lg 55oled b9

Associate
hi all, just wandering if anyone has tried the lg 55" b9 as a monitor as it says it can do 120hz with hdr, surely this would be a better option that any of the more expensive monitors coming out at the moment.

Soldato
It won't achieve 120Hz via PC though as that's not possible with HDMI 2.0... only HDMI 2.1 (which no GPU has yet), or DP 1.4, which no TV has.

Soldato
It won't achieve 120Hz via PC though as that's not possible with HDMI 2.0... only HDMI 2.1 (which no GPU has yet), or DP 1.4, which no TV has.

Couldn't it do 1080p/144hz?

Either way though, the TV situation in regards to HDMI 2.1 just makes it a really dodgey purchase if its primarily for PC gaming due to the HDMI port situation. At least on PC, we know we can just display port.

Soldato
The question is, do you want 1080p/1440p at 55"? I guess depends how far you're sat from it, but anything desktop based would not be ideal. Plus, you have to consider motion and lag, which is definitely going to be worse, even though IQ obviously wins out with OLED. All depends what your priorities are at the end of the day.

Associate
OP
cheers for the answers, just thought it would be a good option rather than a big gaming display thats gonna cost over 3 grand.

Caporegime
The question is, do you want 1080p/1440p at 55"? I guess depends how far you're sat from it, but anything desktop based would not be ideal. Plus, you have to consider motion and lag, which is definitely going to be worse, even though IQ obviously wins out with OLED. All depends what your priorities are at the end of the day.

If sat at the recommend viewing distance of 7+ feet, it is very hard to see the difference with games imo, desktop looks fine too, although obviously the pixels are more noticeable with text and so on.

Motion wise, I find OLED superior to any LCD based screen even when it is in 60HZ mode, it's hard to describe but with OLED, there is no ghosting/trailing/smearing whatsoever, after all it's pixel response time is something silly like 0.000001ms.

Motion wise, can't say I notice a huge difference, obviously 120HZ feels better than 60HZ but not like "OMG this is way better", could be cause I have all the TV processing effects turned off though....

cheers for the answers, just thought it would be a good option rather than a big gaming display thats gonna cost over 3 grand.

Know exactly where you are coming from, was one of the main reasons I got my E7 instead of a monitor, just makes no sense to spend 1+k on a monitor when I could get a far superior display in the majority of ways for the same price or in my case, cheaper.

I would like an adaptive sync display for my PC and any fast paced FPS games but once again, silly prices for what are inferior products on the whole really.

Soldato
If sat at the recommend viewing distance of 7+ feet, it is very hard to see the difference with games imo, desktop looks fine too, although obviously the pixels are more noticeable with text and so on.

That is surely the biggest issue though... 7ft is hardly do-able in the majority of desktop PC scenarios. For lounge gaming sure, OLED would be my preference, but not day to day at this size. Even LG's 48" OLED due next year doesn't really help much in this regard.

Caporegime
That is surely the biggest issue though... 7ft is hardly do-able in the majority of desktop PC scenarios. For lounge gaming sure, OLED would be my preference, but not day to day at this size. Even LG's 48" OLED due next year doesn't really help much in this regard.

Yup which is why I don't use it as a desktop pc monitor. TV is mounted on wall for all media etc. and then normal monitor/desk for pc desktop usage.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It can definitely do 120HZ @ 1080P, maybe 1440P, not 100% sure about the b9 model.
B9 has it also. Main difference is it has a 2018 class processor vs the new 2019 one. But this makes very little difference overall. C9 would be ideal, but if I can get a B9 say £200 cheaper, I would.

Definitely too big as a monitor, certainly for me and my desk anyway. But perfect for lounge tv which is what I will be getting mine for hopefully come Black Friday. Will be all ready for a PS5 then :D

Glad I waited for HDMI 2.1 ;)

Soldato
Glad I waited for HDMI 2.1 ;)

Why? I'd have thought the number of games you'll ever see running at 4K 120Hz on PS5 will be counted on one hand, you certainly won't see the likes of God Of War, Spiderman and the other AAA releases at those framerates, not a chance, those releases will always prioritise graphical fidelity over framerate.

Caporegime
I'm glad I didn't wait! :p

2 years of pure bliss gaming (spiderman, rdr 2, days gone, uncharted, TLOU, HZD etc. etc.) and TV/film content!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Why? I'd have thought the number of games you'll ever see running at 4K 120Hz on PS5 will be counted on one hand, you certainly won't see the likes of God Of War, Spiderman and the other AAA releases at those framerates, not a chance, those releases will always prioritise graphical fidelity over framerate.

It’s not all about the 120hz. It’s about VRR. I am sure there will be benefits to having that. Also my next PC I may even go mini itx and bring that downstairs sometimes :)

I'm glad I didn't wait! :p

2 years of pure bliss gaming (spiderman, rdr 2, days gone, uncharted, TLOU, HZD etc. etc.) and TV/film content!

I have had 4K bliss for 5 years now, granted not OLED, but my 1080p Plasma has been so good that I have managed to get away with not upgrading (kind of like my 4770K CPU). But obviously there is no right choice here, just personal circumstances. For me it has made more sense to wait. I will be keeping the tv for a very long time (though it may get relegated to the bed room at some point), probably will even play a PS6 on it :D

Last edited:
Soldato
It’s not all about the 120hz. It’s about VRR. I am sure there will be benefits to having that. Also my next PC I may even go mini itx and bring that downstairs sometimes :)

..ok, but I wouldn't touch an OLED screen if your going to use it for PC & console gaming, not with the 'burn in' issues they suffer from.

Caporegime
4k and plasma is nothing compared to OLED and HDR ;)

My panny plasma was good but oled in a whole other league.

I am one to always wait as well and granted I probably would still have been waiting if it weren't for the good deal on the e7 I got but after having seen it in action in my own environment with the games etc. I play, I would have happily paid a lot more.

My advice is don't wait around forever otherwise you are just missing out on all the goodness that will come from current tech. now and if you see a good deal on current tvs then go for it.

..ok, but I wouldn't touch an OLED screen if your going to use it for PC & console gaming, not with the 'burn in' issues they suffer from.

2+ years with mine and heavy HDR console/pc gaming and no sign at all, not even, temporary image retention, overblown issue imo.

Soldato

I am one to always wait as well and granted I probably would still have been waiting if it weren't for the good deal on the e7 I got but after having seen it in action in my own environment with the games etc. I play, I would have happily paid a lot more.

My advice is don't wait around forever otherwise you are just missing out on all the goodness that will come from current tech. now and if you see a good deal on current tvs then go for it.

2+ years with mine and heavy HDR console/pc gaming and no sign at all, not even, temporary image retention, overblown issue imo.

I have seen plenty of people suffer with this though... maybe they're in the minority, maybe not, impossible to know for the most part. Overblown issue perhaps, but it's definitely not a myth anyway. I've seen examples of image retention after just a few hours of use, and while that may not be permanent, it certainly would be annoying if you then went on to another task and still saw that retained image (even if it did go away eventually).

Soldato
Does ANYONE in the uk cover burn in within the warranty? I know in the US a few retailers off it in their warrnaty. If someone did, I'd definitley get one.
As it stands, I'm not sure if the QLED's arent a safer option.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I have used my Plasma for over 4 years connected to my PC for media, browsing and gaming, worst that ever happened was temporary image retention that goes away in minutes of watching a tv show. My understanding is OLED deals with burn in much better, so highly doubt anything would go wrong.

That warning is only for people that do crazy hours of gaming or leaving it on the desktop for the static images to burn in. That is just silly though and has not been an issue for me as the TV is used for watching tv shows and movies.

Had my nephew over last weekend and he played on the switch for hours nonstop, no issues what so ever.

Oh agree, my mate has one and seen it in stores and they are awesome. Even my partner that does not know much about this stuff she could easily identify an OLED in a store we was in a few months back. That’s why I don’t get why people go for QLED, as OLED is just on another level imo.

Definitely not waiting much longer. The way I see it is the money I will save waiting for Black Friday sales will pay for most if not all of a PS5. Not in a huge rush. Could even easily wait for 2020 line up to come out for further discounts on the 2019 line up, though I feel Black Friday will be the sweet spot hopefully.

I have seen plenty of people suffer with this though... maybe they're in the minority, maybe not, impossible to know for the most part. Overblown issue perhaps, but it's definitely not a myth anyway. I've seen examples of image retention after just a few hours of use, and while that may not be permanent, it certainly would be annoying if you then went on to another task and still saw that retained image (even if it did go away eventually).

I read that panel quality/lottery could play a role in this? I am not bothered about image retention if it is no worse than my Plasma. Honestly I have got to a point now that I don’t even see it or let it bother me as it goes away so quickly. My main issue with Plasma is how much energy it uses and how hot it gets.

Caporegime

Yup, could be a panel lottery!

Generally the only ones I ever see say about burn in are the ones who use a silly high oled light setting for SDR content and watch non stop sky sports or something like that. That and could be something like people turning their TV off by the wall and not allowing LGs voltage reset/panel refresh etc. to run when the TV is in standby mode.

Soldato
I read that panel quality/lottery could play a role in this? I am not bothered about image retention if it is no worse than my Plasma. Honestly I have got to a point now that I don’t even see it or let it bother me as it goes away so quickly. My main issue with Plasma is how much energy it uses and how hot it gets.

Yes, it must do... I've seen far too many mixed reports of people like yourself who've used OLED for years without issue, and others who've had burn-in after just a few months. It definitely HAS to be down to specific panel characteristics and old fashioned luck!

Back
Top Bottom