Linux users what do you still need windows for?

Soldato
At the risk of asking an obvious thing, you're not running at root any typing commands found dotted around on the internet without working out what they do first?

Whistle... ( Pretends to not heard you and looks other way )

Seriously though, previously I did it with Mandrake, although I would not enter commands without knowing the score first.
I would have a shot and quite often the Drake tools would get me out of trouble if i made a mistake, but not recently no. Im not a total fool. Fool yes, total, no!

Bloated is definitely not a joke. My OS, including gnome and every program I've wanted to use in the last three weeks or so, is 2.2gb in size. There's an awful lot of people on here who say they can't use a 30gb ssd because windows wont fit. I believe you to be assuming all linux distributions are like mint, which as an ubuntu derivative probably is becoming more bloated with every release.

The only MS O/S that wont fit onto an SSD is Vista.
Im running Win7/64 right now on a 36GB Raptor and I have.. Oooh, 19GB Free and I installed Win7 in October... So thats under 15GB I recon.
I wiol; admit however that I only have Windows and SysTools installed on C: - Everything else is on my other drives.
I do this to make sure my PC is always running 100% peak performance.

Not restricted by the EULA. Restricted in anything you do. I started a thread [post=15956378]here[/post] which concluded that people don't change anything in windows 7 because they think it's perfect already. Well bugger that. I want to assemble an OS optimised for my uses, not use the defaults intended to cover absolutely everyone who ever uses the software.

I see and yes, thats why I like alternatives too. Windows I like with the classic look/feel. its clean and tidy and not fannied about with too much eye candy.
Yes, at the same time, both my Sabayon and MiNT boxes are both whored up with Emerald and Compiz-Fusion. Neither are stock ( although I like the stock mint theme too Black & Green are a lovely mix )
And its tjhe same with My Atari - I use the Jinnee Desktop with the MacOS Theme using Vista Icons ( eye ball confusing )

So customizable is the key to a more personalised O/S, but there is also the fact that a stock Windows Setup is setup nicely and is very comfortable to work with.

Soldato
I've always been a fan of the classic theme... but I'm afraid I prefer windows 7's theme now... the taskbar is a lot better in my eyes, also the file renaming is like it is in some file managers in linux (file.exe... rename will select only "file")

Soldato
Running more expensive Servers / Justifying the costs?
What does this have to do with using it as a desktop O/S

Besides, the price hike is often not the Servers themselves, btu the upkeep of the servers. This hike is deliberately kept high not because its better but because the system admins like to charge more because its "M0R3 LEE7" than a Windows Server.

There's some truth to this. I think my OS will support 2048 processors, yet until quite recently flash just wasn't happening. Unix is a server OS, I believe linux is still a server OS but often with a pretty GUI wrapped around it. This isn't inherently sensible for a desktop, certainly not for a zero configuration one. Sterling work being done by Ubuntu to change this. Linux servers costing more to maintain is simpler than that, many more people are trained in microsoft than are trained to maintain linux. So linux staff are rarer, and can charge more as a result. That linux is used despite this recommends it as a server OS, but not as a desktop one.

Thats unfair.
you are coming up with facts now

Perhaps. It's hard to be sure, I know my girlfriend gets on perfectly well with ubuntu but would never have tried it if I hadn't left her with a laptop that only had ubuntu available for a few weeks. She doesn't rate open office writer but otherwise has no objections to the system. The main complaint I hear is that if it breaks they don't know how to fix it, cheerfully glossing over not knowing how to fix windows either. I think there's a strong association of "cheap" with "rubbish" in most peoples minds which doesn't help matters.

Some time later I learned about FDISK / MBR and I realised what happened.

Ah, good times. Learning about partitioning was a bit hit and miss for me too. I've got a usb stick which I'm sure I've killed with dd but I still can't understand how.

Well check out MiNT on the Atari, because thats exactly what it does.
We can use Linux / Unix code alongside Atari programs.

Credit where it's due, I wouldn't have expected that to be possible. Some people are writing a compiler for windows code which runs natively under linux, perhaps the projects are associated with each other. Thanks for this example.

Ok, cheers for this. Its certainly putting me in my place. Thanks

Now I feel bad. I'm not trying to put you in your place, to be honest I'm grateful for a coherent argument in favour of windows. I'm a bit sick of "linux has no games so is ****".

I'm running a copy of vista partly because a windows 7 upgrade would be expensive and partly because cad isn't great at following microsoft updates, I'm fairly sure solid edge is still written for XP. I've no particular objection to using windows (or dos, which I use for flashing bios' if nothing else), or OSX for that matter. My vanilla copy of vista, barred from accessing the internet, seems to run well enough and doesn't crash particularly often. I'm also aware that I've spent a long time troubleshooting misbehaviour under linux which I wouldn't have done under vista. But then, troubleshooting has always arisen as a result of me changing something, and under windows I'm unable to change anything very much. If I was less inclined to play with the system windows (duly maintained) would be perfectly acceptable and potentially lower effort, but in truth I'd be running a mac under these conditions.

Last edited:
Soldato
my girlfriend gets on perfectly well with ubuntu but would never have tried it if I hadn't left her with a laptop that only had ubuntu

In a similar manner, for some years I have got my parents to not switch their PC off and they now leave it running 24/7 ( help my folding score +1 ) but anyway, I left a live linux CD in their PC a while back, I think it was SuSE 7.2 but it was certainly about that time anyway.

But my mum said that she liked the new theme I put on her PC but "Her disk wont open anymore?"

Anyway, I was unable to get down for a couple of weeks, but she was ok to wait and when I went down, I found that I had left the Live Disk in and she has been happily using that all this time.

Just shows doesnt it?

When I explained, she was kind of sorry to see it go, but she wanted her AOL back ( The cow )

She is now no longer on AOL so perhaps... Maybe...

She doesn't rate open office writer but otherwise has no objections to the system.

Me too. I like Star Office however. Its a more "Finished" version of Open Office as you know and I feel worth the money.

The main complaint I hear is that if it breaks they don't know how to fix it, cheerfully glossing over not knowing how to fix windows either.

Bingo!

I think there's a strong association of "cheap" with "rubbish" in most peoples minds which doesn't help matters.

Again, another arguement I hear all too often, is that you get what you pay for and since Linux is free, its worthless. ---- ARGH!

Credit where it's due, I wouldn't have expected that to be possible. Some people are writing a compiler for windows code which runs natively under linux, perhaps the projects are associated with each other. Thanks for this example.

Ok, Im making out that it runs 100% of Linux code, this is not totally true, but most cleanly written code yes...
I have a few example screenshots that I will try to dig out, but there are such examples as running a few basic tux games, and even tux racer and thats a 3D game, so...

Check out SPAREMINT... Thats a fairly good example of the O/S and thats RPM based.

But yes, the thing is that it brings a lot of the best bits of unix to an Atari

Now I feel bad. I'm not trying to put you in your place, to be honest I'm grateful for a coherent argument in favour of windows. I'm a bit sick of "linux has no games so is ****".

Yeah, well linux is crap. It costs nothing so its worth nothing.. LOL

I'm running a copy of vista partly because...

Seriously mate... Win7 is everyhting that XP and Vista should have been.

Its flawless.

Vista was a serious mistake.

Now, I feel thats a little harsh TBH. It had issues. My word, did it have issues, and I feel that with SP2, these issues are pretty much now gone. I for one had over a year of failing to actually get a completely reliable Vista install, but once SP2 came along I am happy to say that my PCs no longer just trash themselves.
However, Win7 is all the best parts of Vista, with all the rubbish taken out.
It seems that for once, Microsoft actually has listened to the people. Maybe with Macs and Linux these days being a serious option and therefore a more serious contender, perhaps this has made Microsoft sit up and actually write an OS thats good, I dont know, but I promise you, if you have not tried Windows 7 then you are in for a little bit of a shock.

--

Here, one funny one for you.

My first ever HD was a 540MB for my Atari ST way back when we lived in caves... Cost me a smidge over a grand. ( good times ? )

Anyway, it had a few partitions and I forget what they were, thats not important, but I spent the next 2 weeks going about, copying my floppy disks over to it, I ran out of space on one partition, so I went to another, ran out on that and eventually I was left with a good bit of C: free and some of G: ... D: E: and F: were chokka!

So, while I was doing all of this, I read about this thing called partitioning and so I decided that the partitions were not very usefull as they were and so I decided to give it a slightly bigger C: and have a single D: for all my stuff and that way Id have a lot more room for everything.

But guess what happened?

I wiped the lot!

I didnt know at the time and while its bloody obvious to us now, at the time I was struggling to accept what had just happened???

LOL

We live and learn dont we?

Soldato
Off the top of my head, Steam (and games), Photoshop, Lightroom, Ableton Live, Reason, Renoise, Logic Audio Platinum, HornRESP, Reaktor, ReCycle...

I think I'm gonna dual boot for now... tho I can do everything I need to do in Windows.

Associate
Like so many other people, the only reason to keep booting into windows is to play some games that do not run natively under Linux or under Wine.

Soldato
I only needed Windows for gaming, but as my consoles take precedence now, I've made the plunge to Linux. As it's running on a fairly good computer (Dual core, 4 gigabytes of memory, a 4870), the speed and responsiveness is perfect for the simplistic tasks I'm doing. Aside from one small niggle that can be fixed by trying another Linux OS, it's spot on for my browsing and media needs.

Back
Top Bottom