LG 38GN950-B

Associate
Vignetting - basically the top and bottom of the screen edges are slightly darker than the middle.
Its more noticeable on brighter backgrounds like white backgrounds.
Its quite annoying I have to say and one of the reasons I returned by GL some weeks ago.
ok, i think it is something reference to uniformity.

I think this is panel lottery, my 34GN has perfect uniformity, but a friend of mine also has a 34GN and his model has uniformity problems, so really, a bit like backlight bleeding or ips glow, it's luck, I don't think a model or another can rule out this problem, it's a lottery.

As already mentioned, in real use, I believe that if you want to reach 38 inches, GL and GN are excellent products, even if there are no 38GN reviews yet, I think it will be very similar to 34GN.

The only real doubts I have about 38GL are the low contrast (38GN has a higher contrast) and the fan noise, but I really don't see anything else to criticize.

The bad uniformity of the panel can occur on any model, difficult to predict.

I don't justify the price differences, the price of 38 is double compared to 34, but if you want a bigger screen you can't do much, just pay for this.

GN or GL?

both will be fantastic, similar performance on response time and input delay, better GN for more contrast, better GL for adaptive overdrive thanks to the gsync module, but this difference in real use will not be really visible for me.

fan noise in GL?

we're still in the lottery, luck.

too much money to try your luck but in the end it is so.

the winner is?

i don't know ..... lol

perhaps for a commercial speech GN is better because it is newer panel, it has higher contrast and has no doubts about fan noise.

the question is:

what better GL?

Only gsync module, but...... I have not seen differences in real gaming use between gsync module and gsync compatible.

I repeat, adaptive overdrive can be useful if you can't maintain a stable framerate, but I haven't had this problem in my tests and can't say anything more.

Soldato
ok, i think it is something reference to uniformity.

I think this is panel lottery, my 34GN has perfect uniformity, but a friend of mine also has a 34GN and his model has uniformity problems, so really, a bit like backlight bleeding or ips glow, it's luck, I don't think a model or another can rule out this problem, it's a lottery.

As already mentioned, in real use, I believe that if you want to reach 38 inches, GL and GN are excellent products, even if there are no 38GN reviews yet, I think it will be very similar to 34GN.

The only real doubts I have about 38GL are the low contrast (38GN has a higher contrast) and the fan noise, but I really don't see anything else to criticize.

The bad uniformity of the panel can occur on any model, difficult to predict.

I don't justify the price differences, the price of 38 is double compared to 34, but if you want a bigger screen you can't do much, just pay for this.

GN or GL?

both will be fantastic, similar performance on response time and input delay, better GN for more contrast, better GL for adaptive overdrive thanks to the gsync module, but this difference in real use will not be really visible for me.

fan noise in GL?

we're still in the lottery, luck.

too much money to try your luck but in the end it is so.

the winner is?

i don't know ..... lol

perhaps for a commercial speech GN is better because it is newer panel, it has higher contrast and has no doubts about fan noise.

the question is:

what better GL?

Only gsync module, but...... I have not seen differences in real gaming use between gsync module and gsync compatible.

I repeat, adaptive overdrive can be useful if you can't maintain a stable framerate, but I haven't had this problem in my tests and can't say anything more.

Additional question: is the curve radius the same on the 38GN to the 38GL? LG marketing says the GL is 2300 curve radius which is great, but they don't list the curve radius specs at all for either of the 38 models!

Additional additional question: Due to the 24:10 aspect ratio of the 38GN instead of the 21:9 on the 34GN, does it affect black bars?
For example, on 16:9 content on a 34GN you will just get the black bars at the side. On the 38GN, does 16:9 content fill the top and bottom like on the 34GN or will you have additional black bars there too?

Last edited:
Associate
Additional question: is the curve radius the same on the 38GN to the 38GL? LG marketing says the GL is 2300 curve radius which is great, but they don't list the curve radius specs at all for either of the 38 models!

Additional additional question: Due to the 24:10 aspect ratio of the 38GN instead of the 21:9 on the 34GN, does it affect black bars?
For example, on 16:9 content on a 34GN you will just get the black bars at the side. On the 38GN, does 16:9 content fill the top and bottom like on the 34GN or will you have additional black bars there too?

I can not find radius info, I assume it will be the same for GL /GN,
I really think that the black bars will only be on the sides, not above and below,

but here the problem is always the same, i have read now the opinions of a boy who owns 38GL950, unfortunately confirms the problems I had already seen, says this:

"After 3 months if usuage I simply can not recommend this product. Fan noise (2 of them), flickering and vertical scanning lines are frustrating and annoying to the point that I regret buying it. I love the colours and experience I get by playing on it but simply no. If it would come with passive cooling it would be flawless experience.
Vertical Scan lines & Screen Flicker appears when Gsync Module is Cold (up to 1 hour depend on application you use), visible in app like Photoshop, Premiere Pro, Filmora, reWASD. There is solution for this. Disable DEEP SLEEP in monitor options. The downside is that the gsync fan will never stop spinning and its audible. - Fan Noise is getting louder the more months go by to the point is annoying. Also there is second fan that makes different noise."

My decision:
this fan must be a nightmare, I have definitely closed the idea of buying this monitor, if I make the transition from my 34GN to 38, I will go to 38GN, surely. I don't want fans ... lol

Soldato
Vertical scan lines? Lmao **** that.

And ah, I thought you already had a 38" panel that you could test 16:9 content for me. I've never had a clear cut answer on this question!

Edit: So it turns out I discovered LFC was a thing (I have literally never used a high hz freesync panel) and the 38GN has it. In short, if I understand correctly, this means that when it drops below 48Hz it will simply double/triple frames to get back into sync range, effectively meaning Freesync is always activated no matter your fps.

That seems fantastic, as one thing I had worried about was 30Hz content (emulation, not really consoles). If the panel will just frame double that to 60 then I should have no issues, right? Finding out how high hz monitors will work with emulators is such a pain.

Last edited:
Associate
at the moment I have 34GN, I am thinking about whether to go to 38.

I don't know lfc, but what I can tell you is that a couple of times in RDR2 I happened to go down to 40 fps with all the settings on ultra, I didn't see any stutter

Associate
I've been trying to decide between 38GN950 or smaller 34GN850. I can get the 34" one for €435 less which is a nice saving. I guess for productivity the higher resolution will be better but I also do a bit of gaming including Call of duty Modern warfare and am a little concerned if the 38" would be a bit much to manage trying to keep the entire screen in my view. Has anyone jumped from 34" to 38" and how do you feel about it?

Associate
I've been trying to decide between 38GN950 or smaller 34GN850. I can get the 34" one for €435 less which is a nice saving. I guess for productivity the higher resolution will be better but I also do a bit of gaming including Call of duty Modern warfare and am a little concerned if the 38" would be a bit much to manage trying to keep the entire screen in my view. Has anyone jumped from 34" to 38" and how do you feel about it?
I'm probably about to jump, but I haven't done it yet so at the moment I can't tell you if these 3.5 inches more are worth it.
On warzone, with all the settings on ultra and rtx on, on my 34GN lap on stable 130 / 140fps, 170/190fps whitout rtx and medium setting.
I assume that with 38 inches about 25fps are lost.

Soldato
One thing I'm concerned about is in rtings review of the 34GN850, while the contrast was improved from the last gen, it seems the horizontal viewing angles suffered significantly. They're pretty horrendous for an IPS. (It's like they traded the poorer vertical angles of the last gen 34GK950F for worse horizontal angles this gen. A poor trade IMO).

The 38GN will of course be a different panel, but I am concerned... just annoying that I'll have to pre order if I want the good price before we'll see any decent reviews of this panel at all (since nobody is reviewing the 38WN is seems).

Associate
One thing I'm concerned about is in rtings review of the 34GN850, while the contrast was improved from the last gen, it seems the horizontal viewing angles suffered significantly. They're pretty horrendous for an IPS. (It's like they traded the poorer vertical angles of the last gen 34GK950F for worse horizontal angles this gen. A poor trade IMO).

The 38GN will of course be a different panel, but I am concerned... just annoying that I'll have to pre order if I want the good price before we'll see any decent reviews of this panel at all (since nobody is reviewing the 38WN is seems).
my 34GN doesn't have this problem,unfortunately it must be accepted that there may be differences between one panel and another, even if 2 identical models are compared. The reviews analyze a panel and write what they see, but it is not absolutely certain that if they try another panel of the same model they see the same things,it is the same as with backlight bleeding.

this is the current situation of the monitors, a bit of a lottery, but this happens with all the brands

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks Skejmel, and congrats! I assume you purchased it from a Dutch retailer of some kind ?
The front facing view looks really nice, but the side one looks a little darker. I guess the viewing angle....

Any fan noises from the monitor? :D

Associate
OP
that's just a custom shutter speed on my phone camera a higher one trying to capture the HDR the screen is 100% there.

tomorrow i will make a quick review video anything you wanna see in there i will do frog motion blur test. :D

And no FAN in this monitor CONFIRMED ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Awesome, thank you! Some questions!

If you could check into the Vignetting this would be great. Especialyl at the top and bottom of the edges of the screen if they appear darker or not.
You are not using sphere 2.0 function?
Also one question about the iracing clip... it seems so fluid and nice (as if there is motion blur?) is there anything special done ?
How are you achieving 154fps by the way? What settings are you using?
What GFX card?
And why 154 fps limiter? I guess you set it a few FPS below 160 right?

(I assume you got it from a Dutch retailer yes?)

Associate
OP
Awesome, thank you! Some questions!

If you could check into the Vignetting this would be great. Especialyl at the top and bottom of the edges of the screen if they appear darker or not.
You are not using sphere 2.0 function?
Also one question about the iracing clip... it seems so fluid and nice (as if there is motion blur?) is there anything special done ?
How are you achieving 154fps by the way? What settings are you using?
What GFX card?
And why 154 fps limiter? I guess you set it a few FPS below 160 right?
yes bought it from a dutch retailer.

(I assume you got it from a Dutch retailer yes?)

thats just filmed with a phone cam. its not going to get better there is not enough light so the recording makes it look way more ghosted than things are.
i didn't really notice or see a vignette before but i tested it and really looked for it. there is a very slight vignette on the lowest brightness's settings side.
i havnt set a fixed frame rate in those games yet. its the nvidia low latency setting on ultra doing that. i still have to set a fixed rate in those games.
so far i used this so i don't have to set a rate for all the games i play low latency does a decent job if you dont set anything i know its now the most optimal but ill start doing that probably set it on 158 ;)
Graphics card is a EVGA 2080 XC ULTRA

i made a quick an dirty review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5RoxeY1qIA

1000FPS lag comparison https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WWMLisaQS4
1000FPS Frog test comparison https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HfWJ5hsBzY

Last edited:
Soldato
Informative review bud, thank you! Also thanks for the lag test... i seems the 38GN950 definitely performs very well!

Would you mind trying to take a picture of the screen against a white background set to high level to make out the vignetting?

Back
Top Bottom