Poll: London mayor stuff

Who are you voting for in the London mayoral election 2016?

• Sadiq Khan - Labour

Votes: 57 23.9%
  • Zac Goldsmith - Conservative

Votes: 81 34.0%
  • Siân Berry - Green

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • Caroline Pidgeon - Liberal Democrat

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Peter Whittle - UKIP

Votes: 35 14.7%
  • David Furness - BNP

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • George Galloway - Respect

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Paul Golding - Britain First

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Ankit Love - One Love

• Sophie Walker - Women's Equality

• Lee Harris - CISTA

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Prince Zylinski - Independent

Votes: 16 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Sadiq Khan and Zac Goldsmith are both Londoners, Galloway is not and was last MP for Bradford West.

Ahhh I see.

Your argument on Goldsmith is out by a similar token you are using against Galloway though. He lived elsewhere for several years and did a tax fiddle to boot.

Sadiq is a solicitor and having met a great deal of those people I can say their perfidy has no depths.

It matters not where they are from, my local MP has only been here for a few years in what is a safe seat for Labour.

Is birth in the city now a prerequisite to accession to office?

Soldato
Is birth in the city now a prerequisite to accession to office?

I never said that they were born in London, I said that they were Londoners. Galloway has no special interest in London, only himself. He'd happily go be mayor anywhere if it gave him a platform in the public eye.

Soldato
I never said that they were born in London, I said that they were Londoners. Galloway has no special interest in London, only himself. He'd happily go be mayor anywhere if it gave him a platform in the public eye.

So living in London for 30yrs means you would favour Galloway over goldsmith then as he has lived there longer when you discount time as a child (before memory or decent comprehension) and his time oversees.

Some of what you say is true about him of course but as a person of principle he is above quite probably any other candidate.

I take it you are a Londoner? Are you or is it true that there is the Evening Standard debate tomorrow?

Soldato
So living in London for 30yrs means you would favour Galloway over goldsmith then as he has lived there longer when you discount time as a child (before memory or decent comprehension) and his time oversees.

Some of what you say is true about him of course but as a person of principle he is above quite probably any other candidate.

I take it you are a Londoner? Are you or is it true that there is the Evening Standard debate tomorrow?

Person of principle?? When he won the Bradford seat he cared so much for his constituency he called it Blackburn!

Soldato
Person of principle?? When he won the Bradford seat he cared so much for his constituency he called it Blackburn!

So a slip of the tongue means he is ineligible and should be disregarded?

You have a guy backed by property tycoons and big business riding the wave of Labour that he ostensibly supports.

You have another guy who has a fortune in the hundreds of millions who understands Londoners (fallacy any way you approach it) who is someone who fiddled his taxes.

Their pledges are what exactly? Who benefits from their options? The people of London or just a handful of people from London? Going off what I've read so far it seems to be both are for the latter and there is infinitesimal differences between them. The Tories have 2 MPs running for Mayor

Soldato
Why do you think Galloway would be a good mayor?

We could point to multiple policies:
50% affordable homes
Compulsory purchase of tax dodge-posit boxes
Free student transport
Influence over looking into City affairs
Uber pressure (who only got in because of it being owned by Camerons friend)
He will actually speak to tube workers and sit down to discuss strikes

I don't or cannot say whether I agree with him on blocking trucks and HGVs in London during the daytime as the parts of London I have visited didn't really register as a problem. It could be that the parts I have visited do not factor this as a major problem.

Compare that with Goldsmith:
50,000 new homes (not giving a figure on social housing) per year (which is in my opinion an impossible task)
Green and eco friendly MP

Khan:
Want 80,000 homes with newly adopted Galloways pledge it seems
Similar plans to zacs follow according to a quick scan of his mayor page

Soldato
Are you one and if so read the Standard?

No I'm not as ascribed earlier regarding view/voice.

I was just curious as there seems to be very little in the way of open debate on the mayoralty and any airtime given seems to be individual in nature. I feel if you had the top 3 candidates in a room we know who would come out on top regardless of the political views one has.

Khan and Goldsmith (particularly Khan after his last ass-whooping) wont want to hold a debate platform. He will be and would be trounced if that went ahead. And what of Goldsmith? We really believe that a man with so much money truly knows Londoners? Living in one of the wealthiest boroughs in London?

Soldato
If Khan debated with Galloway then he'd be targeted as having shared a platform with an unlikable character.

It would be a walk in the park for Galloway.

I even suspect both of ZG and SK of having media support by denying GG a chance to get his views over as he would likely undermine their campaigns. People who wont consider voting for Galloway just because of who he is would -in that context - be foolish indeed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom