Liverpool Takeover Thread

Don
Ill be a bit dissapointed if the new stadium doesnt go ahead. As much as I like Anfield and what it represents, I do think we need to move on and the new stadium design looked brilliant.

I'm not sure why 'we need to move on'. If a redeveloped Anfield becomes economically viable then I'm all for staying and I'm certain the vast majority of Liverpool fans would agree. The only possible drawback I can see is the fact that we'll be playing infront of 2-3 stands for a couple of years while the redevelopment takes place.

Saying all that, I'd be very surpirsed if plans for redevelopment can compete financially to that of a new stadium. Also it would be far easier for any new owner to sell naming rights (which I'm resigned to happening) to a new stadium compared with Anfield.

Soldato
The council wasn't too happy with the idea of an improved Anfield design, it would mean demolishing quite a few (already empty, admitted) houses etc.

Thats why they originally only approved a new stadium, and to transform the old site into a number of commercial entities which would enhance the local area, as well as housing renovation and major road-works.

Soldato
Lol at Radio 5.
Hicks and MB on the line :p

Hicks: We legally reconstituted the board and we do not accept the transaction'

Journalist: How can you block it?

Hicks: "We have removed Purslow and Ayre"

MB: You cannot do that Tom

Hicks: I Just did

*Hicks hangs up*

Thing is, under PL rules, the PL needs 10 days notice prior to any changing of the board within one of its clubs. Hicks did not seek the PL's permission hence, even if MB didnt hold all the cards, and he does, what hicks is trying to do still cannot be done.
Idiot.

-edit-
Jerno states on air, what i just said above.

Hicks then Emails Radio 5 with:
"That is why there is Law, and Courts!"

Soldato
Am i right in thinking that this is how its going to work, a bloke comes in clears current debts and perhaps a modest cash injection for new players. It solidfies the clubs finances, builds new stadium relies on the income from the extra capacity to finance trasnsfers in the future etc? No Man City/ Chelesea type spending sprees, its a safer enviroment for the club but as i see one that wont get them into the Champions league for a few years, but gives the club good foundations and point to build from, a bit like Randy Lernar at Aston Villa, or even how QPR is being run.

Soldato
Am i right in thinking that this is how its going to work, a bloke comes in clears current debts and perhaps a modest cash injection for new players. It solidfies the clubs finances, builds new stadium relies on the income from the extra capacity to finance trasnsfers in the future etc? No Man City/ Chelesea type spending sprees, its a safer enviroment for the club but as i see one that wont get them into the Champions league for a few years, but gives the club good foundations and point to build from, a bit like Randy Lernar at Aston Villa, or even how QPR is being run.

Kinda, but unlike AV et al, LFC makes a much more significant amount of cash. Even with paying off debt on a stadium, its not outside of the bounds of possibility to have ~£25-30m per year + player sales to spend on players.
-edit-
And their wages.

Associate
Hicks has been texting/emailing this guy on 5Live, his reponse to Broughtons comments saying "He can't sack Purslow & Ayre" was... "That's why there are laws and courts"

What a pathetic man.

Don

Not quite. A source from Liverpool told the reporter the way in which the 'board meeting' went, neither are actually on the radio.

Hicks opened the meeting: We're removing Ayres and Purslow from the board and replacing them with......"

Broughton: You can't do that Tom.

Hicks: I've just done it.

Hicks hangs up :D

edit: The other Hicks stuff are emails/texts between Hicks and the reporter.

Soldato
Kinda, but unlike AV et al, LFC makes a much more significant amount of cash. Even with paying off debt on a stadium, its not outside of the bounds of possibility to have ~£25-30m per year + player sales to spend on players.

Sure thats why i said like, i guess its more like Man Utd pre Glaziers, well apart from Man utd kept winning the league ;) :D

I would also think it a bit strange that the owners can have a company sold from beneath them without any say or compensation, not a fan of H&G, but i would fight with every thing available to either keep my company or get some money back.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not quite. A source from Liverpool told the reporter the way in which the 'board meeting' went, neither are actually on the radio.

Hicks opened the meeting: We're removing Ayres and Purslow from the board and replacing them with......"

Broughton: You can't do that Tom.

Hicks: I've just done it.

Hicks hangs up :D

edit: The other Hicks stuff are emails/texts between Hicks and the reporter.

Got it from twitter, sorry! :(

Soldato
Lol at Radio 5.
Hicks and MB on the line :p

Hicks: We legally reconstituted the board and we do not accept the transaction'

Journalist: How can you block it?

Hicks: "We have removed Purslow and Ayre"

MB: You cannot do that Tom

Hicks: I Just did

*Hicks hangs up*

Thing is, under PL rules, the PL needs 10 days notice prior to any changing of the board within one of its clubs. Hicks did not seek the PL's permission hence, even if MB didnt hold all the cards, and he does, what hicks is trying to do still cannot be done.
Idiot.

-edit-
Jerno states on air, what i just said above.

Hicks then Emails Radio 5 with:
"That is why there is Law, and Courts!"

Coincidence that Broughton accepted a bid 9 days before the RBS deadline? ;)

Soldato
I would also think it a bit strange that the owners can have a company sold from beneath them without any say or compensation, not a fan of H&G, but i would fight with every thing available to either keep my company or get some money back.
It wouldn't happen under normal circumstances. However H&G effectively signed over control as part of the last refinance deal with RBS. The agreement was they could have the money but only if MB was put on the board to make sure the club is sold before the next deadline. They just ran out of time to get the price they wanted and in the meantime the situation has gone from bad to worse.

Last edited:
Soldato
"Anyone know how to cancel a bid on E-Bay? I bid for a Mickey Mouse outfit and am 4 minutes away from owning Liverpool FC."

I don't care if it's old, that's gold.

Soldato
I love how they keep banging on about it being "undervalued" . The club are in bottom half of table, have rather large debts and only a week away from being owned by a bank.

I would say giving those circumstances its not so bad.

yes I understand they are a big supported club, can make money etc... but that all gets thrown out the window when they are in the position they are. Which is around 2 years away from possibly challenging for CL again.

Soldato
yes I understand they are a big supported club, can make money etc... but that all gets thrown out the window when they are in the position they are. Which is around 2 years away from possibly challenging for CL again.

Considering the debts we currently have and the lack of finance option if G & H stayed on its certain that the debt would could cost even more to service. Which would inevitably lead to the top players being sold. This would put us out of reach of a CL place for many many years.

Its true they are losing money on the deal but its the price they have to pay. They had options to sell the club at a profit in 2007 and 2008 but decide to hold out for more. Greed isn't always good.

Man of Honour
Liverpool are just like Newcastle used to be. Think they're a massive club when really they are a midtable team at best with a very average team. Haven't won anything in years. I can't beleive people think they are worth more :confused:

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Liverpool are just like Newcastle used to be. Think they're a massive club when really they are a midtable team at best with a very average team. Haven't won anything in years. I can't beleive people think they are worth more :confused:

we've won the champ league and fa cup in the last 5 years and also been to another chanps league final, so not quite the same as the Geordies;)

Back
Top Bottom