Liverpool to Redevelop Anfield

Don
OP
Neither club has the will to leave the area if they did they would already have gone. One stadium makes much better sense from every perspective except football fans have some weird idea that if they share bricks and mortar it will destroy the soul of their club which I've never understood.

Liverpool don't have the will and won't leave the area but Everton would and very nearly did.

As well as the supporters opposing it there are practical reasons stopping a shared stadium, such as Everton not being able to afford a garden shed. The only was a shared stadium could work would be if it was publicly funded and I'm not sure how that would be in the public's interest.

Regarding your initial point, I'm still not too sure how having 2 stadiums in the area is any different to the local residents compared with one shared stadium. You've still got the same amount of people coming into the area at exactly the same times, causing just as much disturbance as before.

edit: As for the "it works in Italy" argument. It works there because the stadiums are owned by the City rather than the football clubs.

Caporegime
Liverpool don't have the will and won't leave the area but Everton would and very nearly did.

As well as the supporters opposing it there are practical reasons stopping a shared stadium, such as Everton not being able to afford a garden shed. The only was a shared stadium could work would be if it was publicly funded and I'm not sure how that would be in the public's interest.

Regarding your initial point, I'm still not too sure how having 2 stadiums in the area is any different to the local residents compared with one shared stadium. You've still got the same amount of people coming into the area at exactly the same times, causing just as much disturbance as before.

edit: As for the "it works in Italy" argument. It works there because the stadiums are owned by the City rather than the football clubs.

I agree with this to an extent, I think however that a stadium funded by the City of Liverpool could be a huge benefit, but it's how the stadium would be funded which is where in lies the issue, like you said.

Associate
As you mentioned, it's only recently due to money that clubs in Italy have decided to build their own stadia, well not 'just' money but that has played a large role. It's not strictly true about attendances at the San Siro, but they have certainly dropped off in a very big way this season.

It has always baffled me when in a big city two clubs don't share a ground, makes much more sense for a big city.

Also the fact that they have to pay a share in taxes on revenue made from the stadium apparently around 20%... even more reason to leave for the likes of Inter.

I've been following Serie A for years (mainly Inter/Roma) and attendance averages are around 40-50K for both clubs but like I said those would be fine if they had stadiums like an Anfield where it's packed full and doesn't seem like no ones bothered to turn up for the match. Most TV angles are showing the area's where no seats have been sold and it doesn't look good for Serie A.

Juve/Napoli and the only two sides you can guarantee a packed ground every week which is very sad and is also due to the gigantic stadiums these clubs play in.

This season is mainly for Milan there season ticket sales were below 20K Inter still managed to shift around 40K (highest in Italy) after their shocking season last year. And Inter are doing well so far so I'm sure that's risen and Milan well they're doing worse than I hoped for.

Definitely agree about that for most cities as well but it's a unique thing about Italian football that will slowly erode (I'd have liked to see Inter/Milan build a new mega stadium together with a 60-65K capacity) and have two epic stands for both Ultras.

Don
OP
A small update from John Henry regarding our stadium situation:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/10/liverpool-john-w-henry-anfield

It was initially hoped that a planning application would be submitted this summer but it sounds as if we could still be some way away from that. It does seem as if both the plans are ready to be submitted and finance is in place though so hopefully once the remaining homes are purchased, things will move along fairly quickly.

Don
OP
It looks like everything is finally falling into place. The Mayor of Liverpool has confirmed that the final properties holding everything up have finally been purchased and things can begin to move forward. The club are going to release designs for the redevelopment sometime in the next week and hopefully a planning application will be made this summer with work to begin next year.

The Mail have stolen some leaked pics from a fansite that shows part of the redevelopment, although these pictures supposedly aren't the finished design:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...club-prepare-expand-stadium-60-000-seats.html

A 2nd tier will be added to the main stand first and then the upper tier of the Anfield Road end will be replaced with a newer, bigger tier. When completed the capacity will be somewhere in the region of 58,500. The club are said to have plans to fill the corners between the Anfield Road stand and both the Main & Centenary stands which will then take the capacity to 64,000 but there's no suggestion that that will happen straight away.

Associate
+ Liverpool FC have announced their latest “global partnership deal”, signing a multi-year collaboration with US-based restaurant chain Subway.

Sturridge-Subway-01.jpg

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...s/liverpool-fc-subway-announce-global-7022415 :cool:

Don
OP
Can we keep this thread for the stadium. If you want to post that sort of stuff either start a new thread or stick it in the banter thread deano.

Don
OP
An announcement wasn't due until the weekend but I guess the leaked pictures hurried things up. The club have released official designs of the new Main Stand:

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/161747-lfc-reveal-stadium-expansion-vision

The club hope the Stand will be complete by the start of the '16-17 season, bringing the capacity up to around 54,000 with work on the Anfield Road stand to follow, adding another 4,800 seats on top.

Cheers jonney ;)

Soldato
Genuine question - how are Liverpool financing the £150m (surely they dont have the cash in the bank?)

I understand thats the amount of both parts of the project, and this is only the 1st stage but it also sounds like its the bigger /more expensive part?

Obviously they will get a major big injection from the EPL this summer, which should fund a big chunk of the 1st part....

Don
OP
John Henry confirmed sometime ago that funding was already in place. Where that's coming from I don't know but I strongly suspect they'll be some kind of sponsor for the stand (not the stadium).

Soldato
John Henry confirmed sometime ago that funding was already in place. Where that's coming from I don't know but I strongly suspect they'll be some kind of sponsor for the stand (not the stadium).

Fair enough

No disrespect to the club intended, but thats a ***** load of cash just for one stand dont you think - who ever is sponsoring it.

The Budweiser stand?::D

actually - Im thinking of the whole project's cost rather than just one stand so I guess thats more reasonable to understand

Don
OP
The club expect match day revenue to increase by more than £30m per season (before any additional commercial revenue is taken into account). In the grand scheme of things £150m isn't that much. And while I won't write anything off regarding any sponsorship, I'm guessing we wouldn't get the full amount required from a stand sponsor.

One thing the club have said all along is the project has to be cash positive - in other words, once any interest charges, loan repayments are taken into account, there needs to be cash left over from the work or else it isn't worth doing.

Caporegime
Because the stand will be full of Dunkin Donuts, Subways, Costa and the likes. That's how they'll be funding it. They'll have a big picture on the side of the stand of Suarez biting into a donut when its finished.

Soldato
The club expect match day revenue to increase by more than £30m per season (before any additional commercial revenue is taken into account). In the grand scheme of things £150m isn't that much. And while I won't write anything off regarding any sponsorship, I'm guessing we wouldn't get the full amount required from a stand sponsor.

One thing the club have said all along is the project has to be cash positive - in other words, once any interest charges, loan repayments are taken into account, there needs to be cash left over from the work or else it isn't worth doing.

I totally get that, but its about paying for it to start with is the interesting part imo.

No doubt that in the medium to long term Liverpool can make more than enough money to cover any stadium / stand rejuvenation.

Back
Top Bottom