Liverpool Takeover Thread

Soldato
http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~2176582,00.html
PL Statement:
The Board of the Premier League has been kept fully informed of developments regarding the potential sale of Liverpool FC by the Chairman and senior Executives of the Club and has, accordingly, been made aware of a number of potential prospective owners in recent weeks.
We can confirm that Liverpool FC has formally notified the Premier League of an intended change of control and that the Board has undertaken to complete all the necessary processes by Friday 8th October so that the sale of the Club can proceed.

--
So basically, after the 8th its a matter of waiting to (hopefully) win in court next week, and then its final.

Soldato
Sounds like it’s all but done and the legal challenge is merely an act of desperation from H&G.

I can't see any way back for them now. If they win the legal case they still have to pay the debt. If they find finance elsewhere (which is extremely unlikely because it would be huge risk to any lender) they'll have to work with a team who clearly doesn’t want to work with them. They will face a massive fans backlash and they have no money to invest to dig them out of the hole. I really can't understand why they're bothering.

Maybe they want to take the club down with them, sort of if we can have it knowboby can attitude.

Associate
Broughton: 'I have the power to sell Liverpool'
Robert Peston | 14:08 UK time, Wednesday, 6 October 2010 (Link)

I've just interviewed Martin Broughton, chairman of Liverpool since April.

And what struck me was his confidence that he can sell the club from under its owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

He told me that when he took the post of chairman, he received explicit undertakings that he was in charge of selling the club - and that Mr Hicks and Mr Gillett surrendered any right to block a sale to a bidder he deemed most suitable.

Those undertakings will now be tested in court, probably in the middle of next week.

But bankers tell me that if the courts rule against the transfer of Liverpool FC to the new ownership of John Henry and New England Sports Ventures, the sale will still probably go through - although via the ungainly mechanism of Royal Bank of Scotland putting Liverpool into administration (see my earlier post on how this would work).

So it looks like the parent company of the Boston Red Sox will be the proprietor of the Liverpool FC.

It is proposing to pay £300m, of which £200m would pay off the longer term bank debt provided by Royal Bank of Scotland and Wachovia of the US (three quarters of that £200m goes to RBS).

Another £40m would pay off other creditors, such as the local council.

And £60m would stay in the business as debt secured on the stadium plus working capital facilities.

Not even a brass farthing will go to messrs Hicks and Gillett, which means they stand to lose the £140m they've put into the club - and it's why they will do all they can to frustrate the deal.

If, as seems likely, the deal goes through one way or another, Liverpool will once again have relatively modest debts - around £60m -which, as I've said, should feel like something of a liberation.

And Mr Broughton told me he was confident that the new owner wouldn't simply take money out by foisting new borrowings on the club as and when financial markets recover sufficiently - though there aren't any cast iron guarantees to that effect.

Nor has he extracted a binding commitment to build the new Stanley Park stadium. But Mr Broughton pointed to the track record of John Henry in developing sporting facilities in an imaginative way.

Mr Broughton believes that Mr Henry wants to own Liverpool for what the Kop would see as the right reasons - namely to turn it again into a winning club on the field, as the sine qua non of commercial success.

Mr Henry's record at the Boston Red Sox - which has won two World Series under his ownership after decades of ignominy and failure - would make that a plausible assertion.

But although globalisation is increasingly a phenomenon in sport as well in finance, there are still huge cultural differences between sports clubs in different countries. Mr Henry will find much about Liverpool FC unfamiliar, even alien.

So perhaps astutely, Mr Broughton refused to make any prediction of when silverware would once more grace the Liverpool trophy cabinet, to follow the silver raining into Royal Bank of Scotland's coffers.

Seems like they are getting nothing at all whatever happens, in fact they lose £140m.

Caporegime
Can someone tell me why they need an extra £60m to secure "as debt"? Why don't they just give the board the £60m, who can they decide what they need to do with it, eg how much to give the manager, wages, youth investment etc..

Soldato
Can someone tell me why they need an extra £60m to secure "as debt"? Why don't they just give the board the £60m, who can they decide what they need to do with it, eg how much to give the manager, wages, youth investment etc..

Its a loan from the parent company to the club. We then pay interest back on this loan to the parent company. Its the same way G & H "invested ~ £120 million into the club.

Don

It's simply refering to the (unused) £60m credit facility the club already has to begin work on the stadium.

The ~£300m being spoke of is the value of the deal, not the amount of money being paid out. They will actually pay out £240m which will go the banks etc and they will either take on the responsibilty of the £60m facility already in place or replace it with their cash.

edit: As shine says, the £60m will be in the form of a directors/inter-company loan.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's simply refering to the (unused) £60m credit facility the club already has to begin work on the stadium.

The ~£300m being spoke of is the value of the deal, not the amount of money being paid out. They will actually pay out £240m which will go the banks etc and they will take on the responsibilty of the £60m facility already in place.

Oh I see, I'd read it differently. That really is much better than our current situation. :)

Don
Oh I see, I'd read it differently. That really is much better than our current situation. :)

No, you were along the right lines of where the money was coming from, I was just explaining why they needed that extra £60m.

You did mention that we'll have to pay interest on this 'loan'. Although it's very possible, it's not certain.

Caporegime
Its a loan from the parent company to the club. We then pay interest back on this loan to the parent company. Its the same way G & H "invested ~ £120 million into the club.

Right, so its just for the parent company to make a bit of money (understandable given the whacking great debt they are paying off!).

Soldato
Glad the Premier League have now clarified the insolvency and penalty issue now. So even if Liverpool's parent company do go into administration during this debacle, Liverpool wont receive the 9 point penalty, because the club itself is solvent.

Back
Top Bottom