Lit Fibre

Caporegime
I'd have their arm off if at contract renewal I was given the same price as the promotional one on their website

Associate
LitFibre said in their email that existing customers get charged the same new customers so essentially there's no need to barter for a better deal. However I have a beef with this as new customers get that free 3 months and I didn't. I'm tempted to complain as I think it's false advertising. They also offered 2 months free for you and a friend if you recommened someone to them. What wasn't clear was if the friend would then get a reduced free period (!) or should get 5 months free. When I got managed to pursuade a friend to join he's only getting the 3 months, as any non recommended new person would. LitFibre then emailed me to say thanks for my friend signing up and that were please to be able to give me 1 month free as a reward! I did moan about that one and I am getting 2 months free.

Edit: Yes I am on the 24 month £27 per month deaal with no in contract price rises.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You get 500Mbps for under £30 a month, I wouldn't be pushing to get an introductory offer on top of that.

Either these altnets are going to succeed, or people are going to run them into the ground by expecting them to be the cheapest option going on top of being symmetric, providing good service, static IPs, IPv6, running a 10Gb capable XGS-PON network etc. until there's only Openreach left and then people get to complain all over again that there's no choice.

Last edited:
Soldato
Indeed 500Mb for under 30 quid is soo reasonable it's great. Don't let a few quid get in the way of reliable service.

Race to the bottom results in nothing but trash products.

Associate
I bet most of the altnets are just trying to build a business and consumer base so they can be gobbled by the bigger players and the founders can make some money

Caporegime
Now that the service has been in for nearly two weeks without any problems it might be helpful to post a few images of the setup. First up is the CBT in the chamber, I believe that Lit are using exactly the same units as Openreach.

A cable is then pulled inside your existing Openreach/BT duct and terminated in a splice closure where it's jointed to the more flexible cable that runs inside. This is usually all completed on the single installation visit but my fibre was pulled while the team were building the network because they were on site and Lit hadn't told them not to do it.

Once I've tidied it all up and put the capping back on it looks like this

I ran a 20mm conduit through the wall in advance of any of this work back when Openreach were planning to build, normally you'd get a little white cap over the fibre as it enters your house. I have a double backbox with some space to store slack. The cabling to the router/ONT will be tidied up later.

Edit: It appears that image host is complete toilet. Maybe their servers will be working by the time anybody reads it. Here's an example BQM for Lit:

rCs8QcL.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Lit fibre have just offered me 24 months 1GB symmetrical for £37 a month with 6 months free, been waiting ages for them to come to this area.

Caporegime
3 months free is on an 18-month contract, you don't need to try very hard at all on live chat to get 6 months free on a 24-month term

Last edited:
Soldato
Went through live chat to get 6 months free over 24 months, the door sales guy was quite upset when I told him I signed up over the web :p I’m guessing he was hoping for some commission.

Associate
EDIT: Thanks for the update - it’s not the same design as the cable that ships with the TP-Link TL-PoE10r splitter, but it may yet work. If not obviously resolvable, but think it’ll mean waiting until it’s installed to figure it all out now.
If that splitter works at the end of next week, I’ll update here to share.
Finally got there - some issues with collapsed ducting, and then needed to have some bits put right. Lit have been great in making sure that I’m happy with the end result outside, and they did a stirling job of a tricky fibre draw into the house.

Here’s how it’s powered - may yet buy a white DC cable/jack to make it a bit cleaner, or even use a different plate for where the fibre emerges, but for now this’ll do - at least I’ve managed to avoid worrying about mains power bricks etc!

4Mu0Rpb.jpg

YkDvoRV.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Stumbled across this thread via HUKD while looking for info about using a third party router/AP....

When the guy came round trying to sign people up, I initially said I wouldn't be interested until nearer the end of my current contract with plusnet (october), but have been offered 7mo free (and £27/mo for the remainder at 500mbps), which would take me way beyond that date, and he offered to book the install in for as late as he can (probably end of June). He also mentioned that they were expecting prices to be put up 'soon' (and that they had once but had reduced them again, of course there's every chance they'll do that again...).

He wasn't able to confirm at the door, but called back later after consulting a colleague - Saying I should just be able to use the supplied modem in to my existing network (leaving their router out of the equation).

My router is a Draytek Vigor 2860 (with a TP-link EAP for wifi), which has a 'WAN2' ethernet port, so I think I can just run straight in to that and it should all just work! :D
Planning to keep my plusnet for the first month probably, just in case of any kinks to iron out.

So I'd be very interested in anyone's experiences of using their own kit with Lit (and whether I can expect it to be as plain sailing as I've described above!) - Thanks in advance :)

Associate
Stumbled across this thread via HUKD while looking for info about using a third party router/AP....

When the guy came round trying to sign people up, I initially said I wouldn't be interested until nearer the end of my current contract with plusnet (october), but have been offered 7mo free (and £27/mo for the remainder at 500mbps), which would take me way beyond that date, and he offered to book the install in for as late as he can (probably end of June). He also mentioned that they were expecting prices to be put up 'soon' (and that they had once but had reduced them again, of course there's every chance they'll do that again...).

He wasn't able to confirm at the door, but called back later after consulting a colleague - Saying I should just be able to use the supplied modem in to my existing network (leaving their router out of the equation).

My router is a Draytek Vigor 2860 (with a TP-link EAP for wifi), which has a 'WAN2' ethernet port, so I think I can just run straight in to that and it should all just work! :D
Planning to keep my plusnet for the first month probably, just in case of any kinks to iron out.

So I'd be very interested in anyone's experiences of using their own kit with Lit (and whether I can expect it to be as plain sailing as I've described above!) - Thanks in advance :)
That’s a pretty sweet deal!
I’ve not got their router connected - they are perfectly happy for you to use your own as long as it supports DHCP for the internet connection. I’ve got a Linksys router plugged directly into the ONT without issue.

Of course, they’ll only offer support with their router - so keep it handy in case of any issues, so you can plug it in while they diagnose things!

Associate
I'm using my own router, Opnsense jobbie. I had to change its MAC address for the fixed IP to be picked up correctly from the DHCP (no surprise)

Associate
Thanks guys...
@retuer yup I thought it was a good enough deal to not warrant waiting longer.
I have the option of static/dynamic IP for the WAN Ethernet port, among others, so sounds like I'm all set :) I'll definitely keep the other router in a cupboard, cheers!

@picnic not sure I have the option to change(/spoof) the MAC, was that only required due to your static IP?

Back
Top Bottom