LG 42-inch OLED

Associate
OP
GPU upgrade has been on hold untill I don't really care any longer about. I mean, games these days tends to be crap at release days like full of bugs etc etc. And of course...the insane prices.
I'll stick to my 'ancient' 1080Ti. 48" is the max I can get as a PC monitor too. 42" will be the better one indeed.

Associate
OP
I think the 48 is a nice size just 4k is not enough pixels for that size, I use a 43 now and the pixels are as big as I would want, 42 would be good, though I look at this and Samsungs QD OLED which if reports are correct should fix the main failing of the LG OLED and that is the dimming on bright scenes, that does irk me, 95% of the time my C9 is awesome but when that mostly white screen comes on, wow, utter rubbish.
48" 4K is like 24" 1080p. Although the pixels are more sharper on OLED, I like high ppi, one of the reasons why I'm waiting for the 42".

And white screen, you mean the pinkish areas?

Associate
OP
No the auto dimming that happens because OLED can't do a high level of brightness when it has to light up a high percentage of the screen, it has a brightness limiter to protect the screen.
ABL is very annoying as hell and it's noticable too. On my "old" LG A7, Dynamic Contrast kicks in and I already have the OLED light at 37 or so.
It looks like I have to wait a bit longer for the 42" to see how ABL will behave.

Associate
OP
I know what he means, in pixel size, 48" 4k and 24" 1080p are ~91ppi and so the same, well apart from one is equivalent to 4x of those 1080p.

My preference is 110-120ppi, the 32inch 4ks 137ppi is too high for me on monitors to use comfortably all day when I can't control the scale on some of my design applications, I notice it when using my laptop, get a little tired etc and it becomes an issue, though that is 157ppi.

48" @ 4k is just a little to big, I'd be using it for more than just games and media, my old 40" was great, my current 43" acceptable, probably old failing eyes don't help me.
I once had a 4K 22" monitor and it was not really comfortable indeed. 102ppi is my minimum, which is my 22" 1080p.

Associate
OP
For living rooms, I would like a big OLE tv, 77" or 83". Our own living room can have up to 65" but it was my first OLED tv and had a budget so it was the 55" and it's the perfect size.
My parents their own living room is bigger and can easily have 83" but it'd be a waste.

It's good to see LG is now making 42". I'm wondering if LG will produce 32C3 next year doubt it. The more sizes, the better.

Associate
OP
I don't think anything was said in the rumours, perhaps their own LG panels cut from the same mother glass units from the larger OLED screens like 83".
They weren't talking about the current OLED monitors which are JOLED? I'd welcome the 32C3 tbh if LG's OLED because they look much better than JOLED. JOLED are absurdly expensive it won't get any better and it's been since the first announcement from 2018. We'll see if 32C3 will actually happen next year. For now, 42".

Associate
OP
Just came across this website during search to new news:
https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/lg-c2-oled-tv-line-up-for-2022-including-the-42-sized-oled42c2

The rear of the 42C2 is actually interesting and also much more convenient too for cables and such. And this makes VESA stand probably even more better. But this type of leg stands, I mean how they are designed is different from the leg stand of my parents their tv. Quite interesting.

lg_oled42c2_2.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Nice spotting, 42" OLED has Evo mentioned in its specs. The lower end panels A2 and B2 don't mention Evo panels and have the slower cpu.

I like how LG designers put all the hdmi ports on the side, much more easier then trying to fumble around from the back or underneath looking at sony
designers here. The 42" is pretty much exact same size as my 43" LED TV so should be a direct swap size wise for me which is perfect.
Yeah, this design comes totally unexpected to me and I was worried about the back too, also because of the VESA holes. The 48" for example has inconvenient VESA position and the 42" has them like any LCD TV has which is a good thing. And indeed, look at the back of the 42C2, OLED tvs are supposed to be very thin but this one is fat so it should have a heatsink. But I'm not surprised because the C1 stays the most popular.

Yesterday I measured and it seems the 42" is much better than 48".

Appreciate the links, I'm sure they'll eventually confirm the specs - I just get the impression that Evo and OLED.EX are 2 different things and not meant to be interchanged - not 100% sure if the 42"/48" have both.

ps3ud0 :cool:
I'm pretty sure too. The OLED EX is supposed to be 30% brighter and I don't think that's a good thing to use as a monitor. Anyway, even "low-end" OLED is miles better than any LED LCD.

Associate
OP
Philips is very underrated imo for TVs, I found them very reliable and actually still have a 20 year old LCD in the shed, still works fine. I believe their 48" 2021 Oled was the first to use full bandwidth hdmi 2.1 ports, there tech is also excellent software wise. But not sure how good their firmware support is, but they make lovely TVs overall. I like Panasonic also.

The only bug bear I have with both Philips and Panasonic is they arrive 6-10 months after LG and Sony release their latest TVs, so its almost a pickle buying Philips or Panansonic since you start hearing about LG and Sonys release shortly afterwards, they need to reset their release schedule!

I am hoping my guesstimate of £800-1K for the 42" is spot on but will see, hopefully not something stupid like 1.5k
I like the Panasic too but they are way too expensive. The 48" is already €1799 here and the 48C1 is sometimes between €1199 up to €1299. So yeah, choice is made.
And they're also very unpopular too so finding constructive reviews is hard or near zero. Not much infos about the inputlags, image retentions, display presets and which resolutions are natively supported. LG for example supports 1440p natively and they design might be boring but they're slick. Sony 48" got the best design that I really like but the inputlags are higher than the C1. And of course, more expensive too...

And yes, totally agree on 6-10 months later. Not gonna be bothered with that.

Associate
OP
So my LG A7 have been used by my little brother to use his Switch for the first time and I'm blown away by the magnificent picture!
Another reason to wait for 42C2 despites I already got two alternatives but LCD backlight bleeds....

Associate
OP
I've had 2 Sony OLEDs now and hammered the PlayStation on them and not had any issues to be fair. It's the thought of taskbars being on for hours on end that worries me. Will let a few guinea pigs try them out first :D
For taskbars, I already got a portable monitor for that. It's a tablet+monitor in one, 13". Any portable will do just fine for light tasks like browsing, text writing and so on. When I want to game or watch netflix, I'll just switch to the tv.

Associate
OP
Going to be spending a long time in Figma with common bits of the UI displayed a lot. If my wife wouldn't disembowel me I'd consider the Apple XDR :D
Apple XDR! Totally forgot about that display but the price is simply putting off big time. There is one with glossy display and the other matte? The price difference tho... They make 42C2 damn cheap and low-budget lol

Associate
OP
For now it's way too early and today we just started 1st of the month February. I don't know how much the 48C1 was priced at launch but maybe they keep the launch price of C1. We'll have to wait till March/April to see the actual prices of the 42".

Associate
OP
The 42" is clearly immensely popular. I wanted the 48" too but since I never got a big screen on my desk, I'll wait for the 42" because of the distance.
I don't fear for burn-ins because I already will be taking measurements. It's already 8th February, time really flies fast by!

Associate
OP
For 3000€ I'd be looking for something else and still have a lot of money left. So yeah, only the early-adopters and the rich will pay for that price.
Sony has their Playstation department and still have no gaming focused features, which is a stupid logic. And exactly as mentioned: all HDMI should be 2.1.

Back
Top Bottom