Living Room with in-wall 7.1.4 and PJ

Soldato
This setup is going to be awesome! The completely built in nature is expensive but will make it seem so sleek and special once it's up and running.

A question for you and the forum in general: with regards room treatment - can you put acoustic panels in the ceiling? I notice there is some extremely stylish textured ceiling which I presume will be plastered over. Any reason you couldn't cut pieces out of that and fit panels there?

Associate
OP
This setup is going to be awesome! The completely built in nature is expensive but will make it seem so sleek and special once it's up and running.

A question for you and the forum in general: with regards room treatment - can you put acoustic panels in the ceiling? I notice there is some extremely stylish textured ceiling which I presume will be plastered over. Any reason you couldn't cut pieces out of that and fit panels there?

I would imagine you could put insulation in the ceiling to prevent sound travelling upwards, but are acoustic panels to prevent echoing sound, which would need to be on the surface?

I'm just guessing there :)

I'm looking into having my own photography printed onto acoustic panels for the wall, we can't have them on the ceiling :)

i am painting the ceiling the same blue as the walls, so that'll at least cut down on light bounced

Last edited:
Soldato
You are definitely going to need the room treatment and antimode. My father's living room was exactly that shape and layout, down to the placement of the coffee table, sofa and subwoofer, and it was a real challenge sorting the bass out. It was pretty much the worst place to put a sofa in in a long rectangular room like that lol

Associate
OP
You are definitely going to need the room treatment and antimode. My father's living room was exactly that shape and layout, down to the placement of the coffee table, sofa and subwoofer, and it was a real challenge sorting the bass out. It was pretty much the worst place to put a sofa in in a long rectangular room like that lol

The subwoofer won't be right in the corner, it'll be about 1/3rd of the way down the room.

There is also plans for more furniture in the room, I'm sure we will get there!

But yes - more furniture, rugs, acoustic art panels, anti-mode and anthem room correction - will happen.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Almost there

21641015_10159617210445227_3050046378898423035_o.jpg

Associate
OP
Looks like an exciting renovation project! What else are you doing to the house? Looks like you'll be enjoying your system soon enough!

Adding 4.5 metres to the lounge, more than doubling the side of it.

Adding a bedroom above that, adding a dormer to the bedroom at the size which has provided a significant boost in space - and then part of that room turned into a shower, basin, toilet room. Because the 4th bedroom at the back covers the master bedroom window, a dormer has been built at the front.

I've kept regularly photographic updates of the project here https://cookhousestory.wordpress.com

rear.jpg

front.jpg

Having new downlights everywhere, Philips hue lighting - 16 colour in the lounge, the rest white.
Having new internal doors

went for bifolds instead of using existing french doors, in the intial plan/render

l1370029.jpg

Soldato
Great blog... I wish I had done something similar for our house works. Eventually it ended up so painful that the diary started slipping. Yours will look amazing once it's done, you'll have tonnes of extra space!

Associate
OP
Thanks Tom,

Something I had been curious about is how bright the projector will be when put in the room, having to project an image at almost 8 metres away.

I decided to satisfy my curiosity, I shot the opposite way it will go – just because there’s an uncovered window at the other end and it would be difficult to project onto.

So bearing in mind the ambient levels were higher than if the window was covered, it’s pretty damn good. Screen here is projected at 120inches wide, which is about the final width – I’m guessing the ratio isn’t correct so it won’t be so tall as shown.

Soldato
Looks like a nice setup! Is there a TV to the left of the computer? Potentially looks like a lot of unused space between the PC and the sofa ?

I agree with sentiments not to use carpet, may not be as good for audio but will look a lot nicer!

Had a quick look at the blog too and looks interesting. Id be a bit scared to paint external walls sitting on the ceiling! But I do weigh around 100kg... Only question is did you not have padstones under your RSJ? Got building Control sign off?

Associate
OP
Looks like a nice setup! Is there a TV to the left of the computer? Potentially looks like a lot of unused space between the PC and the sofa ?

I agree with sentiments not to use carpet, may not be as good for audio but will look a lot nicer!

Had a quick look at the blog too and looks interesting. Id be a bit scared to paint external walls sitting on the ceiling! But I do weigh around 100kg... Only question is did you not have padstones under your RSJ? Got building Control sign off?

Thanks, no TV. The space between the PC and the sofa will be mainly space enough for my Vive VR gaming, and will also be handy to setup lights for a bit of portrait photography work.

We will have rugs, furniture and if needs be i will consider acoustic panels printed with my own photography :)

Sitting on the roof :) I had already been up there with a roller and my wife Louise went out to finish off with the brush, she was uneasy about me being out there.. got a second coat to do this afternoon!

The building inspector has been at his key points and whatever they've done it's all been ok.

I'm so excited for the day I get to wire the speakers up ! yay

Associate
OP
Floor is in now, just need to wait for it to dry and underfloor heating and boards can go down. Hopefully the walls will be dry enough to start painting soon, we’ve got next week booked off work to get on it – also the outside of the house too.

Internal doors arrived today, 9 solid doors.

Associate
OP
Second ceiling coat goes on tomorrow, a couple of the walls have already had a second coat.

Today Mark cut out the speaker holes we me standing over his shoulder, joint effort!

We should be in this room by the end of next week, Monday the electrician will do second fit and then the flooring will put down and the skirting on.

Back
Top Bottom