LG c9 OLED

Associate
When is a good time to invest in an LG TV? Does it make sense to buy when models first come out, or do prices on older drop substantially before new models? Do you think HDR10+ is a must have standard to future proof? I think only Panasonic supports both Dolby Vision and HDR10+.

Soldato
When is a good time to invest in an LG TV? Does it make sense to buy when models first come out, or do prices on older drop substantially before new models? Do you think HDR10+ is a must have standard to future proof? I think only Panasonic supports both Dolby Vision and HDR10+.

When new models come out and or black Friday from what I have seen. For example around now and Black Friday, 65 C9 could be had for around £1800-£2000 mark or so. At same places the CX would be nearly £500-£800 more.

I do not think HDR10+ is an absolute need IMO but there is of course content that supports it but even on likes of Amazon we are seeing some content coming with DV. If the content you watch a lot happens to be on HDR10+ then maby consider it more. I would get the Panasonic if you want the better TV for movies and TV at a price. IMO Sony's and Panasonic OLED's are more impressive for TV and Movies (and this is as someone with an LG), but the LG does have them pinned down on gaming side (VRR/ 120hz / HDMI 2.1 etc) and in terms of money for what you get.

Just my two cents.

Associate
When new models come out and or black Friday from what I have seen. For example around now and Black Friday, 65 C9 could be had for around £1800-£2000 mark or so. At same places the CX would be nearly £500-£800 more.

I do not think HDR10+ is an absolute need IMO but there is of course content that supports it but even on likes of Amazon we are seeing some content coming with DV. If the content you watch a lot happens to be on HDR10+ then maby consider it more. I would get the Panasonic if you want the better TV for movies and TV at a price. IMO Sony's and Panasonic OLED's are more impressive for TV and Movies (and this is as someone with an LG), but the LG does have them pinned down on gaming side (VRR/ 120hz / HDMI 2.1 etc) and in terms of money for what you get.

Just my two cents.
Interesting, I read the LG had the more "vibrant" picture more generally, I think in What Hifi. The Panasonic seemed to also have a less impressive remote/UI experiance. Purely looking for TV and cinema, sadly i'm no FHD so have no clue which programmes have DV and HDR10+ support, I was hoping they were equally supported, I don't want to pick a side in another format war. :)

Soldato
Interesting, I read the LG had the more "vibrant" picture more generally, I think in What Hifi. The Panasonic seemed to also have a less impressive remote/UI experiance. Purely looking for TV and cinema, sadly i'm no FHD so have no clue which programmes have DV and HDR10+ support, I was hoping they were equally supported, I don't want to pick a side in another format war. :)

going to entirely depend on what panel there looking at, setting, panel etc. being better for TV and movies does not necessarily mean vibrant alone, Motion handling for example plays a role as does the special sauce each manufacture applies. Having seen a friends A8H (socially distanced) would have been my pick over LG models if only Sony had comparable gaming features. Panasonic, more so there custom Pro models seem to be in a different league entirely. But they are expensive as the OLED panels are actually cherry picked by LG display. There HZ2000 seems absolutely spectacular, abit expensive as!

That said, not going to go wrong IMO with LG TV's at all, they are damm fantastic, just some of the others are slightly ahead / behind in there own areas IMO. Panasonic HZ1000 could be a nice option to look at, great panel overall comes with DV and HDR10+, natural colours, good near black handling and not massively overpriced but does lack HDMI 2.1 and the gaming features.

Associate
going to entirely depend on what panel there looking at, setting, panel etc. being better for TV and movies does not necessarily mean vibrant alone, Motion handling for example plays a role as does the special sauce each manufacture applies. Having seen a friends A8H (socially distanced) would have been my pick over LG models if only Sony had comparable gaming features. Panasonic, more so there custom Pro models seem to be in a different league entirely. But they are expensive as the OLED panels are actually cherry picked by LG display. There HZ2000 seems absolutely spectacular, abit expensive as!

That said, not going to go wrong IMO with LG TV's at all, they are damm fantastic, just some of the others are slightly ahead / behind in there own areas IMO. Panasonic HZ1000 could be a nice option to look at, great panel overall comes with DV and HDR10+, natural colours, good near black handling and not massively overpriced but does lack HDMI 2.1 and the gaming features.

Thanks, I really appreciate the input! I'm looking to spend upto £1500, what with Zen 3 and new cards coming up, the TX-55HZ980B looks promising. The reviewer in the video has a wicked sense of humour! :D

Associate
Awful coil whine (i think its coil whine) on my set, part replaced earlier in the month and think its actually worse now. Getting to the stage i cant enjoy watching stuff at lower volumes. What is acceptable for this in this day and age?

Associate
What TV did you get and how long have you had it? It doesn't sound acceptable at all, nor burn in, I'm interested in OLED, but a part of me thinks it may be a stop-gap tech for micro-leds.

Soldato
Awful coil whine (i think its coil whine) on my set, part replaced earlier in the month and think its actually worse now. Getting to the stage i cant enjoy watching stuff at lower volumes. What is acceptable for this in this day and age?
Can you capture this on your phone and upload as intrigued now.

Soldato
Even 8 months after buying the C9 it amazes me everytime I feed it good content.

I also echo the comments about the built-in speakers, they are surprisingly good for a TV, even more so for a TV with such a thin profile.

Caporegime
I'm interested in OLED, but a part of me thinks it may be a stop-gap tech for micro-leds.

Well mass-produced LG OLED TVs have already been around for 5 years, by the time micro led is available to us commoners at a decent price, I think we're looking at another 5 years, so 10 years is quite a stopgap. I'm not that confident we'll have mass-produced micro led sets by 2025, if we do then I can't see a 55-inch model being in the region of £1000-1500.

It looks like Samsung have already delayed "The Wall" until next year due to supply and quality issues. That's a screen that will cost 5 figures as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting - my TV has a relay in that clicks when I power it on and shortly after power off. But I've never noticed any coil whine at all, and I'm picky about noise/do a lot of late night watching.

Associate
Well mass-produced LG OLED TVs have already been around for 5 years, by the time micro led is available to us commoners at a decent price, I think we're looking at another 5 years, so 10 years is quite a stopgap. I'm not that confident we'll have mass-produced micro led sets by 2025, if we do then I can't see a 55-inch model being in the region of £1000-1500.

It looks like Samsung have already delayed "The Wall" until next year due to supply and quality issues. That's a screen that will cost 5 figures as well.
You're right of course, and by the time Micro-LED is catching on, we'll have Nano-Graphene 16K sets on the horizen. I'm actually pleased with my ancient FHD Sony, so an upgrade to LG or Panasonic OLED at 4K will be something I'll definetley appreciate.

Caporegime
Have had my c9 for over a month now and I’m just absolutely awestruck whenever I watch 4K/UHD content.
My fire tv 4K first gen is pretty much redundant now as I’ve been using the built in apps for Netflix, amazon prime and Disney +.
Dolby vision is absolutely beautiful on this set, can’t get enough of watching anything with Dolby vision on the c9. My friends and family are suitably impressed and have been after one but the 55” is no longer available. And 65” for them is far too big as they have smallish front/tv rooms.

Just hoping that nothing goes wrong with my c9, pretty much perfect out of the box.

Associate
Have had my c9 for over a month now and I’m just absolutely awestruck whenever I watch 4K/UHD content.
My fire tv 4K first gen is pretty much redundant now as I’ve been using the built in apps for Netflix, amazon prime and Disney +.
Dolby vision is absolutely beautiful on this set, can’t get enough of watching anything with Dolby vision on the c9. My friends and family are suitably impressed and have been after one but the 55” is no longer available. And 65” for them is far too big as they have smallish front/tv rooms.

Just hoping that nothing goes wrong with my c9, pretty much perfect out of the box.

Where can u get dolby vision content from?? ive only ever used the inbuilt demo to show it

Soldato
Looking at saving for one of these. I have a Hisense H506250A that I got for £299 when I got my PS4 Pro on the same day (so had to cheap out a bit). I have been considering a C9 as it seems to tick all the right boxes and also looking ahead for next gen consoles. I have a One X and PS4 Pro already.

Depending on price, I can get a B9 for £1098 which is just over my preferred budget of £1000. I can wait for black friday so just food for thought atm.

Back
Top Bottom