• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Linus has the infamous Ryzen random restart/shut down problem

Soldato
One thing i have noticed is setting too aggressive Negative Curve Optimiser it causes exactly this problem, either that's what he has done or the CPU he has is too aggressively tuned out of the box, IE the CPU might not be a bin at the quality its tuned for, setting a Positive 2 Curve Optimiser should fix it but honestly its one that probably should just be sent back.

As for Idle power, Zen 3 Cores idle at an incredibly low idle power, mine idles at about 0.02 to 0.03 Watts per core, that in its self can cause issues, its so low it can make the OS think its shut down which would cause it to shut off.

mobo vdrop and vdroop can affect it too

Soldato
Specs? Is that 20w measured at the wall for total system draw? If so that's very good.

My server has dual GPUs, 2 x nvmes, 2 x sata SSDs, 6 x mechanical satas, 10 x fans with a controller, a HBA card. Idle at 100w is at the wall when idle but with both gpus running (mechanicals spun down) and all services running including a gaming VM (also idle). I want to try to get it down to nearer 50w.

Total system draw.

Has like 6 3.5 hd inside as well

Caporegime
Total system draw.

Has like 6 3.5 hd inside as well

Zen 2 / 3 cores idle at very low watts, tiny fractions of a watt, as i said before 0.02 to 0.03 watts, and my CPU is overclocked to 5Ghz.

The higher you set a negative curve optimiser the lower that gets, my guess is it can get so low the OS or the PSU doesn't recognise them as active and shuts down.

Its probably why AMD are crushing Intel on laptop battery life.

sQa10Fh.png

Soldato
Zen 2 / 3 cores idle at very low watts, tiny fractions of a watt, as i said before 0.02 to 0.03 watts, and my CPU is overclocked to 5Ghz.

The higher you set a negative curve optimiser the lower that gets, my guess is it can get so low the OS or the PSU doesn't recognise them as active and shuts down.

Its probably why AMD are crushing Intel on laptop battery life.

sQa10Fh.png
Yea AMD will be on my next laptop for sure.

Soldato
His CPU is overclocked and isn't stable on new BIOS.

Overly aggressive offset voltages causing this isn't new. LLC also can change how it works with BIOS updates.

/misleading thread and title

Associate
Haven't had that issue whatsoever thankfully with my 5950x on my Asus X570 Formula so far and it's been running 24/7 since Dec 2020, have had 8 BIOS updates since then and still haven't had that issue, never had the USB bug either and I have about 11 USB devices plugged in. Been really happy with this Ryzen build as it was my first AMD CPU that I've ran permanently as my main system since the Athlon x2 4800+ was new.

Did have the 1800x very briefly for two weeks so I don't count owning that as I sent it back as the single core IPC in single threaded games was really bad even at 4K as it was holding back my cards at the time.

If the new BIOS for Linus is unstable why the hell didn't he just downgrade it, quick and simple fix if the new BIOS may just be buggy.

Soldato
Yea I've had my 5800x since Dec 2020, still using whatever beta bios they released at the time, very happy, stable, clocks 5ghz on all cores with PBO.

It is a little warm, 75c at gaming but seems to be perfectly happy at those temps.

Well played AMD.

To be honest I always used to buy AMD but my previous build was a Sandybridge i7 2600k such a good CPU it lasted me near on 10 years, and at the time AMD were going through a rough patch, with their "Faildozer" being the competition, it was a no brainer back then.

Associate
The problem only happens when the CPU is at idle, not with any load on it.
A plausible explanation is that problem happens when cpu boosts from idle clock to near max, but voltage doesn't hit the required level fast enough because of vdroop.

So LLC may fix it for some.

Of course it is still a problem with AMD id their CPUs don't work right at stock.

Caporegime
Well, this is happening to me and I thought this was an issue with my PSU only being 650W but maybe it's not? My 5950x machine spontaneously reboots around 10-15 seconds after I've been playing a game so isn't even at peak load. It probably happens once in ten times so it's not every time. I just finished playing Apex Legends and it's fine. It's an MSI X570 Tomahawk Max with a BIOS from last May or June, whenever I put it together. I have a vertical mounted 3080 so would rather not update the BIOS and have to faff about removing the mount, inserting the card normally, switching back to PCI-E 3.0 then putting the vertical mount back in.

Soldato
If the new BIOS for Linus is unstable why the hell didn't he just downgrade it
Because there's only so much anti-Intel and anti-Nvidia content he can post to avoid looking like the shill he is before he has to resume his "YouTube influencer" role and resume his shilling ways.

And there's nothing quite like supporting the "Alder Lake is great" narrative (which is it) than spouting a nonsensical and easily-resolved "oh look, AMD are buggy **** after all" video.

Caporegime
A plausible explanation is that problem happens when cpu boosts from idle clock to near max, but voltage doesn't hit the required level fast enough because of vdroop.

So LLC may fix it for some.

Of course it is still a problem with AMD id their CPUs don't work right at stock.

cant you just put windows to high performance mode ? so it runs full speed all the time.

Man of Honour
Ive been lucky! Also running threadripper 3000 and never even knew this was an issue :) I wonder what board he is on? Ill avoid upgrading my auros master I think just in case :cry:

Back
Top Bottom