LG OLED55B7V price hikes everywhere??

Soldato
Thinking of getting the SJ9 Sound Bar, seen some really good reviews for it when used with the LG B7, it's a bit pricey at £400 - is it worth it?

It depends how many HDMI devices you currently connect to your TV. If you've got more than one then the SJ9 could be an issue as it only has one HDMI input. You can work around that by connecting all your other devices to your TV and then using ARC to return the audio to the soundbar, but if you do that you'll be limited to Dolby Digital. To get the advertised Dolby Atmos you need to connect the source direct to the soundbar. For example, if you had Sky Q and an Xbox One X or 4k blu-ray player then you'd have to accept that one of those devices would miss out on Dolby Atmos.

@Marky, try these settings but with aspect ratio set to original:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-oled55b7v-best-tv-picture-settings.2106641/

Soldato
It depends how many HDMI devices you currently connect to your TV. If you've got more than one then the SJ9 could be an issue as it only has one HDMI input. You can work around that by connecting all your other devices to your TV and then using ARC to return the audio to the soundbar, but if you do that you'll be limited to Dolby Digital. To get the advertised Dolby Atmos you need to connect the source direct to the soundbar. For example, if you had Sky Q and an Xbox One X or 4k blu-ray player then you'd have to accept that one of those devices would miss out on Dolby Atmos.

@Marky, try these settings but with aspect ratio set to original:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-oled55b7v-best-tv-picture-settings.2106641/

Virtually identical settings to the B6 when reviewed on there, does the aspect ratio make a difference from 16:9 to original, I have never seen any difference between them.

Soldato
Just wondering if any of you are particularly mindful about burn in? I know the issue is overstated for normal, every day TV use. But I'm wondering if gamers are a special use case, where HUDs and other static graphical elements (especially if connected to a gaming PC) are a risk? Just curious if you're doing anything special to mitigate the risk, or are you just getting on with it?

Soldato
Just wondering if any of you are particularly mindful about burn in? I know the issue is overstated for normal, every day TV use. But I'm wondering if gamers are a special use case, where HUDs and other static graphical elements (especially if connected to a gaming PC) are a risk? Just curious if you're doing anything special to mitigate the risk, or are you just getting on with it?

I've not had mine for too long, so I can't give you any personal opinions - But before I bought the TV, I scoured the forums for reviews and thoughts etc. The general consensus seems to be: Don't worry about it... Unless you watch Sky News/Sky Sports News 12 hours+ a day (The yellow news bar at the bottom could burn in).

There is a setting that forces the TV to do a pixel refresh (I think that's what it's called), which can apparently take an hour but can sort out any burn in issues.

I did see them already, but I got confused by what the top bars mean? Am I meant to change the settings on each group (I.e. Day/Night/Game etc.) and then switch the right group dependent on what I am watching?

Soldato
I did see them already, but I got confused by what the top bars mean? Am I meant to change the settings on each group (I.e. Day/Night/Game etc.) and then switch the right group dependent on what I am watching?

Yeah, so for most content I use ISF bright room for daytime viewing and ISF dark room once it's dark. If I'm gaming then I'll use the 'Game' preset, and if it's an HDR game I'll use those under the 'HDR Game' list, and so on. The B7 will automatically recognise when content is HDR or Dolby Vision, and HDR games will be automatically detected, so those options you can just set up and forget. The rest you just need to input the settings once, select 'apply to all inputs' under picture settings, and then you can easily swap between the picture modes without having to re-enter the settings over and over. Once you set a particular picture mode on a particular input it will default to that next time you turn the TV on. For example, once you've set up and selected 'game' mode for a games console, it will stick to game mode each time you go to that device. It takes a bit of playing around but it's worth it to get the best picture for each type of content.

Soldato
I've not had mine for too long, so I can't give you any personal opinions - But before I bought the TV, I scoured the forums for reviews and thoughts etc. The general consensus seems to be: Don't worry about it... Unless you watch Sky News/Sky Sports News 12 hours+ a day (The yellow news bar at the bottom could burn in).

There is a setting that forces the TV to do a pixel refresh (I think that's what it's called), which can apparently take an hour but can sort out any burn in issues

Cheers Marky, that's reassuring!

Soldato
This is what the yellow sky news banner has done to my LG C6 and no amount of pixel refresh will fix it.

I am not sure how the newer models fair compared to the C6 but i just wanted to warn people.

261nevb.jpg

Soldato
Sorry to read that. How long/often would you have had it on Sky News? Is it noticeable in all situations?

Yeah it's my own fault really i watch lots of news and sometimes just leave the news channels running on the TV in the background while I am doing something else.

Its noticeable from ten feet away but it varies depending on the content and colour being displayed it shows up on reds and yellow more.

Luckily for movies with black bars its totally hidden and can't be seen.

I can live with it for this reason but i wish sky would change there banner color or make it more translucent in future.

Soldato
Yeah it's my own fault really i watch lots of news and sometimes just leave the news channels running on the TV in the background while I am doing something else.

Its noticeable from ten feet away but it varies depending on the content and colour being displayed it shows up on reds and yellow more.

I can live with it for this reason but i wish sky would change there banner color or make it more translucent in future.

Ah, at least it's not in your face I guess. Thanks for the feedback!

Soldato
This is what the yellow sky news banner has done to my LG C6 and no amount of pixel refresh will fix it.

I am not sure how the newer models fair compared to the C6 but i just wanted to warn people.

261nevb.jpg
The sky news banner has been know to damage plasma & OLED screens when left on that channel for too long...

The same for any other channel that has a banner on it

Soldato
The sky news banner has been know to damage plasma & OLED screens when left on that channel for too long...

The same for any other channel that has a banner on it

Yes I remember in the days of plasma a lot of People complained about the intensity of the news banner i think a lot of channels did alter it at that time but it seems they have gone back the other way in the last few years.

Permabanned
Should be common sense to most OLED owners that any static images will burn in eventually, I've turned off some BBC content because they often have the logo in the corner against a black background. :mad:

Soldato
Yes I remember in the days of plasma a lot of People complained about the intensity of the news banner i think a lot of channels did alter it at that time but it seems they have gone back the other way in the last few years.
Yes also years ago there was also a fair few channels that used to have a solid bright logo that could damage the screens

Lucky for me the only time I had image retention on my plasma's I know of is from the sky guide where I left it sitting on the guide screen for bloody ages while normally browsing the internet on the PC or fallen asleep..

Last edited:
Soldato

I'm not an ambulance chaser, but are you considering complaining ?
(compared to discussions on remorse based returns under some pre-text, this is legitimate.)

Soldato
Should be common sense to most OLED owners that any static images will burn in eventually, I've turned off some BBC content because they often have the logo in the corner against a black background. :mad:

It should also be common sense to most broadcasters that quite a few people have OLEDs and they could really help with what they display.

Permabanned
It should also be common sense to most broadcasters that quite a few people have OLEDs and they could really help with what they display.

Agreed, no reason why it can't just appear and disappear every few minutes instead, I'm sure viewers won't forget what channel they're watching. :(

Soldato
I'm not an ambulance chaser, but are you considering complaining ?
(compared to discussions on remorse based returns under some pre-text, this is legitimate.)

I am not sure about this to be honest I do have a 5 year warranty with Curry's but I am not sure it's worth the hassle and time.. I suppose there is no harm in trying.

Back
Top Bottom