LG 38GN950-B

Soldato
sorry for my english, I made a comparison for a few weeks alongside gsync and gsync compatible monitors, to be exact LG34GK950G (gsync), LG34GK950F (gsync compatible), LG34GN850 (gsync compatible nvidia certified).

No difference as regards the quality of work of the vrr (tested with bf5, bf4, cod warzone, Rdr2, gta5, subtr, etc. etc.).
On paper (therefore in a purely theoretical line), the classic gsync with module, having adaptive overdrive, should help maintain low ghosting and a clean image in cases where large framerate oscillations occur, but, I do not have large oscillations of framerates on my pc, I could not appreciate any difference even in this area.

In my opinion, the choice between gsync and gsync compatible offers no difference, you choose based on the price.
Specifically, if you want 160hz on a widescreen, there are 2 panels that I recommend today:
LG34GN850
LG38GN950

The LG38GL950 model with fan-cooled gsync module no longer makes sense to exist or to be purchased, it offers nothing more in the real world, only the fan noise that could annoy you, I think LG will no longer make this panel, it will only make monitors gsync compatible nvidia certificates

What about lower frequency response, like say 30-60Hz for those times when you may want to use the panel for emulator purposes? Gsync modules work throughout the whole range, whereas gsync compatible typically falls off below 44, no?

Although, to be fair it is a niche case and I'm more concerned about input lag and response time variance at that point.

Did you make a detailed writeup of this anywhere, btw? Seems quite the extensive testing.

Associate
What about lower frequency response, like say 30-60Hz for those times when you may want to use the panel for emulator purposes? Gsync modules work throughout the whole range, whereas gsync compatible typically falls off below 44, no?

Although, to be fair it is a niche case and I'm more concerned about input lag and response time variance at that point.

Did you make a detailed writeup of this anywhere, btw? Seems quite the extensive testing.
Yes, gsync module gives you coverage from 0 up to the maximum limit of the panel fq, compatible gsync starts from 48>, I have not mentioned this because I am not used to falling below 100fps, 70/80 in the worst situations, but if for you it is an important point to have coverage between 0-48, then it is mandatory to go to gsync with module.

response time and input lag, out of marketing, is not really a problem even for those who play in competitive fps.
My 34GN850 has a response time of 3.5 ms (with overdrive on FAST), like the big brother gsync 38GL, the same for input lag that goes around 2 / 2.5 ms(we are very close to the performance of the best TN panel).
I suppose the new big 38GN950 has the same performance.

If you need coverage below (0-48) the 34GK950G (120hz) has excellent price-performance ratio, but it is a discontinued model and the response time is a little bit hight, around 7 ms, input lag is better, around 3ms.

if it does not concern 0-48 frame coverage and if you look at HDR as a useless thing in game, the 34gn850 is, in my opinion, the best gaming monitor at the moment. The same I assume will be for 38GN, but the price goes up, the resolution too, and I don't know if all this is worth it for 3.5 inches more.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for that.

Yeah, I don't particularly care too much about HDR at all. I hate wide gamut as Windows can't colour manage applications properly (seriously, if an app doesn't report that it is colour managed, force it to identify as sRGB and do the colourspace conversion within the OS, and avoid all this neon colour crap) and so will be using the clamped sRGB modes on these panels. Hopefully the 38WN/38GN is calibrated well enough, but reviews will tell when they finally arrive.

Yeah, fair enough. Absolutely smoothness probably won't be that big of a deal when emulating old 30/60hz games anyway, as we dealt with it just fine on the actual hardware back in the day. I would be concerned about input lag though as for example, I recall the 34GK950f has excellent input lag at 144hz, but quite bad lag at 60hz. Hope the new generation has corrected that.

For me, I am looking at the 38GN/38WN. Sure, the price goes up, but the extra vertical height is (imo) worth it.

Associate
Thanks for that.

Yeah, I don't particularly care too much about HDR at all. I hate wide gamut as Windows can't colour manage applications properly (seriously, if an app doesn't report that it is colour managed, force it to identify as sRGB and do the colourspace conversion within the OS, and avoid all this neon colour crap) and so will be using the clamped sRGB modes on these panels. Hopefully the 38WN/38GN is calibrated well enough, but reviews will tell when they finally arrive.

Yeah, fair enough. Absolutely smoothness probably won't be that big of a deal when emulating old 30/60hz games anyway, as we dealt with it just fine on the actual hardware back in the day. I would be concerned about input lag though as for example, I recall the 34GK950f has excellent input lag at 144hz, but quite bad lag at 60hz. Hope the new generation has corrected that.

For me, I am looking at the 38GN/38WN. Sure, the price goes up, but the extra vertical height is (imo) worth it.

I'm considering whether to switch from my 34gn to 38gn, I don't know. The only upgrade between one and the other would be the 3.5 inches, bigger is more beautiful, surely, but there is a bit of loss of frames due to the higher resolution, I don't know how much it is worth it, not I have never seen a 38 live, if I can get one on trial it would be better.

Associate
Hmm. Interesting that the difference between the GL and GN price wise is now 200 pounds.
GN seems to be brighter and have more contrast than GL, they have the same fq at 160hz (the 175hz of the GL do not consider them however they are not really usable if you want to maintain an acceptable image quality).
Sphere lighting in both.
If the 38GN will have values similar to the 34GN, it will mean that it will have a response time and an input lag almost identical to the GL.

Equal price.

The only difference really seems to be gsync module in GL and gsync compatible (nvidia certified) in GN.
GL will go out of production, GN is the new predecessor, the most recent panel, LG seems to be following compatible gsync line and abandoning gsync modules.

Without any doubt if today I decided to buy a 38-inch, considering the lottery of the fans inside the GL gsync module and the relative problems that various users complain around the web, I would go 100% on the GN, but without even thinking about a second.

Associate
No difference I have seen.

Thanks for your thoughts and comparison of the Gsync and Freesync LG models.

Having had a (faulty) GL model which I have now sent back, I think the GN or WN models might be the way to go, especially if the VRR performance is basically on par.

Associate
Cheers. So I should probably then wait for the GN version... but... hmm.
The price is more or less the same, if you feel more comfortable with the gsync module take the GL, it is an excellent monitor, but it will not give you anything more than GN in real use ( GN should have a little more brightness and contrast).
I made side by side comparisons between gsync and gsync compatible (nvidia certified), there is no difference, if I had put any player in front of the 2 screens no one would have been able to understand which of the 2 was gsync or gsync compatible, but if it makes you feel more comfortable whit gsync module, take GL, they are both excellent.
The only 2 things that make me decide towards GN are that GL has a fan, and many users have been annoyed by its noise, also it is a monitor that will soon end out of production.
If the commercial aspect does not interest you and you're willing to accept any fan noise, GL is a great screen.

Soldato
Thanks very much Slide.

It would be great if somehow we could see the comparison of both panels at the 70+ FPS range....

I mean if the GN has a better bright/contrast panel.
Has similar refresh rate and no Gsync module fan.... why would someone go with the GL version...

Associate
Thanks very much Slide.

It would be great if somehow we could see the comparison of both panels at the 70+ FPS range....

I mean if the GN has a better bright/contrast panel.
Has similar refresh rate and no Gsync module fan.... why would someone go with the GL version...
I have nvidia gpu, I waiting for 38GN to be available on amazon, GL is currently available and at the same price, but really not intention of investing in GL.
38GN arriving in stores these days, the GL has been on the market for some time, I really doubt that today there can be any buyer who chooses GL over GN, it doesn't really make much sense.

if you think you have to work on framerates under 60, then GL could make sense, this is the only scenario in which I make understandable the purchase of GL today.....but.....at this point I think there would be another problem to solve:
if you have to buy 38 3840x1600 to go around 60 fps, then I see more sense towards 34 3440x1440.

Last edited:
Soldato
Vignetting - basically the top and bottom of the screen edges are slightly darker than the middle.
Its more noticeable on brighter backgrounds like white backgrounds.
Its quite annoying I have to say and one of the reasons I returned by GL some weeks ago.

Soldato
Vignetting - basically the top and bottom of the screen edges are slightly darker than the middle.
Its more noticeable on brighter backgrounds like white backgrounds.
Its quite annoying I have to say and one of the reasons I returned by GL some weeks ago.
It's more so all edges than just top and bottom. The aspect ratio will just exaggerate it so that it looks like the top and bottom.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom