Liverpool or Arsenal tonight? **SPOILERS**

Soldato
Worst performance from us since Bolton, Gilberto needs to be dropped, bring in Diaby who isn't affraid to challange and can pass the ball. Could defo do with v.Persie back as well,

Soldato
I've seen some atrocious Arsenal teams / games in my life and i'm very sad to say that this nearly wins on both counts. Our midfield might as well not have been there, completely ineffective offering no supoprt to the defence and absolutely nothing to attack. Our new African signings fill me with no confidence and the top performers of the last 4 or so seasons look like they can't be bothered. Only Flamini and Jens came out of it with any credibility. I'd have been surprised if Liverpool hadn't won to be honest. Truly shocking even taking our injuries into account. We havent just lost Vieira in midfield we've lost Pires, Llungberg, Gilberto and Cesc. It would be nice to blame it all on Vieira leaving but i can't say it is. Gilberto was a mountain for us last season when Vieira was out so it can't be just that. We just look defeated in every match i've seen us in :(. Roll on 2006-2007 and some proper signings :(.

Soldato
really bad game I thought, with a defence like Arsenals (I know about the injury crisis ;)) I expected Liverpool to score 2 or 3. But Liverpool were quite bad up front as well. Arsene needs to start playing Walcott to see what he's made of. Lehmann had a fantastic game though.

Caporegime
I'm happy with the performance but not the scoreline. We've totally outplayed our opposition yet again and only won 1-0. I don't know what else Morientes has to do for Benitez to drop him. He had chance after chance and the best he could manage were a few headed pass backs. He's had a year in English football and far more support from Benitez than Cisse has ever had. If Fowler had the goal scoring opportunities that Morientes had we could've walked the game. Other than Morientes I thought everyone else played very well. Alonso looked back to his best and Sissoko looked a bit more controlled than usual. Kewell and Gerrard looked dangerous every time they had the ball but need to get crosses in much earlier. Our defence was solid but didn't really get tested. :eek: of the day goes to the Zola flick from Hyypia. Lehmann was class.

Soldato
CliffyG said:
Our new African signings fill me with no confidence and the top performers of the last 4 or so seasons look like they can't be bothered. Only Flamini and Jens came out of it with any credibility. I'd have been surprised if Liverpool hadn't won to be honest. Truly shocking even taking our injuries into account. We havent just lost Vieira in midfield we've lost Pires, Llungberg, Gilberto and Cesc.

Felt Cesc played well, was comfortable on the ball and at least tried a few passes. Pires was poor, but he was great on Saturday and deserved the start. I felt both the Manu's did well. Eboue future is on the wing imo, he has an awesome shot on him, unless he can to learn to defend like Cole did. Adebayor was certainly better than Henry, at least he put some effort in, and he offers something else, he was also unluck to of been ruled offside in the 1st half.

wintereverlong said:
Arsene needs to start playing Walcott to see what he's made of. Lehmann had a fantastic game though.

Can't expect a 16 year old to make any impression at this stage of a season.

Soldato
The biggest battle now for Arsenal is getting that 4th spot from Spurs cause if they loose out on CL football next season, you can forget about and great signings for Arsenal desperately need the CL money.

On top of that, Henry still could very well leave and that would be the knife through the heart.

What shocks me is how bad they have become in 12-months and its like they have to start from scratch.

Soldato
Gooner14 said:
Can't expect a 16 year old to make any impression at this stage of a season.

Are you ageist! :p He should play him a few games this season, most of the players in the team at the minute are all very young. Bring him off the bench to play a bit and then gradually play him more and more in games. I'm sure he's dying to play up front with Henry before he goes this summer :eek: *runs to hide*

Soldato
Cesc doesn't play well on the wings at all imo. He'll get the odd good pass in, but all too often he just ends up anonymous, because it's just not his position. Arsene seems to have far too much faith in Gilberto at the moment, because he played constantly before we got Diaby, and now he's trying to fit all three into the one midfield, which just won't work. IMO It's the midfield where we're lacking the most at the moment. The defence is pretty makeshift, but that's as a result of injuries rather than form, and our forwards can only do so much with what's given to them, whereas our old hands in midfield just don't seem interested this season. I reckon we should start playing with Diaby and Cesc in central midfield, with Reyes on the left and possibly Hleb on the right. They'd at least try, and would show the likes of Gilberto and Pires that their starting places aren't neccesarily automatic, and maybe they'll pull their finger out a bit then.

I still think we've got a fantastic squad full of youngsters on our hands at the moment, and some of them continue to play well despite the problems (Cesc, Flamini, Kolo), and there's great potential in the team, but right now they're depending on the older players to lead and organise them, and it's just not happening.

EDIT: Also, yeah, as G14 says, the lack of Cole or Clichy really does hurt the shape of our team. I don't think it's that much of a coincedence that our 7-0 pasting of Boro just happened to be the only game Cole played between injuries.

Last edited:
Soldato
Scream said:
What shocks me is how bad they have become in 12-months and its like they have to start from scratch.

I think most clubs would struggle if they have played most of the season without a left back. It was arguable our strongest position at the start of the season with 2 class players, who would have bet within a few weeks of each other they would have the same injury.

I really think it effects the way we play, most of moves for the last 3-4years have come down the left, and with no left back the runs don't come off. I think that point was proved in the game against Boro when Cole came on.

It will be 2 seasons without the first choice XI starting a game, that doesn't help.

Weebull said:
I still think we've got a fantastic squad full of youngsters on our hands at the moment, and some of them continue to play well despite the problems (Cesc, Flamini, Kolo), and there's great potential in the team, but right now they're depending on the older players to lead and organise them, and it's just not happening.

The young players have nothing to be sorry for. It's the older players who have been poor this seaosn.

Campbell
Gilberto
Pires
Ljundberg
And to an extent Henry

Soldato
dont believe it.. lost £5 :p

whats going on gunner lads....?

p.s. im a toon fan, i cant stand liverpool... so what is going on.. where has the unbeaten arsenal gone

Soldato
The biggest battle now for Arsenal is getting that 4th spot from Spurs cause if they loose out on CL football next season, you can forget about and great signings for Arsenal desperately need the CL money.

As a cynical Spurs fan, I think Arsenal will do it. :p

Though at the moment, I think Spurs have more to fear from Bolton than Arsenal when it comes to that precious CL spot.

Soldato
Just got home from the match via the boozer. Arsenal came to Anfield looking for a draw and very nearly got it. Liverpool still lack the killer goalscoring outlet and that is about it really.

The game passed Arsenal by, they so so miss Vieira in the midfield. Terry Henry was marshalled superbly by Carragher and the only one who made an attempt at the game was Ljungberg. Where was the Pires of old who would terrorise defences?

Teams dominating football are cyclical, as Arsenal and Man Utd are finding out now. The 70's and 80's belonged to Liverpool, the 90's Man Utd, the first half of the 00s to Arsenal and now it's Chelsea's turn.

Roll on Saturday when we get a chance to get revenge on Man Utd then Benfica on Tuesday.

Soldato
Even with my bitterness toward Liverpool, I think they thoroughly deserved all the points tonight. Arsenal were just appalling. The passing was just rubbish and most occasions, sloppy. Adebayor and Henry just didn't work tonight. Arsenal just cant play done the middle... but they couldn't even play wide tonight. Well done Liverpool :)

Back
Top Bottom