Poll: London mayor stuff

Who are you voting for in the London mayoral election 2016?

• Sadiq Khan - Labour

Votes: 57 23.9%
  • Zac Goldsmith - Conservative

Votes: 81 34.0%
  • Siân Berry - Green

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • Caroline Pidgeon - Liberal Democrat

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Peter Whittle - UKIP

Votes: 35 14.7%
  • David Furness - BNP

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • George Galloway - Respect

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Paul Golding - Britain First

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Ankit Love - One Love

• Sophie Walker - Women's Equality

• Lee Harris - CISTA

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Prince Zylinski - Independent

Votes: 16 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Popular leftist MP Sadiq Khan is widely expected to win the mayoral election in a historic landslide:

The opposition Labour candidate Sadiq Khan has a strong lead in final polls before London's mayoral elections on May 5, putting him on course to become the first Muslim leader of a European Union capital.

Key points:

After a bad-tempered campaign, two surveys on Wednesday gave the son of a bus driver a lead of up to 14 points over Zac Goldsmith, his multimillionaire rival from Prime Minister David Cameron's Conservative party.

After a final rally with the Prime Minister, Mr Goldsmith campaigned overnight in a last-minute push for votes, meeting traders at the Billingsgate fish market and helping deliver milk at dawn in the upmarket district of Kensington.

...An Opinium survey for the Evening Standard newspaper put Mr Khan on 35 per cent compared with 26 per cent for Mr Goldsmith.

Mr Khan's lead lengthened once second preference votes were taken into account, to 57 per cent against Mr Goldsmith's 43 per cent.

A second poll, by ComRes for LBC radio and ITV London news, put Mr Khan on 45 per cent and Mr Goldsmith on 36 per cent on first preference votes, moving to 56 per cent and 44 per cent on second preferences.

(Source).

Soldato
I have to say, the lineup is extremely unappealing. I can't think of a single person in this list that I'd actually want to vote for.

Perhaps it goes with the job? Even with beefed up powers, how responsible/powerful is the mayor of London? If people treat the post as a step-up to better things, it'll attract a step-up sort of politician to run for it -- high exposure, low risk. Shame for Londoners though.

Caporegime
What do people really expect a mayor to be able to do that would mean Khan is going to cause any damage? Paul Staines is going to dedicate every waking hour of his life over the next four years to digging up anything he can find that would possibly make Khan look bad or could be viewed as Muslim favouritism. It's not a job that has enough powers to actually cause any real problems.

Soldato
What do people really expect a mayor to be able to do that would mean Khan is going to cause any damage? Paul Staines is going to dedicate every waking hour of his life over the next four years to digging up anything he can find that would possibly make Khan look bad or could be viewed as Muslim favouritism. It's not a job that has enough powers to actually cause any real problems.

That's the beauty of the job: unless the new powers are that grand, I'm really not sure you can do any damage even if you'd tried! Though giving elected mayors more local powers is the long-term goal, at least for the current government.

I wonder if they'll try to portray him as a successor to Red Ken, at odds with the government and isolated in the capital.

Man of Honour
I feel a bit dirty.
I just voted for my brother, I don't necessarily agree (or disagree) with his politics but I found it hard not to vote for him and I've always been an advocate of voting for policies not characters :(
Oh well...

Permabanned
I feel a bit dirty.
I just voted for my brother, I don't necessarily agree (or disagree) with his politics but I found it hard not to vote for him and I've always been an advocate of voting for policies not characters :(
Oh well...

Who is your brother?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom