LG OLED C9 as a PC monitor - Yes, I'm crazy, Yes time to get some burn in.

Associate
Update: I just ordered a LG - 48" Class - CX Series. Last week I also bought a Samsung CRG9, but it's still in the box. The LG comes in next week, so I am going to see how it well it does on my desktop for coding. If it is comfortable and works out, I will send back the CRG9(although I will miss the curve).

If the tv is is about 23 inches/59 cm away from me will the text look good or will it look pixel like?

Soldato
OP
@aoaaron oh, is that 77" on your desk? Do you use it also for PC productivity stuff sometimes?

Hi, nope moved away from desk to home theatre room.
Still use it for PC productivity all the time. Typing on it as we speak.
I'm about 2.5metres away from the screen.

I got really frustrated by the inferior sound available at a desk compared to proper home theatre speakers and a gigantic subwoofer so I decided to abandon desk game, got a Logitech G913 keyboard + wireless mouse and haven't looked back.
I played through a bit of Witcher 3 on my home theatre setup and was honestly quite upset on the surround sound I missed out on and the room shaking bass by going with my PC bookshelves and headphones.
As I'm not a competitive gamer, honestly the experience has been absolutely incredible. It also means I can now pump money into one setup (PC/Home theatre) rather than having to always split the cash between 2 different spaces.

Productivity wise, obviously having 77 inches is insane. And its very fun for showing people stuff, for example I was house shopping yesterday on right move and could show the entire room what I was looking for.

I may return to desk setup for productivity but gaming wise, unless I go competitive on a specific title, I'd rather have the bigger screen PC experience now.

I just find it very useful knowing that I can pump every £ into ONE setup rather than 2.

My current setup is:
Arendal 5.1.2 1723S speaker setup
BK Monolith Plus Subwoofer
Denon AVR

LG OLED 77''
RTX 2080/8086k gaming PC, Switch, PS4 Pro, PSVR
Valve Index

Before this, I had a split setup of Consoles + KEF speakers downstairs, and then my CRG9/LG OLED + bookshelf speakers + AKG 712 pro + DAC/AMP upstairs at the desk with the Rift S in that room.

By consolidating the two setups and selling of the excess crap, I managed to upgrade sound, VR and display.

As I have gotten older, I have found freetime more limited so I decided to make the decision on which setup I prefer, and TBH I vastly prefer a nice coomfy couch, big sound, big screen to a nice ergonomic chair and PC display.

Its insane as my original setup was going to be an electriQ ultrawide monitor + a gaming rig + some AKG 712 pros.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Update: I just ordered a LG - 48" Class - CX Series. Last week I also bought a Samsung CRG9, but it's still in the box. The LG comes in next week, so I am going to see how it well it does on my desktop for coding. If it is comfortable and works out, I will send back the CRG9(although I will miss the curve).

If the tv is is about 23 inches/59 cm away from me will the text look good or will it look pixel like?

It will be fine. It is actually not as wide as the CRG9.

Pixel density is not as good as the CRG9 but the better pixel layout of OLED panels and the better sharpness give of a sharper than normal image to the human eye.

Associate
Thanks!

It comes in Monday.

I have a wallpaper that I love and do not want to get rid of. While I am using the PC.... If I blank the screen for a few seconds every hour would that be enough to protect the tv? That is when I am using the PC while at work for 8 hours.

When the PC goes idle for 20 minutes the screen saver will come on and stay on

Soldato
OP
Thanks!

It comes in Monday.

I have a wallpaper that I love and do not want to get rid of. While I am using the PC.... If I blank the screen for a few seconds every hour would that be enough to protect the tv? That is when I am using the PC while at work for 8 hours.

When the PC goes idle for 20 minutes the screen saver will come on and stay on

Honestly, I just bought my TV from John Lewis and got their burn in protection warranty so I don't use any protection stuff outside of a black wallpaper.. and I use that cos it looks cool with an OLED.

Associate
Well, I got it and tried it. I use Linux and the fonts looked really bad. The magenta colored ones were barely readable. So, I am sending it back. I don't think it would have worked out good on the desktop ether because of ergonomics. But it was a good try.

My Alienware laptop OLED looks awesome. Not sure why a TV can't be the same. Oh well.

Now, if only Samsung would release the Odyssey G9 again! That would be good!

Soldato
Well, I got it and tried it. I use Linux and the fonts looked really bad. The magenta colored ones were barely readable. So, I am sending it back. I don't think it would have worked out good on the desktop ether because of ergonomics. But it was a good try.

My Alienware laptop OLED looks awesome. Not sure why a TV can't be the same. Oh well.

Now, if only Samsung would release the Odyssey G9 again! That would be good!

fonts looked bad because you set it up incorrectly.

Associate
Guys. It took me all day yesterday to read the thread. It's a blessing. I am so grateful to all of you. I have questions, many questions. I am both excited and quite scared at the same time.
I am probably going to pull the trigger on the 48". I have limited office space. Why did this thread go silent?
First question.
When i watch the typical 4-8k HDR, Or DV demo videos from you tube (we all watch the same ones), do these videos look better using the actual tv, or should I still use the GPU in computer mode?
Second point :
This is an important buying decision for me. I have a GTX 2070 that is extremely overclockable to over 2000hz. Will it suffice? The idea of spending another $800 on a 3080 scares me. I know that a 2070 does not have 2.1, but can i still play games at 1440p on this tv? I would simply window the screen to a smaller size. I mainly play pubg. Obviously I would buy Tomb raider and the like, just to marvel at this screen.
I am an older gentleman. I fear that if I do not buy this TV now, I may die of old age before burn in does happen. Reading this thread really made me rethink of my mortality.
As for current set up, I have a brand new pc with a 10700k overclocked to 5. My monitors are old but still gorgeous. I am stuck with 32" 75hz professional monitors I bought back in 2013 (Asus PB328Q). I have tried some gaming monitors at 144-165 through the years, but the COLORS make me vomit. My eye is trained for sRGB, and these gaming monitors have awful color. Actually recently tried one IPS that was not at all bad. The Asus VG27AQL1A, comes quite close to proper sRGB but HDR 400 IS PATHETIC, an onion has better HDR performance. I am not expecting the Oled to come close to sRGB so that is ok. I also have a TCL 2019 65" 6 series. I love it, every time I watch HDR you tube clips I am like a child in a candy store. Obviously I am terrified of this burn in phenomenon, but will keep a 32" handy to use google, word and photoshop. I use photoshop 9 hours a day, mostly RAW files of designer hand bags. I have a photography studio in house.
I do have some further questions, and your help would be greatly appreciated.

Soldato
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9n8Hz_RLqw

Better late than never Linus.
He could have enjoyed the 55'c9 and just stood 30cm farther from the screen.. lol.

Nice Necro there dude! There's a very active CX48 thread in this forum, best to use the CX48 thread for CX48 reviews/videos etc.......

EDIT - Ah I see your the OP for this thread (C9), guess that's why!

Either way, I'd recommend that prospective buyers keep CX talk in the CX thread. C9 talk in the C9 thread etc :)

Soldato
OP
Guys. It took me all day yesterday to read the thread. It's a blessing. I am so grateful to all of you. I have questions, many questions. I am both excited and quite scared at the same time.
I am probably going to pull the trigger on the 48". I have limited office space. Why did this thread go silent?
First question.
When i watch the typical 4-8k HDR, Or DV demo videos from you tube (we all watch the same ones), do these videos look better using the actual tv, or should I still use the GPU in computer mode?
Second point :
This is an important buying decision for me. I have a GTX 2070 that is extremely overclockable to over 2000hz. Will it suffice? The idea of spending another $800 on a 3080 scares me. I know that a 2070 does not have 2.1, but can i still play games at 1440p on this tv? I would simply window the screen to a smaller size. I mainly play pubg. Obviously I would buy Tomb raider and the like, just to marvel at this screen.
I am an older gentleman. I fear that if I do not buy this TV now, I may die of old age before burn in does happen. Reading this thread really made me rethink of my mortality.
As for current set up, I have a brand new pc with a 10700k overclocked to 5. My monitors are old but still gorgeous. I am stuck with 32" 75hz professional monitors I bought back in 2013 (Asus PB328Q). I have tried some gaming monitors at 144-165 through the years, but the COLORS make me vomit. My eye is trained for sRGB, and these gaming monitors have awful color. Actually recently tried one IPS that was not at all bad. The Asus VG27AQL1A, comes quite close to proper sRGB but HDR 400 IS PATHETIC, an onion has better HDR performance. I am not expecting the Oled to come close to sRGB so that is ok. I also have a TCL 2019 65" 6 series. I love it, every time I watch HDR you tube clips I am like a child in a candy store. Obviously I am terrified of this burn in phenomenon, but will keep a 32" handy to use google, word and photoshop. I use photoshop 9 hours a day, mostly RAW files of designer hand bags. I have a photography studio in house.
I do have some further questions, and your help would be greatly appreciated.

I would rather have a GtX 1080 and game on an OLED than an RTx 3090 and game on mid range LcD monitor... so I think you are set.
Buy from John Lewis and get burn in protection warranty and photo edit as much as you like

Back
Top Bottom