Liverpool to Redevelop Anfield

Caporegime
The vast majority of the main stand seats will be new and the Annie road when it's done.

Oh, well that is good news then. Pity we'll never get safe standing on the Kop, would make the stadium rather nice all around then, but at least that's an improvement.

Don
OP
59,000, they'll never fill it!!11
Seems a bit odd to be starting work mid-season, I assume it's going to reduce capacity for a while?

Nope. They're going to build behind the existing stand and then they'll remove the old roof and join the existing stand to the new teirs in the close season.

Don
OP
Supposedly its fairly straightforward as we're in effect simply adding two tiers on top of the current stand. Do Chelsea have the space to expand backwards? That was the issue for us. For years we were told it wasn't possible but suddenly the council bought up all the properties behind the stand to give us the space.

Soldato
Glad it's finally getting somewhere! I'm going to the Basel game on Tuesday night, I reckon by the next time I manage to get tickets again the new stand will be complete.

Man of Honour
Supposedly its fairly straightforward as we're in effect simply adding two tiers on top of the current stand. Do Chelsea have the space to expand backwards? That was the issue for us. For years we were told it wasn't possible but suddenly the council bought up all the properties behind the stand to give us the space.

The scenario is very similar.
The ground is flanked by railway lines, listed buildings and an ex-serviceman home so space has (apparently) always been an issue but the local council has just changed hands and now, oddly, it seems as if expansion is possible after all.

Caporegime
Glad it's finally getting somewhere! I'm going to the Basel game on Tuesday night, I reckon by the next time I manage to get tickets again the new stand will be complete.

I know the ticket situation sucks but it isn't that bad :p. Looking forward to it myself, hopefully its worth the trip, the other two this year were thankfully.

Are we allowed to sell/exchange tickets on here? Ones I have to exchange on rawk end up with people with bugger all posts taking them, might as well go to someone on here if allowed

Permabanned
CostlyHotCockatoo.gif

Don
OP
Following the clubs' announcement in the summer that they were revising plans for the Anfield Road stand, some details have now been released as part of the public consultation process:

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/an...es-public-consultation-anfield-road-expansion

An additional 7k seats bringing capacity to over 61k. It will cost the club approx £60m and will be self financed. Providing the consultation runs smoothly then a planning application will be made early next year, hopefully with work to begin mid to end of the year.

Don
OP
The second stage of the public consultation starts today. No massive changes from the first stage other than the plans now keep Anfield road open after a few locals objected to the road being closed.

The club have confirmed that they hope to submit a planning application in the next few months with work to begin late this year, ready for the start of the 22/23 season.

Don
OP
I've no idea about Arsenal but did Spurs have to build a new ground? They've built on the exact same plot as the old stadium so I assume that expanding the old ground was an option to them. Either way I'm not sure it's lucky, it's just the situation the club were in. Liverpool aren't in London where they can sell £100+ tickets nor could they have redeveloped the plot of the current stadium into houses and flats and sold them off for millions to fund a new stadium.

Soldato
Yeah lucky maybe isn't the right word. But you are now in an excellent situation where you are the leading team and can capitalise on your position by improving the ground without sacrificing current players or reducing money spent on new ones.

New stadiums cost upwards to 1billion now. And Arsenal have never recovered from the move.

I think the apartments Arsenal built on the old site didn't make them as much money as they thought, as the housing market crashed when they were ready.

I would have preferred they built a stand like the north bank at the clock end. And then filled in the corners. Surely we could have fit over 50k then.

Back
Top Bottom