LG OLED C9 as a PC monitor - Yes, I'm crazy, Yes time to get some burn in.

Associate
I don't think I've been so excited about a thread here since the Samsung TV thread a few years back in the monitor section. Been using a Samsung 40" TV as a 4K monitor for a couple of years now. Time for an upgrade? I will do some more research but this looks very promising. Pay the Xmas credit card off this month and then...

Soldato
LG has some pretty sweet displays coming out this year including CX48 which is also featured in this video.

https://youtu.be/0_NQ_6xEIhI

Ok...I want that.

I was going to buy an LG C9 in the sales, just for the PS5 &/or Xbox Series X, but sanity prevailed and I realised there's no point buying a display now, for something not needed for nearly a year.

I presume these will launch in the Q2 time frame(?), if so, 6mths before the new consoles is close enough to justify it :)

Soldato
OP
So realistically we're talking £1.5k after sales/discounts for the 48CX, another £1k minimum for the HDMI 2.1 RTX 3080TI.

vs let's say £1.2k after the LG 38GL950G falls in price. I was leaning toward OLED but now I think i'm leaning back, imagine not being able to use a desktop wallpaper lmao. I'm sure it's gorgeous but it's just not practical for a day to day PC monitor i'm sorry.

I mean I would be fine with not upgrading the gpu and playing at a lower resolution.

I’d take no wallpaper over the disgusting image on the LG monitor. There’s really no comparison at all to be made image quality wise sadly .

Soldato
Finally got my gaming setup mostly finished last night.

Nicked @Warranty_V0id table idea and bough an 80cm version using a voucher for £23, this fits my K70, Powerplay mat on just fine.

Had a couple of hours playing Borderlands 3 and Forza Horizon 4 sat about a metre from the screen and it looks sublime.

Just need to pick some trunking up from Screwfix tomorrow and do some cable management.

Associate
I don’t see much reason to wait for a CX48, the C955 is bigger, but it’s currently cheaper than the 48 will likely launch at, making it **** poor value for money, all while having no features that make it a more compelling gaming display for either PC or console....

I guess it’s looking like a one trick pony, size...and wait a year for decent pricing.

Soldato
I don’t see much reason to wait for a CX48, the C955 is bigger, but it’s currently cheaper than the 48 will likely launch at, making it **** poor value for money, all while having no features that make it a more compelling gaming display for either PC or console....

I guess it’s looking like a one trick pony, size...and wait a year for decent pricing.

Well hold your horses until we do get a price on the 48", otherwise you could have some serious buyer's remorse. Unless 55" actually works best in your set-up, in which case yeah, go for it.

Caporegime
So the chap from LG mentions that 4K @120Hz is possible on the new 48CX via HDMI 2.0 in this video...how have they achieved that then?

He mis-spoke imo, don't take it as gospel. Best thing he mentioned was that the 9-series will gain 40-120hz 4k Gsync once the relevant cards are out which is great news esp from current owners :)

Associate
Was funny how he explained their desire to not focus on input lag quoted times, preferring to just say they are so fast it no longer matters if 5.7ms or 4.2ms etc etc..

I guess this could mean good or bad, time will tell.

Associate
So the chap from LG mentions that 4K @120Hz is possible on the new 48CX via HDMI 2.0 in this video...how have they achieved that then?

LG have now allowed 4K/120Hz at 4:2:0 chroma which was disallowed on the 2019 sets. That can fit in HDMI 2.0b's bandwidth. You have to wait for HDMI 2.1 GPUs to use full 4K120/4:4:4 or full RGB chroma.

This is a great move though as it allows the wait for HDMI 2.1 GPUs to not be as painful.

On top of that. 120 Hz BFI looks to be in. Anyone would have to be crazy to get a traditional expensive LCD "gaming monitor" over this beauty.

And 48" seems to take a bit of the edge off such a large display versus 55" for desktop use:

55-inch-16x9-vs-48-inch-16x9.png

Last edited:
Soldato

chroma subsampling: rendering with yiv 4:2:2 instead of rgb 4:4:4

in laments terms - the picture is compressed to a lower quality and will look a bit grainy.

Associate
Yeah, I do not see this as a selling point at all, not vs the fact the 2019 models will get the full fat 120 @ 4k @ 4:4:4 anyways.

Time wait issue is moot, yes we have to wait for HDMI 2.1 GPU's, but we have to wait for 2020 models too lol, so this might buy us a month or 2, hardly worth missing out on a 2019 model if the price, value factor is higher.

Also, the sound is looking to be worse on the 2020 models from what the design is showing.

Back
Top Bottom