London pollution & ULEZ

Associate
Khan might attract some adverse publicity if he was seen adopting a French policy.... haven't looked up what revenue he has from parking.

e: in retrospect - related - Nation’s guardrail system can’t handle heavy electric vehicles, crash tests show
They picked a Rivian R1T. It's longer than a hummer h2 pickup, slightly wider than a hummer h2 pickup, and slightly lower than the H2 pickup, while weighing about 5-8% more (according to wiki).

The system was not made to handle vehicles greater than 5,000 pounds.
Shock news - vehicles heavier that 5,000lbs are in fact, heavier than 5,000lbs.

Even the escalade from 2002 was ~5,600lbs, where have they been for 22 years? :rolleyes:

I think it's a bit late for them to be concerned cars might be a bit heavy. :cry:

Soldato
They picked a Rivian R1T. It's longer than a hummer h2 pickup, slightly wider than a hummer h2 pickup, and slightly lower than the H2 pickup, while weighing about 5-8% more (according to wiki).
yes, but did make one think of the complimentary impregnability of central barriers on the typical UK motorway - that are meant to rubber-band constain vehicles on their side.

Last week they were talking about needed eu legislation limiting width of cars to 2m which, contributes to parking&congestion problems.

e: https://www.highwaysmagazine.co.uk/...research-over-EV-crash-barrier-concerns/12112

Last edited:
Man of Honour
A car blogger had taken air quality readings (particulate emissions) at various locations before and after the extension of ULEZ. he found almost the same results and slightly worse in some locations. So according to his testing the ULEZ extension hasn't improved air quality.

Don
Well there are air monitoring boxes all over the place though I may question how well maintained they are.
Yeah, it doesn’t make it clear where the data comes from or whether they’ve compensated for the drop off of older vehicles, which would be a particular impact on the ULEZ given that the most polluting diesels would now be 20 years old so will have been heading to the scrap heap the last few years.

I suspect the monitoring boxes would be ok, not like weather boxes where 80% of them are junk measurements with huge error margins (guess where almost all temperature records are set).

Soldato
didnt lockdown cause a noticable improvement in air quality in built up areas ? if so what was it that caused that if it wasnt transportation?

Yes, yes it did - but then there were fewer planes too. One of the things I quickly noticed was that my windows stayed clean! Normally they last about a week before they're caked again.

It was hugely noticeable where I live near Canary Wharf. Even the canals were showing very clear water.

Caporegime
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom