LG OLED C9 as a PC monitor - Yes, I'm crazy, Yes time to get some burn in.

Soldato
LG C9 Review as a PC Monitor

I’ve had a journey through monitors. I’ve experienced VA ultra wides, VA super ultra wides, IPS ultra wides, FALD TV sets as monitors and edge lit TVs as monitors.

This review is for PC gamers who are contemplating buying a 55’’ OLED LG C9 TV because they are crazy.

We’re going to get out of the way the issue of burn in straight away. Its a risk you take for the best image quality available. You can mitigate the risk by running 100% black transparent start menu bar, disable the little website badges on the task bar and block any annoying elements like the youtube badge using adblock. Is it a risk? Yes. It is a con? Yes. There’s a chance in 2 years time of using an OLED panel you’ll have some visible burn in on a bright red screen or on a block colour. However, I do sometimes wonder if its THAT much of a big deal compared to seeing a constantly **** washed out picture, with haloing, back light bleed, banding, IPS glow, ghosting… which will always be there from day one and only worsen.
Anyway I unboxed this LG set and straight away thought this is way too big for my desk. I situated the screen 1m away from myself. After using it for a few minutes, it induced clear headaches. This was secondary to two reasons:
  1. The screen was too tall
  2. The screen was too bright
Yes, I followed the OLED hater’s advice that OLED panels must be super dim so I set the OLED light at 50 in a dark room.. and guess what? Its freaking bright. At 25-30. its much more comfortable. Also reducing sharpness to zero made the text go from looking horrible to awesome. Also disable true motion and enter game mode.

Build quality wise, I mean its worlds ahead of anything we get in the PC monitor world. The panel is beautiful, it comes with a remote, the stand is substantially well built and it has this really nice glass to glass design which means you don’t have that annoying dead space which you have with a monitor.

Anyway onto the size of it. Its big and at 55 inches its not usable for desk usage at its native 4k resolution. However, as us ultra wide gamers all want to do, we want a 21:9 aspect ratio. I custom resolutioned 3840x1400 and it worked well. I booted up a game and noticed I fancied a bit more vertical resolution, so i bumped it up to 3840x1600 and its felt nice. It only runs at 60hz until we get HDMI 2.1. However the ability to actually customise how much vertical real estate I want, and therefore be able to adapt my FPS to the actual resolution meant even high end games were easily playable at 60fps. Basically, ultrawide works and it works beautifully but at a cost of no high framerates for now.

BTW, a mention of the black bars. The black bars are a non issue at the bottom as that would be space where a normal monitor’s legs would go. Instead you just get a seamless looking piece of black glass. It looks good. They just look like huge bezels because the pixels are actually off. But whats sweet is these are optional bezels that with an adjustment of a resolution slider, you can fill with goodness.

For high refresh gaming, you have to run at 1440p@120hz. I tried this and due to the size of the screen, you can’t be a desk gamer and need to move a bit backwards (maybe 2m). With Nvidia sharpen activated, its beautiful.

Adapative sync is still pending but its clearly coming in the form of Gsync compatibility as its now officially certified on Nvidia’s website.

Onto colours, this completely destroys any panel I’ve used. The CRG9, AW3418DW, the Panasonic 902B FALD sets, the QLED panels i’ve trialled. They all pale in comparison compared to the near total control this panel has over colours and especially blacks. The SDR performance is perfect.

Response rate is incredible. Despite being 60hz and having a 13ms input lag or 6ms input lag at 1440p, it manages to feel more responsive than my CRG9. Its probably the OLED pixel's ability to respond very fast and the fact that theres no visible artifacting from motion or blur. Smearing is just not here on this display. Its beautiful and fluid.

HDR performance is worlds ahead of anything anyone else offers. The blacks are well controlled and the bright specular highlights are perfect. I have only seen the ABL kick in a few times when I maxed brightness and tried to type this on notepad.

The resolution and PPI somehow feels sharp enough despite its huge display, again probably due to the amazing contrast and OLED subpixel layout.

For media consumption, of course this destroys any monitor because it’s 55 inches of pure goodness which you can manipulate with aspect ratio after aspect ratio to play films, 21:9 content or 16:9 content.. and the black bars just blend into the dark at night. This is ignoring the built in speakers (which are nothing special) and the built in media integration of a Netflix and Amazon Prime app.
I played Gears of War 5 on it, and it was INCREDIBLE. The dark scenes in act 1 were visibly pitch black, with beautiful specular highlights from gun fire and light sources providing an awesome impact. Its akin to going from a crappy 2004 acer laptop to a MacBook Pro Retina display. The jump feels similar, except this just feels like perfection.

This screen plus some good headphones like the AKG 712s gives you a phenomenal visual and auditory experience which feels expansive yet intimate at the same time.

So, this has been a really nice surprise. I thought I would HATE this TV as a monitor, but instead its given me a real issue as I plan to return this to get a 65 inch version for my home theatre room. I'd only say this experience is bettered by my Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 setup which will probably be the reason why I return it.

So, I’m sure people will now ask or wonder how does this compare to the top tier panels. We’re talking about the £1500+ FALD monitors and the CRG9.

The biggest cons of the LG C9 as a monitor are its desk space usage and sheer size, it being poor for productivity due to OLED’s inherent risk of burn in/IR and the fact it doesn’t have higher refresh rates at higher resolutions (YET) due to no HDMI 2.1 sources (which will be addressed next generation). If you’re using your PC 50/50 for adobe premier, lightroom photo editing and then gaming, this isn’t the screen for you. Likewise if you’re a competitive gamer who wants 165+ fps, its not for you.

At higher resolutions, I think the current FPS cap at 60fps is not THAT much of an issue. Its definitely a negative, but when using my CRG9 it wasn’t exactly destroying games in the 100fps mark.. but moreso hovering around 60 due to my RTX 2080 not being that strong at near 4k.

The next question is comparing it to the CRG9? Well I love the CRG9 but its clear this monitor/TV probably has it beat. The 32:9 aspect ratio is nice, but having a 21:9 aspect ratio spread across the same physical distance actually feels better. There is far less fish eye effect, the HUD feels closer, and there’s less shifting or elements or pop in secondary to the game just not being made with 32:9 in mind.

In terms of image quality, the CRG9 is at this point on its hands and knees, asking for the C9 OLED to not destroy it anymore. In terms of refresh rate, the CRG9 has the C9 OLED beat until HDMI 2.1 graphics cards becomes available. In terms of responsiveness, I’m sorry but this C9 OLED in game mode felt more responsive. This is also ignoring the perfect HDR performance and the fact it doubles as an actual freaking TV which would compete and beat most people's home theatre/lounge setups in a dark room. Also, this screen is missing the curved screen of the CRG9 and it hurts as the curve made looking at the peripheral edges of the screen more comfortable and natural.

For the LG 38 inch UW, again unless you NEED to be hitting 144 FPS in ultra wide games today, and can’t wait until the next GPU refresh, I just can’t imagine getting the 38 inches over the C9 OLED.

So, do I recommend this monitor? If you have the money, and the desk space, or can wall mount it, and you’re prepared to mitigate usage habits to avoid IR/Burn in, YES. Its just in a different stratosphere in regards to image quality compared to the current monitors, and for those that get close, it provides a sheet amount of value the others don't when you take into account this can easily be an actual TV for your PS4 Pro/Switch without looking silly like other ultrawide monitors.

If you use your PC for productivity and video editing, no.

If you split your usages going towards moreso media and films, then please just buy a secondary screen for productivity work and enjoy your games/videos in the best possible way with this screen; or just get something else.

The beauty of this monitor is the further away from it, the better it gets. Getting far away enough to unlock the visible comfort to go 1440p/120hz with Nvidia sharpen is like god mode.

Monitor Review Summary
PROS:

1. Best in class black levels
  2. Best in class contrast
  3. Best in class SDR performance
  4. Best in class HDR performance
  5. Great responsiveness and motion
  6. Best in class real estate for a monitor
  7. Great for media playback, including supporting multiple aspect ratios and having built in applications
  8. No Halo effect, No banding, No BLB, No IPS glow, No ghosting,
  9. Adaptive sync pending
  10. Built in speakers (they’re not amazing but none of my high end monitors come with them)
  11. Better compatibility with games as it can support 16:9, 21:9 and still give a decent sized image
  12. Amazing build quality
  13. Doubles as a TV/Media centre
  14. Best in class dark room performance
  15. For PC monitors, also best in class bright room performance
  16. Future proofing. It's OLED with awesome HDR performance, infinite contrast ratio and 2.1 HDMI ports; and a 4k resolution. I don't see this getting outdated for a LONG time.
  17. Great for local co-op due to sheer size
  18. Provides great longevity as down the road, it can be used as a TV instead and comfortably used as either a home theatre screen, console gaming screen etc.
Cons:
  1. Needs workarounds to avoid IR/Burn in which is still not unavoidable
  2. Bad for productivity due to IR/Burn in
  3. No high hz modes for 4k/ultrawide resolutions (yet)
  4. Its huge and therefore impractical for many
  5. Its expensive
  6. Not for competitive gamers
  7. Reflective when its just a black screen
  8. No curved Screen
Photos will be uploaded later but it looks ridiculous on a desk basically but beautiful for whoever sits infront of it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
"Reflective when its just a black screen"

This is the only part I couldn't get on with :(

When they can do 4k/120hz with VRR via HDMI 2.1 (I'm expecting it on the next nVidia cards) then I might give one another go :)

Yup, still it is better than having grey rather than the colour black hahaha! At night, you really can't notice it AT ALL.

Soldato
OP
There are laptops with oled screens now so burn in can't be that bad. Approximately how many hours a week will you be using the oled tv as monitor if you don't mind me asking? Also will you be doing any productivity work on it (video editing, coding etc)?

I probably use my monitor 2-3 hours a day and hopefully that will reduce with time. I'm trying to do less productivity and web browsing and more fun stuff on my monitor/TV. I'm actually contemplating a move to lounge gaming now rather than at my desk because I find gaming at my desk in my bedroom, I seem to game less and browse/type more.

Soldato
OP
You get used to it and I actually find the reflection handling fine to be honest. Mine doesn’t see much sun apart from the very early hours of the morning. Other than that I can’t really say I’ve noticed a great deal of reflections even gaming with the light on which I usually do anyway.

I also think that the slight glossy nature gives it improved image quality. Making it look and feel almost like a window. Certainly better than a grainy matte surface I think.

I agree with you completley. I hate glossy so much.. until I use one for a while and then look at a matte one. The perceived loss in contrast is strange and the graininess is really apparent.

Whats shocked me the most is this C9 feels the shame sharpness at my CRG9 despite the fact its 80 vs 100ppi.

Soldato
OP
LG have a 48" OLED coming next year, but do you reckon it would be that much difference to 55"? 48" is still very large after all.

I used a CRG9 for a couple of months and I found the actual physical width of that screen for gaming was ideal. It just about didn't fill in my peripheral vision but was extremely immersive.

The 48'' OLED LG will not have the same width as the CRG9. The 55'' OLED does which is why I initially picked this.

I'm deffo going this route on my next upgrade with pretty much the same attitude, if it burns in, not too bothered about it, the protections are decent on them these days. Anyways, the trade off is more than worth it.

Exactly. It sucks that it burns in maybe one day but its better than looking at crap everyday.

Soldato
OP
Glad you're enjoying your new monitor @aoaaron. Sounds fantastic. OLEDs always look amazing. Saw a Panasonic OLED in Currys the other day and it was simply the best picture I have ever seen. Unfortunately it was over £4000.

I'm loving my CRG9 as it's perfect for my sim racing use. Thanks for all the posts and information about it.
I miss how futuristic the crg9 looked!

Soldato
OP
Wouldn't a custom res be a major risk for burn-in... having that hard edge between the on and off parts of the display all the time?

Everythings probably a risk for burn in. The middle pixels will wear quicker, although I will be mixing content.

At the end of the day, if you're scared of burn in, then an OLED isn't for you.

I had a similar fear with Plasma Vs LCD. I settled on an LCD and lived with crappy image quality day in, day out for 5 years or so. Then I had to choose LCD or OLED. I went with LCD and from day to day (with a top class panasonic 902b) I've lived with vertical banding, blooming, back light banding, and subpar black performance in a dark room with the halo effect. FALD lovers can lie as much as they want and say they're sets are perfect but I'm not biting.

top range monitor: https://i.imgur.com/RoIyNwB.jpg

oled:
https://i.imgur.com/YAohXZD.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/BdTldPD.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/SLFmle6.jpg

its so black the camera struggles to capture it.

If i get burn in 2 years, I'll try via team knowhow insurance cover to get a replacement. If they are annoying about it, I'll just hand it down to my sister or parents. Its very hard to go back from an OLED screen once you've experienced it imo. Especially if you have ideal envrionment for it.

Soldato
OP
That picture from a top range monitor is likely from a PG34 or x34 those don't have FALD you can see the backlight bleed. I have a PG27UQ and there is no noticable haloing in games, and on the PG35VQ the Blacks are amazing. It's just a shame that those monitors have serious flickering issues. I'm not arguing with you on what has the best picture quality(the TV has it) but the pic you showed is nothing like a what is on the PG27UQ and PG35VQ.
Oh yeah I agree.

For fald I can do a comparison photo with my 902b Panasonic which is definitley a Top class fald but it’s in a different room with difficult conditions.

The different is still huge. One fald looks like a really nice image, the oled looks like perfection tbh.

Soldato
OP
The top pic is likely an IPS UW. One reason I got rid of mine a long time ago.

The only issue with the 27UQ and 35VQ is the price. I’m sure the 35VQ is a pretty amazing monitor. Flickering issues aside etc. However.

You could get a 55” C9 and still have change to spare when buying either monitor.
You could get a 55” C9 and a 165hz 1440p 27/32” or a 34” UW and still have change to spare over the 35VQ. You could even get a 65” C9 and still have change to spare. Personally I know what I would go for.

Exactly my thoughts.

The fald monitors and the lg38’’ are just priced at ridiculous levels for what a good ips or va ultrawide with high refresh rate plus a 55’ c9 offers (which is the best of both worlds).

That’s ignoring the build quality and tech packed into the c9! And the real hdr performance with absolute blacks

I have an LG 55" C8 OLED as my main living room TV, which I have connected to my PC and my consoles. - it's Marvellous! I only tend to play controller based PC games on it like Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider, etc, where I can relax on the couch with my xbox controller. but with the added HDR these games look so damn good.

I am however super salty that my panel is 1 year too old to receive the coveted 13ms/6ms input lag and variable refresh rate that you get on the C9 :( - saying that, in PC/Game mode my ~26ms input lag feels indistinguishable to my PC monitor anyway...
Yeah it’s the mystical magical oled pixel response rate.

I played portal 2 today which id competed on my crg9 and old aw34 and it felt very similar.

Also weirdly enough I disxanled vsync and on an oled screen tearing is really really hard to spot if you move fast whilst on other panels I’ve found it really easy to spot and annoying.

Soldato
OP
10 years out I'd think MicroLED will be closer to the horizon, with none of OLEDs drawbacks.

OLED is an odd one... 55" HDMI 2.1 VRR TV's for £1500 (soon to be cheaper with LG's 48" in 2020), 60Hz 21" monitors for £4500, a 120hz 55" monitor (Alienware AW5520QF) for £3,300... and we still have the issue of burn-in to address regards a dedicated PC monitor, which none of these really are. Even EIZO's recent Foris Nova 21" OLED that was just announced comes with a warning about turning it off periodically to avoid this. OLED is great for lounge gaming, movies etc. but I do not see it ever penetrating the mainstream monitor market due to its emissive properties. They'd have to get the price down to such low levels in order to mitigate that burn-in risk. No one is going to be paying thousands for a monitor with the possibility of it suffering burn-in after a year or so, and not being covered under warranty. It seems like this may be why the Dell 55" lowered its brightness and has no HDR support... to reduce the chance of this happening, but the 55" size alone is going to be prohibitive for the kind of long term use that a typical desktop monitor gets anyway. Surprises me somewhat that Dell didn't push for a smaller size, but clearly from a production standpoint, 55" OLED is the mainstream, so I guess it makes sense they went that route, as no one is mass producing smaller OLEDs obviously... but the price is absurd.

i think micro led will be far away.

im not in the mood anymore of waiting years for a new product or tech.. i feel too old to do that.

Soldato
OP
To the OP , isnt it possibke to do 4k 120hz but using 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 instead of 4:4:4 , yes for desktop text is a lot clearer with 4:4:4 but for gaming with motion u barely notice it while taking advantage of higher refresh rate / resolution.

I ve been thinking of getting the C9 as my main pc monitor for some time now, maybe ill cave in soon and just get it lol.

I don't think so. I tried custom resolutions which still utilised the equivalent 1440p/120hz bandwidth and it didnt work.

anyway, I returned the C9 and went back to TV gaming! I just can't let go o my 5.1.2 atmos sound system for games. Loved my AKG 712 headphones but they are no where near.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
That looks very nice indeed. How much did all that cost? Looks expensive :p

i dunno man off the top of my head probably £3k for everything all in all.

you can get comparable sound for way cheaper tho!! if i was to do it all again, I'd just go for a second hand setup for someone. sound is sound and hardly moves forwards year to year.

Soldato
OP
Thanks. I just have a cheap £100 LG soundbar. Does the job for now. But will eventually upgrade at some point :D

£100 soundbars are great.

For £100 you're not going to get a lot in the AVR/5.1 setup world. When you have a decent budget £500-1000, you'll get something insane on the second hand market. and you can always expand and upgrade.

I found on ebay some mission LSX speakers for like £40. add in a decent second hand AVR.. and thats a great 2.0 system.

Soldato
OP
Sounds good. Next on the shopping list is a OLED. It will either be a LG B9 or C9 55" or wait for the B10/C10 and see what's what with them and decide. Basically I want it in the next 12 months just in time for the PS5 :D

B9 just got Gsync support so seems like a no brainer now. I'm tempted to grab the 65'' for that if it comes down to £1.5k. Ideally I want the 77'' but I don't think it'll reach my budget (3-4k)

Soldato
OP
Sounds good. Next on the shopping list is a OLED. It will either be a LG B9 or C9 55" or wait for the B10/C10 and see what's what with them and decide. Basically I want it in the next 12 months just in time for the PS5 :D

What I like about sound bars is the lack of space they take up. Mine fits perfects on the chimney breast under the wall mounted tv. It is perfectly at ear level too and has a wireless sub.

Truth is I am not sure I would want something any louder as it is plenty loud and I have semi detached house and I am not the sort to take the **** and make neighbors uncomfortable. What I could do with is better sound quality maybe though.

Oh its not really about volume.

High fidelity audio and high quality sound with surround speakers is an experience.

If someone gave me £4,000 to create a home theatre experience for myself. I'd say about £3,000 would go on sound or at least half of it. I think its the most neglected part of most people's home theatre setups. I see people with their big OLED Tvs and tin-like sound and it blows my mind. A subwoofer which makes the room shake, which makes you feel hurricanes, dolby atmos surround which filles the room with ambient sound, directional audio, the feeling of rain or a waterfall...

Its just so much more than volume.

Sadly you're right in that logistics and wiring mean some people just can't have it. There is no doubt that even just a simple 5.1 setup is impractical with tonnes of wiring and tonnes of space used up in the lounge/room.

Back
Top Bottom