Living next door to ******?

Soldato
OP
I thought we'd never sell our house due to its location (edge of a rough estate) but was bought to turn into a rental. I guess it goes to show that you can sell anything to the right people but better to not take the risk in the first place.

The people who bought it are not living there and the people who are living there (Probably) have no real long term commitment to really make it their home and will move away as soon as something better comes along.

Permabanned
judging by the severe comments this minority have a very poor public image, a media campaign might be beneficial in order to enable a more positive ***** perception.

any ***** celebs that can help forge a change in public attitude ?

Caporegime
I'm Irish, and travellers are a scourge.

Spent a lot of time in Ireland for business. Both sides of the border. I thought they were hated over here...wow was I surprised! They seem to be universally loathed over there! Apparently they don't need the police/gardai to deal with them as the locals tend to have it all in hand...

Caporegime
I'm guessing it's cheap and therefore all the people saying it will be impossible to sell on dont factor in that it would also be sold for cheap therefore someone will buy if priced right.

Obviously this is a bargaining point and you would want to pay rock bottom in order to be able to sell it for pennies no issue in future.

If the above is correct then go for it. A cheap home is impossible to find these days in the UK.

Using Detroit as as example is like saying there is cheap land available on the moon.

Soldato
Spent a lot of time in Ireland for business. Both sides of the border. I thought they were hated over here...wow was I surprised! They seem to be universally loathed over there! Apparently they don't need the police/gardai to deal with them as the locals tend to have it all in hand...

Which is why you see so many Irish travellers on mainland UK. The police daren't touch them and the public knows they’ll be the ones jailed if they take matters into their own hands.

Associate
No pickeys are scum if they were wiped out off the face of the earth I'd celebrate

Lived in a house not far from a ***** site van broken into out house broken into verbal abuse police wont do Jack

Caporegime
No pickeys are scum if they were wiped out off the face of the earth I'd celebrate

Lived in a house not far from a ***** site van broken into out house broken into verbal abuse police wont do Jack
I agree. I’ve had experiences with them which has reaffirmed my belief that they are one of the lowest forms of human being on earth. World would be a better, and safer place without them.

Soldato
OP
Thankfully the question is moot.

I viewed the house today and it is a dump. "Fixer upper" doesn't even come close really. More a demolishing and rebuild really (Not something I wish to get involved in for now). The proximity of a Travelers site is a minor issue by comparison.

Even the agent seemed nervous about it trying to emphasise that they are not trying to hide anything.

I have seen (Much) better houses in better neighborhoods that went for £30,000 less than the vendor is asking for.

Frankly, The correct response to the current "Offers over" asking price is to roll around on the floor laughing hysterically until the Men in white coats come to take me away (Even without having to consider the travelers for neighbors issue)

You really had to see it to believe it. :eek:

I took a GF with me and afterwards I suggested that perhaps I should show willing and make an offer at 2/3 asking price. But she pointed out that perhaps I shouldn't do this because I might just end up winning it and then what would I do? :p

Actually, at that price it wouldn't be a bad deal and I would be able to deal with its issues. But the traveler camp issue is a major concern so I dont think I will be making an offer even at that price.

Its rather sad really because the current site residents (By all accounts) seem the decent sort (At the very least the "Pitches" dont have caravans on them. They have really rather nice "Mobile Homes")

The problem is you never know what is going to happen in the future especially if there is the possibility of the site being expanded. It is not a risk I would be willing to take.

Anyway, Thanks for comments.

:)

Capodecina
Soldato
If you're going to read and quote someone's post, at least try to comprehend and add the full context. Note the words ''by comparison' in the first part you qouted.
Simple answer - No.

In general if someone claims that (insert any insulting term) are "an issue" but he can't be a bigot because he has a few friends who are (insert any insulting term) there is something inconsistent.

In this case, the thread title is deliberately offensive, it is not excused by subsequently using the term "Traveller".

OK?

Permabanned
Simple answer - No.

In general if someone claims that (insert any insulting term) are "an issue" but he can't be a bigot because he has a few friends who are (insert any insulting term) there is something inconsistent.

In this case, the thread title is deliberately offensive, it is not excused by subsequently using the term "Traveller".

OK?

I wonder if there is any low life group of human beings you wouldn't get in a tiswas over if someone made a derogatory comment about them? I ponder whether whether you are a totally naive nice guy who has shunned human contact and never appreciated there are some total scum around, or are just plain ockard? From criminal tinkers to terrorists, you jump to their defence without any balance at all for their ill doing.

fez

fez

Caporegime
It is interesting how and why it's generally socially accepted to be prejudice as hell against ******/travellers/gypsies, but not any other race/group.

Because there comes a point where prejudice is merited and ****** certainly merit it. There is no other group that is so small in size yet causes so many issues in pretty much any area they show up. Absolute scourge.

My mates who are police all say they are scumbags and they have huge issues with pretty much every camp of gypsies in the area. Considering they are the people who deal with it, I would say they are a good starting point for why people dislike them.

Back
Top Bottom