG C2 42" OLED when that releases, I'll probably buy the OLED first and compare for a while.

My question is, I've had this monitor for a while and love it, but I'm out of touch since buying it, is it still worth selling? I've got the box and all the original packaging and stuff, but I honestly don't know what to market it at.

Soldato
So, I'm going to be selling this and getting a LG C2 42" OLED when that releases, I'll probably buy the OLED first and compare for a while.

My question is, I've had this monitor for a while and love it, but I'm out of touch since buying it, is it still worth selling? I've got the box and all the original packaging and stuff, but I honestly don't know what to market it at.

Do a price check in the MM, May get some knowledgable answers.

Associate
In case anyone is wondering what my temps are after watercooling. Service menu says die temp 40C but it also says self check pass/fail FAILED maybe because it knows a fan isn't plugged in. My water temps are 25C.
picked up this monitor used about a year and a half ago and now the fan started the whine and it's driving me absolutely insane so I have to do something about it
it's been a while since this topic was discussed - has anyone figured out a good solution to fix this? seems based on @harrispilton's work splicing the wires looks fruitless so i'm thinking of just routing and connecting a new fan or 2 through the USB hub in the back. since a larger fan would require the blades to be removed, I was thinking of doing this to a fan and just drilling in mounting the holes to mount. Based on prior pictures the 75 mm sized fan looked pretty snug in the enclosure, would an 80 mm fan be able to fit or should i settle with the 60mm noctua? any help would be awesome :)

Associate
Just purchased second hand 38GL950G-B for 380 €. Otherwise in perfect condition, but the fan makes pitchy noise. As far as I gathered by briefly scrolling the thread, the fan that mostly ever spins is the normal axial flow fan, which is 5V and PWM. The connector looks quite easy to work with from the pictures to connect a standar 4-pin PC PWM fan. Noctua does seem to have several 5V PWM alternatives in nearby sizes relative to the original fan.

So far it seems that the most difficult part would be removing the back cover nice and clean. Any quides, advices and tips out there how to do it, eg. where to start applying prongs and force, technique etc.? Would very much appreciate it. I could share my results of the project here.

So the plan is to replace the thermal paste of the fan heatsink with higher quality alternative and also do the same for the thermal pads. After that replace the main fan with as wide Noctua model as possible to fit. I also want to disconnet the LED lights and leave them that way, since they do have a lit startup cycle even though they are set off.

There is a Youtube video that shows the location of the back panel clips after opening, but otherwise doesn't offer much practical help of the process.

Associate
Would be interesting to know if replacing the thermal paste makes much difference to the fan noise
I always just assumed that the g-sync fan was a set speed

I wouldn't be surprised if the fan turned on quite a bit less often. I will be using standard Noctua NH-T1 paste, which has a pretty solid reputation in regards to holding its own in extended use, as I will hope the install won't need any maintenance for several years.

Just ordered a Noctua NF-A8 5V PWM and a NF-A9 5V PWM. I will use which ever I find easier to fit and better for the purpose. I might end up having to cut some of the metal case or the heatspreader fins, but that would be alright. Most foreseeable issue has to do with the depth, but I'll see how that turns out in practise. It will be a tight fit.

edit: The Noctuas will be a week or two away from arriving, but already got Gelid GP-extreme and -ultimate thermal pads to replace the critical pads on the SMD's.

Last edited:
Associate
Got back to the project after the required accessories arrived and got other stuff sorted out. Updates done so far today: Made an adapter for the NF-A8 5V PWM for the circuit board and installed new thermal heat pads and paste onto the G-Sync module, and closed it. I did use more thermal paste than normally, since I suspect the heatsink and die probably isn't super tight together, just to make sure the possible gap is filled. Tested that the Noctua seems to work as should with the display. The G-Sync fan on the display has a startup cycle whenever power is connected to display and at least during that it spins fine and dead silent, still providing a decent airflow that can be felt.

Update on the album with few new pics and a video:

The critical part follows, which is to find out if the Noctua actually fits inside the monitor, with its frame cut out. My initial tricky measurement told there should be 1,5 mm excess space depth-wise, but you never know if that holds in practise. Fingers crossed.

Associate
Gave it my best, but the Noctua doesn't fit. I stripped the fan off the very last half a millimeter of its depth, and eventually punctured the fuild chamber. It was still 2-3 mm away from fitting. Stripped to bare minimun, it might fit if you make a cutout on the metal grill facing the fan, but I wasn't really prepared to go there. That might affect the structural strength of the monitor skeleton. My initial measurements were way off. The original fan is about 12,7 mm thick. I measured again and there should be additional 6 mm of room. I was able to get the Noctua down to 19,7 mm, and that's without roughly the 1 mm thick tiny metal disc (possibly a critical magnet) that came off of the axle base just before the fuild chamber.

I'm going to have look for another alternative, or end up ordering replacement original fan. Stay tuned.

edit: Give me heads up if you know any possible alternatives for the original fan. Specs should 80mm 5V PWM - and thin enough.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm pretty sure there is a link to the original fan somewhere back in this thread

This is the cheapest original I found, roughly 25 € including shipping:

I would first and foremost try to find something else, as its unnecessarily narrow and apparently has a pretty low quality control. People ordering a replacement of the original have said that the new one was whiny out of the box.

What I shortly googled yesterday evening it seems that other 5V PWM options in given dimensions or approximity could be nonexisting.

Associate
I tried to measure the best I could how much more space cutting the metal grill would provide and I got even 3 mm. Even that would unlikely allow the Noctua to fit, or either the plastic backside of the monitor housing would practically touch the fan with hardly space for a paper in between.

I ended up ordering a original replacement fan, which cost 23,15 € with store discount code from the link above from Aliexpress. Unless Noctua produces a slim 5 V PWM fan within the 80 mm range, it looks like the original could be only option at the time.

Btw. Noctua is aware of this thread, and they know there is a need for a slimmer models of the small diameter fans in their range, as well as and particularly in the 5V PWM world in general.

Last edited:
Associate
Does anyone know how to exit service menu? I've just finished my fan-delete project but I'm stuck in the service menu!

edit: I think I'm in the AGING screen, the one that walks around the border of the screen showing the temp and fan status. I can't escape.

Very late responce, but this happened to me also. You need to enter the service menu and unselect the AGING menu option from the main service menu. Then power off from the menu and back to normal.

Since the original replacement fan is weeks from arriving, I decided to try the monitor without the G-Sync fan. I disabled G-Sync in Windows and looking at service menu the die temp seems to stabilize at 78 C with full brightness, but with secondary fan probably at full speed from the sound of it. Exiting service menu and after a brief moment of normal use with ~40 % brightness and 160 Hz I checked the die temp from service menu and it was 93 C, when ambient is 26 C. This is probably going too high and I should refrain from using it until the replacement fan arrives. I even left out the casing around the G-Sync heatsink, to allow better airflow, but it seems passive operation might not be viable.

Last edited:
Associate
According to this white paper all Noctua PWM fans (and as so I asume all standard PC fans) runs on 5V PWM signal, regardles of their nominal use voltage:

This in turn could mean that you could use an external 12VDC power source with any (silm enough) 12V PWM fan and use the display's 5V fan connector's PWM pin to control it.

This gets me intrugued about the idea of using NF-A12x15... I might confirm this with Noctua first, before trying out in practise. I do have a couple of unused NF-A12x15 on the shelf.

edit: For briefly I was under the impression NF-A12x15 PWM was Noctua's only slim model. There are few others, but none 5V models, if you don't count the NF-A4x10. I'm glad I was mistaken. NF-A9x14 PWM is a much better candidate. That way you wouldn't have to cut the fins on the heatsink almost at all. If indeed you can control 12 V PWM Noctua from that 5V fan-out PWM pin, I can already say with a fair amount of certainty this project will be successful.

Last edited:
Associate
Here is the exact fan the monitor uses:

Somebody replaced theirs with a GPU fan, they've included a link with pics

That's interesting. I think I stumbled upon that thread earlier. Looks like he's running a 12V DC fan on a 5V PWM connector. I'm surprised the fan even spins up. It must spin at the edge of its lowest RPM limit, likely around 250-400 RPM. edit: But what's noteworthy is that there's no speed control, which results in those high temps, in addition to the fact that the fan runs on a voltage that barely enables it to spin. Also with no PWM control that fan might run all the time, regardless if the monitor is on or off. Enabling deep sleep setting in the OSD might affect this, I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Associate
That's interesting. I think I stumbled upon that thread earlier. Looks like he's running a 12V DC fan on a 5V PWM connector. I'm surprised the fan even spins up. It must spin at the edge of its lowest RPM limit, likely around 250-400 RPM. edit: But what's noteworthy is that there's no speed control, which results in those high temps, in addition to the fact that the fan runs on a voltage that barely enables it to spin. Also with no PWM control that fan might run all the time, regardless if the monitor is on or off. Enabling deep sleep setting in the OSD might affect this, I'm not sure.
I was also wondering about voltage differences and speed control issues.

Associate
Has anyone looked into having their 38GL firmware updated by an LG repair center since it seems LG (NVidia?) has prevented end-users from updating? Is there anything to be gained by an update?

Back
Top Bottom