Locksmith question

Man of Honour
Was he quoted for the work in advance? it has ramifications potentially (unethical/sharp practise), though there isn't an easy way to fight it without incurring more costs.

Soldato
A lot of these emergency locksmith services charge extremely high, arguably extortionate, prices. They take advantage of people that are in a difficult situation and can't rectify it themselves.

In my opinion it is taking advantage, and somewhat sharp practice. It's way more money than it would cost to get a decent tradesperson to replace the lock. However, this is the emergency "service" provided.

Whether it's a "scam" or not depends on whether he agreed to the price first. Regardless, he's paid it now and it would probably be a job to get the money back, unless the credit card company can help.

Soldato
That's 100% disgusting...

I had a replacement lock done about 6 months ago including the actual door bar/locking mechanism/bolt strip - local guy. £150 all in. Gave me receipt / 2 year guarantee and everything.

Report to the police and also call the credit card company to see if they can stop the payment. Explain he's a vulnerable individual. 100% been rinsed.

Also Trading Standards would be very interested

My whole front door including 2 side panes of glass was £1400 and £300 fitting

Last edited:
Soldato
Good point, I have no idea, Eve Security Ltd doesn't pay taxes either?

According to their company accounts they turned over more than £100k last filed year - they should be processing VAT. I'd be on the horn to both Trading Standards and HMRC if this was my Dad they'd fleeced.

Last edited:
Associate
My other half had a door lock replaced in a patio door recently as she'd lost the key, was £75. Wasn't an emergency etc, and he was working from inside so straightforward replacement, But that bill shouts rip-off to me.

Anyone want to guess what "new medium security" actually is, given he has a line for the actual lock.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah that is shocking. The call out charge is about the only thing I'd say was reasonable. Would fitting and adjusting not have come under the labour charge. What on earth is "new medium security" - that sounds like a made up charge. As others have said, there's no way a lock costs that much - unless it was one of the high-end smart locks.

Associate
Does £1456 sound too much for replacing a lock that had a front door key snapped in it? I think my elderly father was scammed.

PXL-20240319-120258162-2.jpg[img]

From my understanding you don't need to replace the whole locking system. Just change the barrel.
I think you should contact your local trading standards.

The locksmith either had to purchase it as was not a common system if so then you could ask for the receipts, if it was a common system then it would be cheap.

How old is your father?
But I think it was a scam
How long was he there for?

Last edited:
Soldato
Credit card charge back 100%
then call trading standards

Exactly the same thing as sales people taking advantage of elderly/vulnerable to sell them something

Last edited:
Soldato
A lot of these emergency locksmith services charge extremely high, arguably extortionate, prices. They take advantage of people that are in a difficult situation and can't rectify it themselves.

In my opinion it is taking advantage, and somewhat sharp practice. It's way more money than it would cost to get a decent tradesperson to replace the lock. However, this is the emergency "service" provided.

Whether it's a "scam" or not depends on whether he agreed to the price first. Regardless, he's paid it now and it would probably be a job to get the money back, unless the credit card company can help.

Generally good post - but I don't agree with the bit in bold.

If a vulnerable person is coerced into agreeing a ludicrous price ahead of time, does that mean they weren't scammed because they agreed to it?

I don't think it's as simple as that.

Back
Top Bottom