Logistics of a wedding on a family farm

Caporegime
Just organise a bus at set times. Or maybe even two or three. Wouldn't be too hard to organise between 40 people.

Be cheaper overall and then everyone, mostly everyone, arrives at the same time

This is a good idea, essentially your own private bus service.

Pick up at X, Y, Z time. Then ask them to call a taxi if they miss the bus.

And then the reverse in the evening.

The obvious thing is this will cost you money.

So this is a wedding i photographed in a field, that belongs to the bride's father.

5vAsudE.jpg

It rained a little on the day, so you need to lay on the the walking route with something, and provide adequate lighting outside.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
This is a good idea, essentially your own private bus service.

Pick up at X, Y, Z time. Then ask them to call a taxi if they miss the bus.

And then the reverse in the evening.

The obvious thing is this will cost you money.

So this is a wedding i photographed in a field, that belongs to the bride's father.

5vAsudE.jpg

It rained a little on the day, so you need to lay on the the walking route with something, and provide adequate lighting outside.
Thanks. Outside lighting is a good point, there are some on the house but the marquee will need some from a generator(s)

Caporegime
Thanks. Outside lighting is a good point, there are some on the house but the marquee will need some from a generator(s)

or get Solar powered lights for your garden, put a few of them perhaps in dark spots that perhaps not main route but still need to be lit. I mean they aren't the best or most reliable, but for like £30-50 you should have like at least 10 of them to put around the place for a few hard to reach areas for your main lights. May be if there is a step in the ground or something, for tripping hazards.

Last edited:
Associate
I tried to organise a birthday party with about 40 guests at a relative's house and found it to be hell.

Despite having a massive car park across the road which we'd asked people to use, a bunch of people figured they could use the driveway "because they're family" and "that's where I always park".

Then the owner got annoyed and put a cone and sign in the drive saying not to park here, which his wife took umbrage with because she thought it was too aggressive for family.

Since then we've booked a cheap local venue with its own car park.

Anyway.

I'm sure you'll make it work, and saving on wedding costs is a no-brainer given how nuts the charges are. But it will probably be a hell of a lot of work to figure all the logistics out with those limitations, and I'd expect the guests to act like morons.

The bigger question to me is who is going to do the shouting, corralling, laying down of the rules? You don't really want someone core to the wedding who is supposed to be enjoying themselves doing that, but that's usually who winds up doing it.

You don't want the best man / father of the bride spending half the day standing in a road redirecting traffic.

Soldato
my youngest went to a big sprawling farm venue in Kent with amazing grounds and barns . also cottages on site to stagger back to , came to over 30k ,they wanted a totally free bar but supplied their own quality wines ect , they live in London btw

Soldato
OP
Anything obvious im forgetting?

Parking - how many spaces for catering / band. Drop offs near local pub. Someone to direct traffic
Portaloos - standard for 2 £400 / luxury £1400. Not all people can use portaloos
Catering - Requires electrics/gas or standalone? Storage of food
Drinks - Bins for empties, anyone working at the 'bar' or free for all. Cans/Bottles in wheelbarrows in ice, wine on tables. Beer Keg
Band - Requires electrics, generator
Marquee - setup and takedown. Big enough for it it rains
Outdoor lighting - battery solar powered
Tables and chairs for marquee and ceremony / hay bales for ceremony seats
Isle - where & dectoration
Master of ceremonies - who?
If it rains - Mud! Marquee big enough for all guests
Post wedding cleanup (and setup)

Other -
Flowers
Cake and stand
Cutlery
Glasses
Napkins and white linen
Table plan
Photographer
Bridesmaid Dresses
Groomswear
Rings
Ceremony fees

Last edited:
Soldato
Isn't it fashionable to hire a photo booth or some form of entertainment these days?

General and table decorations?

Mini gifts for guests?

What's the book called that people can sign/draw willies on?

Last edited:
Associate
Have you considered whether the owners of the farm might need public liability insurance? It is a working farm after all.

Soldato
OP
Have you considered whether the owners of the farm might need public liability insurance? It is a working farm after all.
‘There is no legal requirement to have public liability insurance for a private party’
Wouldnt it be like me going to the same farm for a party and getting injured. Why would public liability insurance be required?

Associate
‘There is no legal requirement to have public liability insurance for a private party’
Wouldnt it be like me going to the same farm for a party and getting injured. Why would public liability insurance be required?
Yes but that's not for a party at a farm is it. I suggest you conisder looking into it with the farm owner. Most likley a farm will have such insurance, but they should consider if hosting a party omn the premises is also covered.

Soldato
OP
Yes but that's not for a party at a farm is it. I suggest you conisder looking into it with the farm owner. Most likley a farm will have such insurance, but they should consider if hosting a party omn the premises is also covered.
There have been multiple parties at the farm before (not weddings) but ~50 odd guests.

Back
Top Bottom