Linux users what do you still need windows for?

Associate
Its like everything else

If theres a big product some people just like the little guy

And before people start saying Linux is Huge I dont mean that- people just have the right to pick what they want and although I use windows I think its healthy that people use Linux

For instance- Intel is the CPU daddy at the moment but I always buy AMD
I find that the products are good and if anyone looks closely they see Intel getting a lead and the price Of i7 and mobo etc is very high

Competition is great for the consumer(us)

I would like to try a Linux Desktop software but I fell most OS's just do pretty much the same stuff

I have a MSDN account and get all my MS software for free anyway

Soldato
Pretty much just to play some games. Wine is good enough for a lot of stuff you might want Windows for though.

Soldato
Games
Scanner
MP3 Player software
Testing code that needs to run on Windows machines

That's about it really, I don't use MS Office any more and have never really got in to Photoshop so on the whole the replacements are more than up to the job.

Associate
Have XP on a back up machine just in case things go south with the macbook/ubuntu computers. If I get round to backing things up then even that will be surplus to requirements.

Soldato
I only use windows for tasks that would be frown at.. lol ;), when I'm at home, mainly cos its a pain or impossible to get the home brewed software needed on any other platform.

Its a case of OS X on my main system, everyday use away from work.
Linux mint on my netbook.
PS3 and farmville holds up my gaming needs

and last but not least windows 7 on my work laptop as I haven't got the time yet to find or setup a distro that will fully work on it, and xp on my home laptop for the darkside....

Soldato
Which iPod? Doesn't it just treat it as a storage device? It does my Clix 2. If it's an iPod touch then people are saying that it's compatible in the latest Ubuntu 10.04 builds, so not far round the corner.

think it is 4th gen

it will pick it up
but not sure which folder to put the music into so that the ipod reads it

Associate
OP
I find it ironic that the most posted in thread on the first page of the linux forum is why people still need windows :p

I have recently tried to get into using ubuntu on a dual boot but i always think oh screw it i will just use 7 and end up not using it. Not because i don't like it but just because i know i can do everything i want fine already.

Soldato
I find it ironic that the most posted in thread on the first page of the linux forum is why people still need windows :p

I have recently tried to get into using ubuntu on a dual boot but i always think oh screw it i will just use 7 and end up not using it. Not because i don't like it but just because i know i can do everything i want fine already.

Probably because you asked people why they need windows?

Soldato
I'm sure you can switch the iPod to hdd mode and just drag and drop the files across? I look into it and get back to you.

interesting if you can find that out for me that would really help me :)

I see it as PSD99's IPOD but when I go into the ipod itself it's got some weird files on it I can't see any of my songs on there not in the right format.

Associate
think it is 4th gen

it will pick it up
but not sure which folder to put the music into so that the ipod reads it

Use gtkPod if you use GNOME, Amarok for KDE. You can transfer files through that. Because Apple has to be Apple it uses a proprietary database system, so even if you move the files directly onto it (ipod control is where the files are stored btw) the database file wouldn't have changed and so it won't show up.

Soldato
Use gtkPod if you use GNOME, Amarok for KDE. You can transfer files through that. Because Apple has to be Apple it uses a proprietary database system, so even if you move the files directly onto it (ipod control is where the files are stored btw) the database file wouldn't have changed and so it won't show up.

thanks I am using ubuntu just got gtkpod installed
clicked on load Ipod and it didn't work (ipod does get detected on the os (ubuntu 9.10)

amarok on the other hand will not start up keeps saying "updating system configuration"
any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom