Poll: London mayor stuff

Who are you voting for in the London mayoral election 2016?

• Sadiq Khan - Labour

Votes: 57 23.9%
  • Zac Goldsmith - Conservative

Votes: 81 34.0%
  • Siân Berry - Green

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • Caroline Pidgeon - Liberal Democrat

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Peter Whittle - UKIP

Votes: 35 14.7%
  • David Furness - BNP

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • George Galloway - Respect

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Paul Golding - Britain First

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Ankit Love - One Love

• Sophie Walker - Women's Equality

• Lee Harris - CISTA

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Prince Zylinski - Independent

Votes: 16 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
They tried the standard Lynton Crosby approach of stirring racial tensions but forgot the demographic of London. I've not heard of or read a single article promoting Zac, the closest we've gotten are endless re-hashes of the "Sadiq Khan is a terrorist sympathiser" line.

No option for "im not a londoner?"

It's called 'not clicking on the thread'. In the same way that any other post that doesn't interest you can also be ignored.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thankfully I am not living in London.

As others have said you can't really trust a Goldsmith and neither could you trust Khan. Khan is just a back stabber and is riding the Labour name. He's funded by the wrong sorts of people.

The media attention is so heavily focused on those two that they are missing out on the more competent competition.

Soldato
Magnicifent gaffe from Goldsmith:

The Independent said:
"I am a Bollywood fan," he declared in the interview with Red Carpet News.

"Anything with a Bollywood theme, I will lap it up."

Eager to press Mr Goldsmith further, the interviewer asks: “You say you’re a Bollywood fan – do you have a favourite actor, a favourite film?”

After a short – and markedly excruciating – pause to ponder his answer, Mr Goldsmith responded: “Let me think… No I’m not going to give you one. I can’t think of a favourite."

“You can’t think of a single Bollywood film or actor?” the journalist asks.

An increasingly flustered Mr Goldsmith replies: “I can’t think of a favourite. I love almost everything about Bollywood.

:D

There's been some great captions to this photo too:

H2IdUIy.jpg

"I see Zac Goldsmith can't hold his drink."
"What? He's an alcoholic?"
"No... he literally can't hold his drink"

:D

Soldato
That picture is where I got the "like Zac on a lash" Brexit joke. :p Thrilling stuff. The anti-semitism row has been damaging, but I don't think Crosby's found a good wedge issue this time around, and people are getting a bit tired of people who clearly are coached.

Permabanned
the problem with Owen Jones, apart from his shocking tax hypocrisy is the fact he has shared a platform with some right dodgy people.

Caporegime
Is there a definition of what "sharing a platform" actually means now? Because it's a very grey area and just seems to mean that someone wants to imply that two people have the same views without having to bother to back the claim up with evidence.

Soldato
Can't watchnvideo atm anychance of a summary

Well, there've been claims of Sadiq Khan associating with radicals and extremists; being one by implication, and thus being a potential risk to certain (stupidly profiled and selected) communities in London.

It got backtracked to "sharing a platform" -> bad judgement; to quiet the fallout.

So Owen jumps in to provide his take on the campaign, explaining how a typical Crosby-inspired campaign works. He details how Sadiq got linked with the people Zac's people and leaflets brought up (one from his work as a lawyer, whom he had no option of refusing to represent, and one is a generally politically active chap, who's ended up switching to the Tories and was also canvassing for them).

A bit of drama, some tough words. Broadly on target.

Caporegime
I do sort of get the impression that Zac doesn't want to campaign like this but is merely the face of a much larger beast and has no choice. He got ruined on Sunday Politics and just didn't seem like someone who had any conviction in the claims that he's had to make.

Soldato
I do sort of get the impression that Zac doesn't want to campaign like this but is merely the face of a much larger beast and has no choice. He got ruined on Sunday Politics and just didn't seem like someone who had any conviction in the claims that he's had to make.

His interviews are worth a watch. He just comes across as whipped sometimes, and his case for London's got lost in the negativity. I think he's found himself in the regrettable situation of being put up as an also ran candidate, with an off-chance punt at the mayoralty post-Boris. Hence the rather wayward campaign, the nonsense, the lack of will to go on.

Caporegime
The show even made the point that the two candidates had very similar manifestos and only differed on a pledge about TfL fares and housing. But all that has been lost under a barely disguised "Khan is a Muslim don't vote for a Muslim!". Hopefully it results in defeat and people rightfully consider attempting to run a racially divisive campaign as a bad idea.

Some of the people making claims about how he's from the anti-business side of the Labour party and will therefore ruin the economy in the Capital would do well to brush up on what powers the mayor actually has.

Soldato
The show even made the point that the two candidates had very similar manifestos and only differed on a pledge about TfL fares and housing. But all that has been lost under a barely disguised "Khan is a Muslim don't vote for a Muslim!". Hopefully it results in defeat and people rightfully consider attempting to run a racially divisive campaign as a bad idea.

Some of the people making claims about how he's from the anti-business side of the Labour party and will therefore ruin the economy in the Capital would do well to brush up on what powers the mayor actually has.

Khan is hardly a Corbynista/Old Labour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom