Linux users what do you still need windows for?

Associate
Hello,

I am thinking about moving to linux for a while as i need to improve my knowledge of linux for work and i was just wondering what people here who use linux still needs/use windows for?

I personally have a decent gaming rig but just don't play games much so i guess that won't be a mayor concern but the likes of photoshop i think i will miss after 4 years of use near constant use (and to be fair gimp just sucks and is != to PS) and for Development Visual studio with c# as its just nice and comes with an amazing forms developer and debugger.

But other than that why the hell not?

Associate
You just listed all the reasons, there might be a couple of other programs you will miss but on the whole I've often preferred the OSS software I've found to replace things.

Soldato
The one and only thing I use Windows for is gaming, easy to do on a dual boot.

Bit of a lie, I use MS Office & Visual Studio in a Windows virtual machine under Linux. For any non-gaming applications, a VM is a perfect way to use Windows apps from inside your Linux OS.

Associate
work, unfortunately as it's Wintel on the desktop/laptop. Trying to get a corporate build VM so that I can run my laptop on "insert distro of the month here" and run the Wintel apps that I need (Outlook, bespoke Wintel apps, etc) seamlessly in virtualbox. Not been getting very far though :(

Soldato
Solid edge, ansys, autocad. Skype until recently. but the beta seems to be behaving itself at last.

I also put ms office in a virtual machine occasionally, though openoffice / gedit are often good enough really.

Soldato
games, audio stuff (vsti's and Ableton Live Suite), Adobe CS4 (doesn't seem to work very well emulated for me!) and video editing/photo editing as Lightroom is my fave at moment...

Got a Linux server which just sits under the stairs, like Harry Potter (without owl etc.) and has a real old moose and keyboard connected for occasions when nothing else works...

Ohh and forgot, my laptop has to have Windows on it, because when we go out and about, the wife and son can't complain!!!

Last edited:
Soldato
I asked myself that a few months ago, then i realised that i hadn't used Windows 7 for about an hour since it was released so i uninstalled it. I'm happy gaming with TF2 in Wine, Nexuiz, Warsow a few others and of course my 360 ;)

Back
Top Bottom