Lightroom / Casual Gaming - £2k

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
I have another video this morning, not as a loud as yesterday but not a pleasant noise.

Also noticed this. I guess it may have happened when I installed the GPU.

6m6nerU.jpg

FYI I didn't order the X62 from OcUK so CS isn't as good. I have an RMA number but the returns process looks like it's going to be tricky, need to get clarification on a refund.

Soldato
Ouch. Sounds like a drunk pool party in there.

Mounted a NH-D15S in my system recently. Tip - literally as soon as the first of the two spring-screws makes contact, stop screwing. If you carry on even a little bit, the other screw is rarely able to make contact. So both in just a tad, then take turns. It just sounds like good practice I know. But I can't emphasize enough how strict it was about it lol.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Ouch. Sounds like a drunk pool party in there.

Mounted a NH-D15S in my system recently. Tip - literally as soon as the first of the two spring-screws makes contact, stop screwing. If you carry on even a little bit, the other screw is rarely able to make contact. So both in just a tad, then take turns. It just sounds like good practice I know. But I can't emphasize enough how strict it was about it lol.

Thanks good to know.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
The NH-D15S has been installed :) pretty cosy! I had to remove the top exhaust for now until I can get a slim 120. The rear exhaust is acting as a pull on the rear part of the heatsink :p

I can still see the RGB RMA, I just need to play with the position of the CPU fan cable as it's currently on top of the RAM.

So quiet :D

nh-d15s-1.jpg

nh-d15s-2.jpg

Soldato
Personally. Attached the middle fan to the right/front heatsink.
Like water, air will take path of least resistance or more flow would be drawn from path with least resistance. Currently with that middle fan attached to the rear sink, theres a break in the seal so air will not be drawn through as much from the front/first heatsink

Looks damn tidy though !!!

Soldato
Personally. Attached the middle fan to the right/front heatsink.
Like water, air will take path of least resistance or more flow would be drawn from path with least resistance. Currently with that middle fan attached to the rear sink, theres a break in the seal so air will not be drawn through as much from the front/first heatsink

Could have the reverse effect as doing that would create a break in the seal with the second heatsink, which may benefit more from sealed push than the first heatsink would gain from sealed pull. The second heatsink would suffer from a lot less static pressure than currently. Perhaps the difference between gap pull and sealed pull isn't as wide as the difference between gap push and sealed push and that's why Noctua chose this set-up. No harm experimenting though, but pretty sure Noctua will have tried it already.

It looks ace with the Chromax covers. I was tempted but just couldn't justify paying its current price lol. I'll wait and if they ever go for £10 then I'll get them.

Wouldn't bother with a top fan anymore personally. I'd even seal the top vents so that all the air is channeled across the heatsink and components and out the rear. A top fan would steal air from the fan in the middle of the cooler that Orb mentioned and we're discussing. Well, unless it was intake of course.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
For now I’ll hold off adding a fan at the top. I imagine it’ll act as a way for air to get pulled in with pressure at the moment. Not great when there’s no dust filter.

Soldato
Heatsinks in pull need low static pressure and reliant on airflow.
Heatsinks with push need high static pressure to verify airflow.

Learnt this from EKWB and Alphacool R&D guys :)

Also why eisbaer extreme is In pull config even when they have a huge static pressure , means they can run even slower and quieter, still keeping high airflow due to their design

Soldato
Heatsinks in pull need low static pressure and reliant on airflow.
Heatsinks with push need high static pressure to verify airflow.

Learnt this from EKWB and Alphacool R&D guys :)

Which is exactly how it's set up right now. That middle fan is pulling from the first heatsink with low static pressure (due to gap), and pushing on second heatsink with high static pressure (sealed).

Soldato
Which is exactly how it's set up right now. That middle fan is pulling from the first heatsink with low static pressure (due to gap), and pushing on second heatsink with high static pressure (sealed).

Because of the gap, even though it's quite small. A lot of air will be pulled from front heat sink, why I mentioned attaching it to that sink but in pull. That air gap, air will just be drawn from the sides, top and bottom .
The last sink basically has push and pull with the first having half the potential airflow through it .

Then again, real world gains are prob tiny . Just ramp up the intake fans at the front for high positive airflow and air should be shot through it :D

Soldato
The last sink basically has push and pull with the first having half the potential airflow through it .

The rear fan would have to be synched to CPU temp and have same RPM, preferably even be same fan, in order to have proper 2 x Pull on CPU cooler. Issue is rear fan would then slow down too much when hot GPU air needs exhausting while CPU isn't being worked much.

Then again, real world gains are prob tiny

I'd bet on that too.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
How're you finding the 4k monitor? Is 1440p gaming on it like you intended to do as sharp as it was on the original Dell?

Outside of gaming is fantastic, using 150% scaling gives the UI/text a really crisp look which is easy on the eyes. Editing photos shows so much more detail without the need to constantly zoom.

In games, using scaling options it's been fine. It's not as sharp as 1440p obviously, but unless you sit 2" from the screen and pixel peep you'll find the quality good.

Most games however with a little bit of tweaking you can run at 4k60. Apex legends runs fine at 4k60 with some tweaking, D3 looks nice in 4K.

Here are 2 screen shots of Destiny 2. First one is using almost max settings with 85% scale. 2nd screenshot is 4k using some medium settings and no AA (no real need for AA on 27" 4k).

85% scaled:

D2_85scaled.png

4K medium no AA:

D2_4k_med.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom